• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw.
Post Lightroom Feedback here

The Photography team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. 

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI-powered Generative Remove does not appear to work with an HDR Merge image.  It doesn't matter if applied to the base images before the merge or to the merged image itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really happy with this AI funktion. It helped a lot! But today I opened catalog on my second computer and my worke was gone. I had to make update. But it didnt work! I  got an error message: Lightroom Classic

Skipped 1 Generative Remove spot. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush appears on the tool panel, but when I move it over the image, it disappears, and I cannot brush on the unwanted item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the Gen AI results are fabulously good, but ...

♦ Total removal of an object (and replacement with the very simple background of the image — with no shadows — following all of the techniques suggested by Adobe and others) has been frustratingly elusive at times.

♦ Successful object removal (with some very successful content fill) has twice left a shadow of the removed object that wouldn't have been there in the first place.  The false shadow is not exactly replacing the removed object, but offset (both x- and y-axis in the most recent case) as if the removed object is present out of frame and casting a shadow into the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new feature is doing fairly well. I haven't attempted anything major, only some small, circular, reflective flairs that were distracting. It's quite slow to process even for a very small area. But it's new, so I imagine that will get faster. An option to feather the selection would make the results more natural-looking too. 

The ability to "undo" by step instead of undoing all of it would be extremely helpful, as well! 
Looking forward to what this will be able to do all in-app in the future! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removals weren't there when I reopened the file again later to make adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just starting to use the AI remove tool. What I am noticing is that in the place I have removed something there is a left over lack of detail (soft)  that gives an obvious place of removel. I opted to "Denoise." at 50% and it helped a lot. However It is still noticible where the object was. I will say that so far this operation is over all very good. As always it needs more tweaking. The goal is to get "Clone" quality in the replaced area. I'm sure a forensics expert could still see a change/alteration. Keep up the good work and i'm sure it will get greatly improved over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useless until there is no high resolution (strange pattern)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spending less time editing my photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be directed by text as is the generative fill in PS. Even if you select a large area, if you have a dominating black feature, it will maintain the feature and / or produce a visual result which is off tonally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request: Noise Adjustment Slider in Remove Palette

Using Lightroom Classic's early access "Remove" palette Generative AI feature, it would be immensely helpful to add and adjust the amount of noise over the selected area being filled. Introducing a noise adjustment slider within the Remove palette would greatly enhance the tool's flexibility and efficiency.

Currently, adding noise to the filled area is easier in Photoshop because Generative Fills create their own smart object layers. Unfortunately, this level of control isn't available in Lightroom Classic as it stands. The Generative AI tool works well for removing logos from complex textures, such as clothing or a basketball. However, the filled areas often appear too smooth, possibly due to low-resolution generation, making the edits noticeable. A bit of noise can significantly improve the realism, making the filled area nearly indistinguishable to the eye.

Although it's possible to remask the area and add noise using an isolated brush, this method is redundant and problematic. It’s challenging to distinguish the previous mask, leading to potential errors where noise might be missed or added incorrectly.

Suggested Solution:
- Noise Adjustment Slider: Add a slider within the Remove palette for real-time adjustment of noise levels.
- Real-time Preview: Provide a live preview of noise application to fine-tune the effect instantly.
- Seamless Integration: Ensure the noise adjustment integrates smoothly with the Generative AI fill, maintaining workflow efficiency.

Benefits:
- Enhanced Realism: Adds subtle noise to blend the filled area with the surrounding texture, improving the overall result.
- Streamlined Workflow: Simplifies the process, eliminating the need to switch between Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Precision Editing: Prevents mistakes and ensures consistent noise application within the same tool.

Conclusion:
Implementing a noise adjustment slider in the Lightroom Classic "Remove" palette would significantly improve the tool's usability and effectiveness, making it a more powerful and user-friendly option for professional photo editing. Thank you for considering this feature enhancement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ne yazık ki, elektrik direkleri gibi bazı elemanlar kaldırılamaz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to remove something with generative AI in LrC and got a fail notice and to try later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to remove items in LrC only to find a substitute item in its place.  I am ensuring the selected area covers all of the selected item yet I'm still getting no joy.  I am having to use the lasso tool in PS instead so it's actually increasing my workflow for many files. I am stopping using the LrC tool until it is improved.  When it works however, it works well....just not often enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let's try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not ready to take a walk on the wildside, I need a bit more reality right now, it's like there is too much plastic out there. I will eventually expermint to understand but still not ready for the whole Enchilada!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The heal, remove and clone all need separate toggles so that the history doesn't affect all spot removal.  Currently you can't clone, remove and heal in one image.  It's all heal, all remove or all clone.  Not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Currently you can't clone, remove and heal in one image.  It's all heal, all remove or all clone."

This is incorrect. You can mix and match tools with the same image by exiting the Brush Tool panel and re-entering it when you can select a different tool without affecting previous ones. Use the B key as a toggle to achieve this so pressing B twice in succession will effect this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically getting there, butr as the reviews say, there is a darck patch after the Object is removed. Also its slows down the machine to a great deal, specially lens BLUR.  working on a M2 Mac studio , sonoma 32 gb ram. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be cool if generative remove would only remove the object and not replace it with some other object. This thing can generate all kinds of wonky objects, but can't seem to generate a corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest frustration with AI generation (for removal of something in the image) in ACR is the loss of keeping an iteration and then trying to see if it can do something better. 

By this, I mean that I get three options: #1 is OK, #2 is not good, and #3 is bad. I now select to refresh, and all three are worse than #1 from before, but I've removed it. If the second set had another one that was considered OK, I could have compared them side by side, but that's gone as well. It's really bad when the second set is bad and I've removed the OK version which could have been fixed to make it fine.

Is there any way to keep one or more of a set of three to "bank" it/them, for future comparisons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding that it wants to "replace" rather than "remove". Swapping a pole for another type of pole for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using AI generative Remove for about two weeks now and I must say sometimes it works fantastic.

But sometimes it is impossible to control. I am mainly using the tool to remove items that disturb in my picture. My main interest is to remove artifacts that disturb me and let the AI generate the perfect background that fits in the original surrounding, like the "Entfernen" Tool in photoshop 2024 which I do use often after the raw or dng process

Unfortunately  the AI Remove tool for Lightroom classic is to much into creating new things to substitute the removed stuff.

For example if Idid remove a lamp it is creating new different style lamps instead of filling perfectly the hole.

As I work in a documentary style photography this is mainly not what I need and it would be great to find a solution for people, that just want to let disappear little disturbing artifacts and nobody would recognize it after.

Why do you not try, beside that main topic of generating new things, to work just on a tool that 100% helps for to let disappear disturbing stuff and you cant see that it was there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not perfect, but ...

I've had better luck getting clean and usable (sometimes amazingly good) removals if I plan the removal  and execute it ►before I do anything else◄  to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm frustrated with the new version because when it comes to spot removal, it keeps asking for an update and does not save the changes I made, which is costing me a huge amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines