• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: ICC Table Profiles clipped shadows under OSX

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've just found a really bad issue occurring in Lr 5 (but also in all other Lightroom versions) under Mac OSX 10.9 with a calibrated monitor: dark shadows (from a value of 20 to 0) are all clipped (pure black with no detail and no textures) while the histogram remains ok, indicating NO clipped shadows at all. This issue afflics also ACR.

Photoshop for now is the only software under MAC that reproduces dark shadows correctly: Library Module shows a bit darker and shifted shadows than Ps but acceptable, Develop Module is really bad showing brutally clipped shadows (but you work in the Develop Module right?!).

The same problem occurred also in OSX 10.8 but it was related only to LUT profiles, creating a Matrix based profile problems were solved.

Now the issue occurs with both Matrix and LUT profiles, v2 and v4. There's no apparent way to make Lr working right.

Under Windows no problems at all: Bridge, Photoshop, ACR, Lr (Library Module and Develop Module) show the same correct NOT clipped shadows.

I tested 8 different Mac running 10.9 with different GPU, different monitors, different profiling Softwares (Color Eyes Display Pro, Eizo Color Navigator, BasICC Color, i1 Profiler). Same results.
I tried to change the gamma value (2.2, sRGB, L*) problems remain. I tried to change ICC version (v2, v4) problems reamain. I tried to change profile type (LUT, MATRIX) problems remain.

How can a photographer work professionally on RAW images if shadows are bad reproduced?

Why Photoshop can reproduce shadows correctly while Lr isn't able to do that?

Why this happens only on a Mac enviroment?

Is Lr based on ColorSync (that can't handle profiles correctly) while Ps isn't (because it can handle and it has no problem)?

Please Adobe, FIX IT for all professional photographers, we can’t use Lr for serious works under Mac.

Max Ramuschi
Adobe Certified Expert

p.s.: Added a 100% Crop screenshots that shows the problem, some photos are even worse...

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
DNG Converter , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014
Should be fixed in Lightroom 5.7: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014
An update: Eric has identified the source of the clipping issue and we are currently testing a solution. More info as it becomes available. Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 166 Replies 166
166 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, if I turn OFF black point compensation in PS, I got the same "clipped shadows" as in all modules in LR. Well, do we have to turn it OFF?
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Black...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem still exists when GPU acceleration is tuned on. This is why even Photoshop shows clipped shadows when using Liquify with GPU acceleration turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX is not possible to reproduce proper blacks in Lightroom on my machine. I have tu turn GPU acceleration off and use the softproof-function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.2, still shadows bug present: when GPU is turned on Develop Module doesn't apply black point compensation and Eizo users are experiencing black clipped shardows in Windows.

Hello Adobe? Is there anybody there? I remind you that there was no issue in Lightroom CC. The problem has been introduced in Lightroom cc 2015 and it's still present in 2015.2.

Please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, Adobe should turn on black point compensation in Lightroom develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please try using Prophoto as workingspace in Photoshop. You will probably then not se any difference between LR and Photoshop anymore. The problem is Eizo ColorEdge monitor in CAL modus have wider colorgamut than Adobe98, and LR show all these extra colors, and contrast get higher too. If your workingspace in Photoshop are Adobe98, the image will look a little bit duller than LR

the white area are ordinary Eizo monitor profile (CAL mode)created with Color Navigator, the color area are Adobe98

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the problem. I already export to photoshop in prophoto. OpenGl color management does not apply black point compensation in Lightroom. If you turn off opengl disabling GPU support everything is fine. But I would use GPU support in Lr. It's time to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps turn off "reflect black level in tone curve" in Color Navigator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works, but the created profile is really bad, with >3 dE values for some colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really bad? I got litte more than >3 dE in one specific very
dark blue and one dark green, and >2 in other 4-5 patches of total 134 patches, ISO 12646 profile. I keep the profile until Adobe fix the black point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer turning off GPU, but yes,it might be a temporary solution. The real solution is to fix The issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6.7 with same bug still present (macOS Sierra).Turning off "Use Graphics Processor" helps only in Develop module, but Library module still wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sierra, Lightroom 6.7 and bug still exist in Library module and Develop (if Graphics Processor turned OFF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sierra, Lightroom 6.7 and bug exist in Library module and Develop (if Graphics Processor turned OFF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sierra, Lightroom 6.7 and bug exist in Library module and Develop (if Graphics Processor turned OFF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Writing from forums.adobe.com because Jao vdL suggested me to do so.

Updated to 6.8 version of Lightroom and problem exists on very dark images:
STILL:
"When "Use Graphics Processor" switched ON: Develop is OK (same as Soft Proofing), Library is NOT"Use Graphics Processor" switched OFF: Develop and Library are NOT and have clipped shadows

I would get over it (even with bug in Library, which still should not be present), but can't have to have "Use Graphics Processor" switched ON because of occasional flickering."

I use default "Display" profile, but it also is not working on any other profile and software calibration which Apple provides. Suggesting that this is a bad monitor profile is bit tricky, because it seams that LR6 is not working on out of the box configuration of my MacBook (MBP mid 2015, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB without external monitor).

The problem is that for me Adobe solved this problem only for DEVELOP module with "Use Graphics Processor" switched ON. In every other option problem still exists, mainly in LIBRARY module - which means that the problem is linked not only to the graphic card processing chain, but to the way macOS Sierra/LR6 interprets ICC profiles.

The funny thing is that the same RAW files in Finder's QuickLook are displayed as they should, and also in Capture One, but not in LR6.

spec: macOS Sierra, MBP 15 (mid 2015), 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048  MB

Votes

Translate

Translate