• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insufficient Permissions Problem when trying to move or rename folder.

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to move a folder into another folder and I keep getting the following message:
The operation cannot be completed because you do not haqve sufficient permissions.

I have tried emptying my cache in Bridge and also tried closing and reopening Bridge. Didn't work.
Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem.
Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to move the folders outside of Bridge? Maybe it's a permissions issue on your computer. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, I can move folders around when I'm not in Bridge. And it only does this sometimes, not with all folders. I am also getting the same message when I try to rename a folder - but again, only some times, not always. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says you are on Windows, macs can have permission issues. I'm a Mac user. Are you writing to your internal drive or somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by writing to my internal drive? I am simply
trying to change the name of a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does the folder live, on your c drive or an external or a server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It lives on an external drive. I don't use my C drive for my graphics because I have so many of them  and I need to keep my C drive mainly for my programs like Photoshop that take up a lot of space. I'm not sure how that would affect it and like I said, it only happens some of the time not every time. Sometimes I can move a folder just fine and the next time I can't. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I am also having a problem changing the names on the folders...only some of the time. Sometimes I can change them just fine and other times I get that stupid message. Thanks for asking. I hope some of us can get that figured out. We can no longer phone Adobe for support and that really ticks me off  because sometimes it takes forever to figure something out and we, or at least I, am paying them every month and no service. Anyway, you didn't offer to help to listen to me whine so I'll get off my soap box now. LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the answer, but knowing it's an external drive makes a difference. Hopefully someone can chime in and help. When you are working on your graphics, you should copy them to your c drive, do you work and then put them back. . Don't work on them on the external, it will be slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'll move this to the Bridge forum. 

Does the external disk go to power save mode? does it happen as soon as you connect it, or after a given time only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When this happens to a specific folder R-click that folder and check its file permission's.

Windows is goofy  sometimes.  Some app enforce the requirements some don't

Also some register issues can cause it.

What I indicate to people on windows that use a external drive is to go into the windows system settings and under each device name check the power management profile. This is especially important for laptops.

Windows power management will shut down USB devices to save power. Causes all sorts of problems.

Unfortunately windows 11 makes that harder to do.

I would check each folder when it happens and make sure you have permission to make changes to the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines