• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error writing metadata

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a day updating the keywords on all my photos (around 20K). At the end of the day Bridge crashed and lost all my changes.

I am now getting a problem with the "Message - Error writing metadata" on certain random files and when I try to change the keywords.

I am using a Mac 11.4 with Bridge version 10.1.1.166. My files are on my local machine.

Your help would be appreciated...

Chris

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Keywords , Metadata , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you assign metadata, a crash doesn't magically make it go away. As for the errors, you could have file corruption or (more likely) permissions errors. Look through posts on here, there are a number with info about fixing permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lumigraphics

I can assure you that I did spend a day on restructuring and reassigning the keywords on photos in Bridge. At the end of the day Bridge crashed and the changes hadn't saved.

I have looked at the article: https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/how-can-i-give-bridge-permission-to-access-my-files/m-p/113339...

and implemented the recommendations but it hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I been going through Google and have found the following recommendations:

a) I installed the 11.1 camera raw plugin

b) I have installed the latest version of Bridge

c) I have changed the system preferences of two different machines that I use

d) I have moved the files into a local drive and tested from there.

Sadly none of these options have worked. Does anyone have any more suggestions? 

It is very flustrating and time consuming...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords are written immediately. Bridge crashing cannot remove keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to concur on a couple of things: Bridge is a viewer with lots of capabilities. But when it's looking at a file(s), and you assign various metadata to that file(s), when you leave that file and go onto the next, the data remains with that file(s). If Bridge crashed, it's not going to go back and delete all of the things in the file(s) that it is no longer working with.

This is no different than if you opened a Word file, did something, left that file, went onto the next and then Word crashes. The contents of that first file are not affected. The only difference in my analogy is that you have to save the Word file but when you add metadata to a file, when you close that window the contents are self-saved.

If all of your changes were lost, something else happened, it wasn't Bridge that lost those changes. It can't have been.

Now, that doesn't mean something didn't happen, obviously something did. There are several things that I'd like you to try and maybe we can boil this down and find the issues. My guess is that something happened on your Mac that is causing the error message that you're getting AND caused the loss of metadata.

One thought here before I provide you with a buch of maintenance tasks: you said you have some 20 K images on your main hard drive. Really? How big is your hard drive? And much more important, how much free space do you have left on your computer? Generally, you should always have at least 1/3 - 1/4 hard drive space left on your computer at all times so it can do what it needs to do. I wonder if this might be some (or all) of your problem. Please check this now and if your hard drive is almost full, get yourself two external drives and start moving your images onto one of the external drives (the 2nd one is to back up the first drive).

Otherwise, here are some self-maintenance things that you can do that will cost nothing but a little time.

1) Go Download Catalina Cache Cleaner. It's free to download and you have a full use trial period. In the end, if you don't like it, toss it but it has helped me a number of times. If you buy it the charge is nominal. It does a variety of things but the two you should try is the general maintenance operations, click on ALL and then click on Run. (These are things that are supposed to be self-run by the Mac OS while the computer is asleep but this just guarantees that they are done.) Then click on the Cache tab, select the Middle option and run in on all Caches. (Note: it will seem like nothing has happened  but wait a few minutes and then you'll have to restart your computer. Just be patient)

If that does not clear things up, then...

2) Go into Safe Mode. Restart your computer and when the screen goes black, press the Shift key until the progress bar is displaying for a minute or two. This startup will take a lot longer than you think it should and if it's much much longer, that means that the Mac is doing a lot of repair on your system. Your Mac will run ridiculously slow after you start up and if you want to see if Bridge is crashing or not you can but I can't say it will make much of a difference. 

If that does not clear things up, then...

3) Go into Repair Mode: Restart your computer and when the screen goes black press the Option + Command + r keys. When you see a glob spinning, you can let go. This will take a long time, 5-20 minutes depending on your Internet speeds. During this you may or may not be asked to sign into your wifi (if you're on wifi). [One option to get around this delay is if you have a partition with an operating system on your computer or a separate hard drive to boot up off of.] Now go into Disk First Aid and see this dropdown menu in upper left corner of the DFA and select Show All Devices:

gary_sc_0-1626561933020.png

(If you do not see this, restart into a normal startup and then repeat #3.) Once selected, you should see your hard drive displaying something like this. (It will be different because I took these screenshots running DFA while I'm writing this.)

gary_sc_1-1626561933020.png

Now, run this from top down. That is select a top offering, and run the process. If you see any errors, run it again. Then, once clean do the next one, etc. The last one is "(your hard drive)" - Data." Once that one is running clean, restart.

Once these are done, then restart Bridge with your fingers on the Shift-Command-Option keys. This will bring up a window asking if you want to trash your Bridge's preferences (or something like that). Click yes. See if that solves the error messages.

Lastly, good luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary

I really appreciate your detailed answer.

With regard to space on my machine I have nearly 1TB of space on my machine. I am recreating the situation on my laptop which gives me similar problems. My thinking is is that it is the files that are damaged (as your instructions suggest). I have also run Bridge with 1 of the files rather than the whole 20K to try and isolate the problem which seems to be support the problem is with the files rather than the machine(s). I suspect the files were damaged when Bridge crashed.

I was very hopeful that your instructions would repair the damaged files but although I am confident I have followed the intructions correctly. It hasn't worked. Do you have any other suggestions? 

I really appreciate your help to date...

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

No, what I was putting forth is the first part of a two part issue. Part 1, which you've done is to verify that your computer is back to proper operation. IF the files were fine but the computer had an issue, let's fix that first. IF the files were bad, the worst thing that happened is that you've made sure it's not your computer AND you've done a bunch of proper maintenance.

If it's one of 20k files, than settle back, it's could be a bumpy ride. Basically what you need to do is to fine that/those file(s). I am unuaware of any investigative approach to find a bad file, hopefully someone will pop up and tell us a better way but I do not know it. 

What I'd do is to take half of the files and run them. If nothing happens bad, then do half of the remaining. If nothing happens bad than take half the remaining. If something does go bad, take half of that batch and see if it goes bad. 

You get the drift. Using this process, you can narrow the list down to find the errant file(s). 

And I really mean it: good luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gary

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately the only time I know there is a problem file is when I get an error message in Bridge. I have started to make a list of the problem files but don't know how many it relates to in total. I just took one of those files and isolated it to look and how you could fix the problem (whether it was a problem only in Bridge or whether it was a wider computer problem).

I'm still no wiser about how to fix the problem... Thanks for your help and any more wisdom you can throw my way.

Best

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines