• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2023 bridge only allows one window. why.

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I used all other previous versions of Bridge, on my 27" iMac 2012 (32 gig 1Tb High Sierra) I could open as many windows as I liked. Usually2 to 3, as I often used it to sort my PSD's etc. and look for multiple images.. (have 250,000+ Posters).

It was so great a tool, that I actually gave 1 hours lectures on it at computer clubs.

(lost that computer after the Feb 2022 floods, when it simply fused when I plugged it back in after. then got a 8Gig M1 imac. (biggest I could buy in Feb)

Now the Bridge 2023 will only let me open on window.  that is a load of @$% to me.. it is a deal breaker... and I want to re install Bridge 2022, but I cant find out where I do that...

anyone know how.?

regards, Sandy

TOPICS
Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is one of the big improvements in that you don't need to open different Bridge windows anymore - you can have muliple Content panels inside Bridge - see https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/bridge/using/whats-new/2023.html. They've introduced this pretty much to enable exactly what you are trying to achieve.
As an aside, when you install a new version of any Adobe software, always keep the previous version installed!  I've still got Bridge 2021 and 2022 for this very reason, new versions often have bugs/issues and you can keep using the old version until the new one is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, but not being able to take a quick glance at what folders are open (ie the images that are in them) is a real PITA, and just having extra content panels doesn't provide the same functionality. There's not even a way to switch between panels with the keyboard (similar to command+`) on a mac, that would scroll through the open windows. The only good thing I see about this new setup is that the panels come back when you quit / re-open (though, I've had issues in the past where a particular folder would contain a file that caused a bridge crash, so that would actually not be helpful in that, admittedly fringe situation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Everyone suggesting this as a solution doesn't understand how many compromises have to be made. These new content panels don't take advantage of OS-level window management features which is incredibly dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content 'tabs' are complete garbage: very difficult to drag n drop selections from one 'tab' to the next', as the reaction time is super slow, and even if its fast, one is looking at a window of content, in context with respect to where the images are in which folder, and then 'switch' to some other context. having a second window—or more—allows one to glance at the window and see the correct destingation. Tabs are completely overrated: designed for people on pc who do everythign in 'full screen' mode. A terrible way to work. And 'undocking' a tab is stupid as you have no context for that new window: no folder, favourites or other 'workflow' tabs. Delete the programmers who decided that this 'feature' is better than tried and true 'new window'. Like in Finder, tabs should be optional, they should—and cannot—replace the full new window. make it a preference 'enable content tabs' and then we can move on. I dont believe any BS that this is programatically hard to do: put back the code. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. Totally 'over-engineered".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a lovely example of the idiocy of 'tabs'. I manage an enormous library of imagery. we are searching for pictures, so i 'undock' a tab, drag it to my secondary screen, to use as my 'destination' folder. Because it has no 'folder' view anymore, i can only navigate within that 'undocked tab' by using the keyboard arrow keys to go up or down into a folder. But when i do this—Bang—the original 'window' from which i undocked the tab—and still contains all the contextual tabs (favourites, folders, metadata, filters etc)—starts jumping up and down in the folder area. this is crazy behaviour: navigating in a window in my secondary screen makes changes in a completely separated window on the primary screen. unbelievably stupid behaviour.  WTF!!!

Second: a bug. when i have the undocked tab open on the second monitor, i cannot preview an image in the original window on my primary screen by using spacebar, as normal. Doing so causes the primary screen to go blank grey, hitting spacebar again brings back the standard browsing view. While i can previw an image on the secondary monitor in the 'undocked tab', i need to drag both windows onto my primary monitor to allow preview by spacebar to work in both windows, thereby destroying the usefulness of the secondary monitor. More unbelievable garbage.

Bring back the code !!

Bring back the code!!

Bring back the good ole' multi window code!!!

ps: i am NOT a 'community beginner', i have been an active Adobe user since photoshop 1.0! and when bridge came out, thought it was a great image organisation solution because it allowed shared tagging, metacontent across a network for multiple users—and this change to usefulness of hte program has got to be one of the worst software 'improvements' to have ever made it out of beta testing. People should be fired for this adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. Work (or used to work) very similar.

Are workflow is now much slower due to this one update. Bonkers, just bonkers.

Bring back the multiple windows Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring back the code !!

Bring back the code!!

Bring back the good ole'

multi window code!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reinstall Bridge 2022 from the CC App.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

The new one window thing is controversial to say the least, I don't find multiple content panels to be usable compared to multiple windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious but....I was confused and disappointed that you could not open a new window in Bridge 2023 until I realised you can undock the content panels. Now I just drag the undocked panel to my second monitor and have more or less what I had with a second window in previous versions of Bridge. The only annoying thing is remembering to make sure a panel has focus when sorting, filtering etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. thanks for the info sounds interesting.. the problem is I am a 70year old old dog, and learning such new tricks it getting beyond me... and it also gives me the pip that there is often no option to revert to work in old ways.. things that I am used to that let me smoothly work as I have done for several decades, and why I had the same computer and OS etc for more than 12 years. if it works and ain't broke, then why try and 'fix it"... which often causes ages of heartache... (been with photoshop since I came out, but started in photography on 10"x8" cameras). then again 'progress' is often not in a straight line... sad. Regards, And thanks for the info... but now I have re-installed Bridge 2022, and it is all working smoothly, I am not going to rock the boat by changing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sympathise Sandy - I am only a very few years behind you in age and also
started out on plate cameras and twin lens reflexes. I am using the
computer I bought over 11 years ago but it has had many new parts and now
will not upgrade to Windows II so I guess I will have to buy a new one.
I don't mind the advancement of software and to be honest I usually find
that the new versions do add something and sort out some problems. My beef -
apart from being old and slow to learn new ways - is that the documentation
is never any good. I suppose they do not want to spend money on getting
skilled writers to produce something which will not gain them any more
profit. So it is left to public spirited YouTube videographers to explain -
and to be honest a lot of them are well meaning but do not have the
necessary skills or knowledge.
It's the world we live in I guess - and at least we are still here! Good
luck with it all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. yes the problem is these 'boffins' can often come up with a "way of working' something that seem Ok to them, and loos track of the sight, that they greater many users are not young technos that can easily grab such complex or "NEW' advancement as easily... too smart for their own good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On first run, Bridge puts up a "Whats new" dialog that explains content tabs. Now, I agree that the devs still have a lot of work to do and should bring back multiple windows, but its difficult to get the news about changes to a user if they ignore attempts to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Undocked contneet tabs are far less useful than entire windows with favorites, preview and meta/kewords.  Adding content tabs feature is great, but removing new window feature is lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. If you have a new content tab, you really do need a new/second folders and meta data tab. I don’t understand why Adobe have implemented this, it takes away so much functionality. Incredibly backwards and restrictive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so disappointing. I can't stand it when software upgrades make things worse. I can't see any benefit in tabs without being able to open a new window. I often have to visually compare one folder against another, and now it's impossible.

It's frustrating when companies have spent time, effort and money on developing/upgrading an app only to make the experience worse. These days it happens far too often. They must go through each upgrade and ask themselves, "is this making things easier"? 

2023 is not an upgrade in the truest sense of the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you completely, barrieg. What is the point of having one visual browser when one must rely on Explorer to "see" other files? The whole point of Bridge is that one can see thumbnails and at varying scale. How can we now compare files with only one window open??? It like playing Concentration, but with subtly different, extremely detailed images!

Honestly Adobe, you screwed up with this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here , here!  Adobe removing the ability for multiple instances is just plain dumb.  Ugh.  Stop trying fix things that arn't broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would always have multiple windows open.
This has changed/limited my whole workflow.

Please bring back multiple Bridge windows.

I don't know why multiple windows has been removed. No idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tab key, no option for multiple windows. Bad calls here.

I always use mulitple windows...well, not any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The latest beta build 14.0.0.57 brings back support for multi-window feature. 
For complete list of features available in the build please refer
https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-available-14-0-0-57/td-p/...

Regards,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of Adobe Bridge 2024 (Version 14.0.0.102).
This release brings back support for ‘Multiple Windows’ along with a few new features.

For a complete list of features available in Bridge 2024 (v14.0), please refer to the community post :
https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-14-0-is-now-available/td-p/14081355

Regards,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bridge Team!

While I did get used to panel feature, it did not work as well as multiple window support did, I am happy multiple windows are back.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines