• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's okay. I was trying, as Hudechrome said, to just point in the right direction. When I went searching, I found both CS6 and CC in that plugins folder of my computer. But, yes, it's a good thing to point out that it's really the CC file a person wants. For that reason, I listed the actual location of both. Meanwhile, I plan to leave my sticky, barely competent paws off the entire thing for as long as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C6 and CC don't play well together. Since I am having a problem with Bridge CC crashing, I decided to try CS6, but funny thing happened on the way to Photoshop. It insisted on opening PSCS6. If I pre open PSCC and then point ACR(which is the same for CS6) nothing happens.

So Steve aka CG, hoew can I get ACR 8.1.0.43, accessed through Bridge CS6, to point to PSCC? I know that I could open a file in CS5 from CS6 Bridge/ACR. I had a choice which appears I do not here.

The plot thickens....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little confused.  CS6 and CC will have differenent ACR 8.x versions each stored in its own file.    Much like CS5 and CS6.  So unclear about pointing ACR from CS6 to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, moot anyway. Bridge CS6 also crashes.

I have a lot of stuff crashing it seems or simply not quite right. I've run SFC, memtest etc to see if I have corrupted components but these check out ok.

I have a nice (not!) task in front of me. I hope I don't have to re-install the OS, but if I do, I'll take this opportunity to install an SSD first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little confused. CS6 and CC will have differenent ACR 8.x versions each stored in its own file.

It is indeed confusing, to my understanding the files are both the same, only ACR in CS6 doesn't offer the newer options created for ACR in CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take this opportunity to install an SSD first.

You will certainly benefit from that in speed. Processing is not faster, saving and opining are much faster. Cache also goes much faster because it writes the previews faster to a SSD then a HDD

It is very hard to interact between different suite versions using Bridge. Start up scripts do not make this easier I'm afraid, maybe you need a dedicated script for this and will it be more a question for the Bridge scripting forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If indeed crashing take a look at the Event Log in Win. OS.  See if you can find Faulting Module, were problem resides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and posted it above (495), to which Steve responded.

I've been running multiple checks, heavy malware/virus checking, SFC, Memtest etc just to make sure I don't have defective hardware.

The fact that I'm seeing things like failure in sidebar exe (the gadgets panel) both Bridge versions, certain filters do not like Open CL and such, all suddenly raises overall concerns about the health of the OS. It's been running since ??? However, it's mighty suspicious that this all occurred after upgrading to CC!

I may see if Process Explorer can shed any light. It's been years since having to use it, since I "traded in" XP for Win 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like graphics driver to me. Maybe a coincidence.

Are we using this thread for everything now? 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just this since it is a Bridge issue at first.

Too much to go into and it shouldn't be the driver as Noel has zero problems with it.

If I need to take it further, I'll do a new posting, likely in The Cloud. Everything changed after going CC.

Going CC appears to be equivalent to going nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Too much to go into and it shouldn't be the driver as Noel has zero problems with it.

Do you have the same GPU as Noel? If not, then that logic doesn't really apply, as drivers work differently with different GPUs.

Edit: BTW I have the same GPU as Noel—the AMD Radeon HD 7850—and I am running Catalyst 13.4 without any trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well of course. I know that. My purpose in stating it is that for some, the current drivers work flawlessly.

I have the 7750. I have run certain versions ok where Noel and others have problems. Further, this and several of the most recent do not give DxO any problems. There was a time neither DxO or PS tolerated the drivers with respect to OpenCL.

The acid test would be to roll back to an earlier version that did work, around to which I intend to get. First I need to solve the other instabilities I observe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct in that I'm seeing no GPU problems at all with the 7850 and Catalyst 13.4.

I know the 7750 and 7850 are at least related, since a single unified driver set is used to run them both, but there is definitely a difference in the hardware - the speed is pretty different.  There could therefore be differences in how well the drivers implement certain functions.  I'm not saying I believe there are such differences at the root of what you're seeing, but there could be.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, the regeneration problem is not entirely solved for me but at least it's manageable. At first when I installed CC (raw version 8.0) nothing regenerated. Now I'm getting minor regenerations but since I made sure 'create 100% previews' was unchecked, the regeneration is lightning fast and, actually, only involves a handful of images (say 15 for a folder of 200). and once that happens, it settles down and doesn't happen again, even after I have worked in raw on a particular image,  until I go to another folder. I am wondering what might happen if I upgrade to raw 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that yours and mine are working similarly at this time. Minor, fast revisions upon revisiting a folder which interfere not at all with functioning.

As to the video driver, the cause is instability. I did an update to the OS, using the update feature during OS installation. I used a bootable DVD developed from the latest Win 7 SP1. That cured the problems in PS, BUT, now most of the Windows Updates (73 out of 102!) fail to install.

Inasmuch as this is a prelude to the installation of an SSD, to which I intended to clone the OS and programs, it seems that my best option is a clean install.

Well, anyway, I have 4 days to do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, hudechrome, are you on PS6 or PS CC. And do you have RAW 8.0 or 8.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC, 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's actually a bit comforting. i was worried that updating from 8.0 to 8.1 would bring, uh, problems. what camera? what OS? I know you've probably said before but I don't recall. As always, thks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 7 64, Nikon various, D80 to D7100.

Your questions are making me think deeper into this SSD upgrade. I have both CS 6 and CC on this computer. I have many FF bookmarks etc, all lost unless I can mitigate their losses.

It's almost easier building a totally new computer, then migrating select items to the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I so wish you were in the Seattle, WA, area. When it was time for me to update all (more powerful processor, SSD hard drive) I had a local IT genius do it. He retained all my programs, everything. Except for the fact that I now have an internal non SSD hard drive for 'archival' images and the internal SSD for my program files and current image work, it all looks and works exactly the same. Like you WIN 7, 64. Except my cameras are canon. I canNOT believe how freekin fast that SSD with my current processor, etc, is. Where are you on this earth? I'm amazed at how widespread the folks on this forum are. It's like having a 21st century version of pen pals. Only this goes much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Portland!

If I guess right, he did the same as I did...use the upgrade feature in Win 7 install, which I did as well. But for some g..dam reason, it will not fully update  Windows Update.

I'll be e-mailing Noel about this. No doubt he has (or will be ) reading this.

Windows Backup has separate backups for OS and programs from data files. If I can get it to only restore that, I'll get most of what I want to retain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post your website? i'd like to email you directly with the info on my IT guy. If you run into a total wall, you are not THAT far. You could drive your computer up here. He's in the SODO district of Seattle (just south of downtown). This guy works miracles. When alleged tech guys said my computer couldn't be cloned w/o having to reload all my programs, he did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No website, but you can e-mail me at 10101-lg001@usa.net.

It can be cloned an I probably can do it but the source of the clone seems yet unstable. I have to solve that first.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you're talking about Windows 7, if you're confident your hardware is the source of your issues you can create a System Image backup from your C: volume, then restore that on another system that has a big enough C: drive to fit it all. 

Unless the hardware is egregiously different (e.g., requires oddball drivers) such restorals just boot up and work.  Windows notices the hardware changes and sets up the drivers.  All the times I upgraded workstations running Windows 7 in the past few years (Dell Precision 490 to T5400, then HDD to SSD in the T5400, then T5400 to T5500) this is how I did it.

You'll have to reactivate Windows and probably a few other applications.  A call to Microsoft gets the Windows reactivation done.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally discovered the problem. Slooow HD! Would you believe a min write speed of under 10M? No wonder! The drive otherwise checked out fine but until now, I didn't benchmark it. It's all over the map!

It's a Hitachi 2.5" drive. Why it slowed I don't know. Tomorrow I'll install the Samsung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines