• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge losing file extensions during batch rename

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue in Bridge CC when doing a batch rename renames the files but they have no file extension after.

Ex. 12345.jpg  becomes 12345  (unknown file type)

Another rename step must be done to add the appropriate extension afterwards. Otherwise they don't know which program to open with.

Has anyone encountered this? Solution?

I don't want to enter a "new extension" field each time because I rename different file types each time, and it should just work like it used to changing the prefix.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

I am on the latest version of CC2017 and I am not seeing this behaviour.

Here is a screenshot using the defaults, the preview button indicates that the filename extensions will be there and that they are correctly handled from the source:

rename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the latest version of CC2017 and I am not seeing this behaviour.

Here is a screenshot using the defaults, the preview button indicates that the filename extensions will be there and that they are correctly handled from the source:

rename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had exactly the same thing. Never used to be a problem now it is! Just left off extensions. Multiple formats, what a pain. Why is this?

Prevented my changing metadata also - worked for about half. No apparent reason. Had to re-batch name with a separate field and manually change extension. Time consuming and VERY irritating. Why does this always happen when you're on a deadline?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't force this without intentional incorrect setup. It has not happened to me with correct setup.

I have not been able to find a semi-auto or auto Bridge fix.

I do have an automated fix using ExifTool!

EDIT: More here:

ExifTool - Automatically Adding Missing File Type Extensions

Mac OS:

exiftool -ext '*' '-filename<%f.$fileTypeExtension' '/Path/To/File Or Folder'

Win OS:

exiftool -ext "*" "-filename<%f.$fileTypeExtension" "C:\Path\To\File or Folder"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! I used to leave the "extension" field out and Bridge would determine each different extension. Now with the upgrades, I'm having all sorts of issues with Bridge, including: VERY slow, spinning ball for almost every function clicked, crashes when reviewing videos. Now, I take the time to re-name my files by cut & paste, in the original folder window and use Bridge as a sorting reference- more time, but less frustrating. If there is a work around to retaining mixed extensions on a Re-name, please let me know> [personal email removed by moderator] NOTE: people of all sorts view these forum threads, it's not wise to leave your personal email viewable by all.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem...grrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide screenshots of the setup and preview button results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this problem too. It appeared after upgrading to cc2020. Real PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this after the most recent upgrade.  I see the document type in the metadata but don't know how to migrate it back to the file name. I could do it manually, but I have about 300 files involved and would like to avoid that.  Needless to say, I will run some tests before I use this capability again. The shoot was not important, but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I found that in the batch rename box, just add another text line at the bottom that adds ".jpg" fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I was shooting both jpg

and .dng so that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Bridge 2023 and had same problem but solved it.

The last box has to be text but the custom text box (where you would type your custom text) has to be left greyed out. See Screen capture below.

This way if you have a folder of photos and videos for example it will keep the extensions unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Onag What you can do is to separate them by size. The raw images should be 3-4 times the size of the JPG versions. After separating them by the size you then can do a batch rename with the suffix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines