• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Denoise AI and Pentax K3 MKIII DNG files - not working

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any noise reduction using Denoise AI on Pentax K3iii DNG files in Lightroom Classic v12.3. Any future solution to this issue?

Thanks

Tom

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

I've opened a bug for investigation. I've downloaded two of your sample files to attach to the bug. 

Thank you for the report.

Note:  this thread will be updated when we have more information available. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
95 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - it's a really easy problem to solve, and Adobe is just it's taking time to spite you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not an easy problem to solve. The AI algorithm has to be trained and how do you do that. Feed it with the millions of Pentax images floating around on the web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotonor: I don't think that insufficient training material is the problem because the denoise function is working perfectly well with older Pentax raw files from K30/K50 and even prehistoric PEFs from my K100D.
There must be a technical reason that DNGs from K3-iii etc. cannot be denoised easily. I tried DxO PureRaw and it shows the same behaviour.
Anyway: ACR 16.1 has been released, no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The older cameras you mention, have raw files with raw data. They have a noise profile which is identical to all other cameras which output raw data. The new situation with K-3 III (and a few other Pentax models) is that they have inbuilt noise suppression. That means the raw data in the dng file is not "raw" anymore, but processed and have a completely different noise than K-50. The result of this is that the AI algorithm has to be trained to be able to recognize the noise from K-3 III and which is unique to K-3 III. 

For Adobe, this means they have to train AI for a specific camera modell instead of using a generic model that works for all cameras without inbuilt noise suppression. That is not an easy task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "easy" thing to do, was that Pentax made this inbuilt noise suppression on raw files optional. I dont need my camera to remove noise when PC software is better at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotonor: ok, that makes sense - thanks for the explanation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with that but that will not happen. Hopefully we still can use Topaz Denoise on non-RAW file, but that would be nice to have an official statement from Adobe because at the moment Lightroom do not display any error or warning, but just do nothing on the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be good if Lightroom threw up an error right now but there is an official statement pinned by Rikk above:

"Note:  a change is required by the manufacturer before this issue can be resolved. "

So there must be some issue with the pentax files that prevents AI denoise from working on these. I have no clue what that could be but it must make the noise behave completely differently from normal. It does indeed look very differently in character than what I see from my cameras in the files posted here which all show noise limited by the physics of the image capture process which means it must be preprocessed somehow by the pentax cameras. Topaz is surprisingly bad too (although a tiny bit better than Adobe's denoise but far worse than similar files from my cameras) at removing noise from these files. This means something is different about them indeed that doesn't correspond to normal noise in such files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:  Ricoh GR3 raw files rated as compatible. After applying denoise to the file not much changes no matter of the scale of applied denoise 0-100.

Lightroom Classic version: 13.1

OS and version: macOS 14.12

Expected result: Lightroom Classic should do denoise reduction comparable to files from other cameras.

Actual result: Lightroom Classic does not apply denoise properly.

Uploaded  Test files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering when can we have the AI Noise Reduction feature support for Ricoh GR III and GR IIIx?? Now its not working at all.

Sorely missed, as the manual options arent doing good enough with these rather noisy sensors at night (otherwise brilliant IQ cameras)...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you shooting in jpeg? AI Denoise is supported for all raw files that are supported, and the raw files of these two cameras have been supported in Lightroom Classic for a long time. https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga Raw files from the Ricoh cameras have the same issue as the Pentax that the thread is about. AI denoise does nothing to the noise in the images. Just confirmed with some files from: https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9930153897/ricoh-gr-iii-sample-gallery/6881829042 and yeah, AI denoise does not reduce the noise in those files at all either. I think perhaps the raw files on this camera are also preprocessed by the camera before writing out so AI denoise can't do its job anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always get DxO PhotoLab and use it's AI/ML NR and then export DNG to be used in ACR/LR ... just like with Adobe you of course will be saddled with an extra DNG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DxO can, so there is no reason why Adobe in principle can not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jao vdL Thanks. When I wrote my answer, the question wasn't merged with this thread yet, so I wasn't aware of the issue.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always get DxO PhotoLab and use it's AI/ML NR and then export DNG to be used in ACR/LR ... just like with Adobe you of course will be saddled with an extra DNG

I don't have DxO but I do have Topaz PhotoAI and it also cannot remove the noise from the Ricoh files I linked to above (https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9930153897/ricoh-gr-iii-sample-gallery/6881829042 I used the ISO 1600 image of green flowers). The problem is the files the camera produces just like with the Pentax K3 where Photo AI and other AI noise reduction software also won't work, so this issue is not unique to Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have DxO but I do have Topaz PhotoAI and it also cannot remove the noise from the Ricoh files I linked to above

wrong bet on tools on your part... DxO can remove that noise ( DeepPrime seems to work better than DeepPrimeXD ) from those Ricoh raw files

>  The problem is the files the camera produces just like with the Pentax K3 where Photo AI and other AI noise reduction software also won't work, so this issue is not unique to Lightroom. 

as noted there is no problem - DxO PL AI/ML NR works on those raw files... just get the tools that actually work, stop complaining

PS: and as a bonus DxO PL comes with optics corrections for your Ricoh's... so DNG you will export to ACR/LR will have both NR and optics corrections already applied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, I own a K3iii (edited) and I ahve the same issue not having the AI denoise reduction working as expected. All the sftware are updated and I can add  the same issue is using .PEF file produced with the camera not only using the .DNG file. I do not know if this is relevant for the guys that are investigating but the question is : as far as you know any statement from Adobe? Any idea of solution if planned? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Redukcja Szumów AI nie poprawia zdjeć zrobionych aparatmi marki Pentax plików PEF zdjecie jest tak samo zaszumione jak było jest tylko wyostrzone.

Lightroom Classic 13.1 i 13.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ale na początku to odszumianie działało i to nawet fajnie. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, j'ai changé d'ordi et mon nouvel iMac 2023 M3 est moins efficace dans la suppression du bruit avec l'IA de camera Raw. Le précédent (intel core i5) était très lent (10 mn) mais le résultat était concluant. À présent il n'y pas de différence entre le dng original (sans denoise) et le fichier dng avec accentuation. Une explication ? La version de Photoshop pour les puces d'Apple serait-elle responsable ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To chip in: I have the same problem with my K-3 MK iii. I would love to stay with Lightroom. I liked the denoise with my K-5 and Lightroom is easy to use but if this doesn't get fixed, I might not continue my subscription and switch to DxO PhotoLab. There I can use denoise although it is not as good as what I have seen with Lightroom and my K-5, imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, denoise of a Pentax XF RAW file inefficient with LightRoom Classic.
I changed computer and my new iMac 2023 M3 is less efficient in noise removal with camera Raw AI. The previous one (intel core i5) was very slow (10 mn) but the result was conclusive. Now there's no difference between the original dng (without denoise) and the dng file with sharpening. Any explanation? Could the version of Photoshop for Apple chips be responsible?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An error in my previous post: it's a Pentax KF, not a Pentax XF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just done a noise reduction test with another camera model (Lumix dmc- FZ300) and the noise was removed in 20 seconds. So the problem isn't with the Apple M3 chip, but with Pentax's raw files, which Camera Raw doesn't interpret correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate