• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG profile Editor "cannot read color patches..."

May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me mad.

I bought a very expensive SpyderCheckr 24 color chart in order to do my camera profiles with DNG PE.

I am using a Oly E3. I have converted the Oly ORF files to DNG.

Then I open DNG PE and i select the DNG file. it opens fine.

I move the dots to their correct places, (with DNG PE "chart" tab selected)

I leave "both color tables"

select Create Color Table

and I get a dialog saying Cannot read color patches. Please use the four color circles to identify the four corner patches of the chart and try again.

What is going on?

Someone please help, I bought the chart for this use only!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

> very different?

DNG PE does not allow a user to supply a target definition - so you only can feed a target with patches following certain sequence/arragement of "colors" and certain pigment formulation... even assuming that SpyderCheckr 24 has pigments sufficiently closely matching CC24/Passport for "hoi polloi" level of profile creation the arrangement is not the same...

>  My bad for thinking the industry would be smart enough to STANDARDISE a basic calibration instrument like a 24 colour cal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me the issue ... could it be as stupid as this... is that on my chart the cyan patch is on the left and the brown patch on the right. DNG PE has the cyan dot on the right and the brown dot on the left. If you place the dots on the correct patches (therefore crossing them over) the dialog comes and says PE cannot creat color patch.

But if you just leave them where they are (the cyan dot is then on the brown patch and the brown dot on the cyan patch)

well in that case DNG PE WILL create a color patch. only problem is that it will get the colors wrong, specially the brown whcich goes sort of red.

I read somewhere that DNG PE had an orientation issue  some time ago, but it had been fixed. maybe not?

Can someone help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why don't you upload original raw file + converted DNG somewhere and share the link to both files ? unless you have a nude model in the frame holding the target 🙂 ... otherwise please do - greater chances to get help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new. I don't really know how to upload stuff.

the dng is 11MB so too big for this forum yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am new.

oh dear... then suggestion about you using something very different from CC24 patches arrangments sounds very true 🙂 ... RTFM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very different? it's exactly the same chart apart from one raw of colours which are in a different sequence.

My bad for thinking the industry would be smart enough to STANDARDISE a basic calibration instrument like a 24 colour calibration chart.

RTFM? the manual says to use a 24 colour chart... which is what i bought, it does not specify a particular make over another.

SpyderChekr people certainly are very bad for not pointing out in any of their info that their chart has a different arrangement in one single raw of colours.

I will follow your advise as per your other message.

thanks

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> very different?

DNG PE does not allow a user to supply a target definition - so you only can feed a target with patches following certain sequence/arragement of "colors" and certain pigment formulation... even assuming that SpyderCheckr 24 has pigments sufficiently closely matching CC24/Passport for "hoi polloi" level of profile creation the arrangement is not the same...

>  My bad for thinking the industry would be smart enough to STANDARDISE a basic calibration instrument like a 24 colour calibration chart.

which industry you are talking about ? there is no industry for that... or may be http://www.basiccolor.de/  is the only one left and their  Input AFAIK supports arbitrary target definitions - that what a proper software shall do.

> RTFM? the manual says to use a 24 colour chart...

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocumen...  is very clear "24-patch ColorChecker Chart" ... ___ColorChecker___ is (tm) owned by some X-Rite subsidiary and before by GmB  and before by Macbeth and it is always meant the particular arrangement of "colors" (pigments were subject to some changes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for these clarifications.

By industry I meant the photo industry in general.

As I said Spydercheckr I believe should make it clear that their arrangement is different from the CC24 chart

I might do ab experiment, cut out the raw of patches in question, and just swing it around so that the arrangement matches the 24CC chart, and see what happens.

Best regards and thanks for answering my question in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

by all means simply return the spydercheckr back to the store, get your refund and buy X-Rite passport or CC24 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so options are

1) use software that comes with that target (if it makes profiles, not recipes)

2) return the target buy product from X-Rite
3) get software that can handle different patches arrangement - I think BasiCColor Input has a free trial period of 2 weeks and it can probably handle various targets and make dcp profiles... there are other options like dcamprof but they are not exactly GUI - so require a lot of reading and you must use command line
4) find the way to upload the raw file somewhere (file sharing service, Amazon drive, Google drive, etc) - then somebody out here can make you a profile using BasiCColor Input or dcamprof

---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to upload to photobucket and provide a link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photobucket will not let me upload such large files either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you have the wrong chart, DNG PE requires the XRite ColorChecker chart, similar to the SpyderChekr 24 BUT a different arrangement.  The ColorChecker chart has been the standard for several decades.

Richard Southworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines