• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Display Focus Points

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon cameras stores the focus point that was in focus and the exposure was taken. This would be extremely valuable to see for a sports/action/wildlife photographer.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 175 Replies 175
175 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be really valuable!  (I'm mostly on Canon, some iPhone.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering if I was missing a basic feature that I cannot find in Lightroom.

I'm referring to the ability to display a focus map over the photos, just like any camera with a focus assist functionality does, highlighting in red the outlines of high-contrast features while previewing or reviewing a shot.

Capture One has had this functionality for over 10 years now, which they call focus mask.

For me not having this function would be a dealbreaker; as a professional photographer I might take dozens or hundreds of shots, then I need to select the best one, and having to check the focus by hand enlarging and panning around each and every shot is a ridiculous waste of time... 

I'd be really surprised if Adobe Lightroom has not yet implemented it... I mean, it's Adobe we're talking about, right?

So, where can I find this functionality?

I had a look at plugins as well, but they're either discontinued or not working with my Leica SL2.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After years of being patient and praying for Adobe LR to come out with an update to enable visability of focal points....I'VE GIVEN UP!  I shoot w/ a sony A7iii and as many are aware, the only place to truely review focus points are in camera.  I mean seriously, this is shocking to me.  One of the best mirorless cameras on the market and yet LR (one of the best PP platforms on the market) still won't offer it?  i'm shocked.  Adobe, what is going on?  Tell us why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buongiorno - in tanti utenti desidereremmo un plugin/implementazione ufficiale Adobe che dia la possibilità di visualizzare i punti di messa a fuoco attivi così come si visualizzano sul display della camera almeno nella sessione libreria (fosse possibile anche nella sessione di lavoro/sviluppo ma non credo) - al momento ci sono soluzioni proposte in web di terze parti ma non so quanto affidabili soprattutto per i probabili problemi di compatibilità con un servizio anline/onair/oncloud - grazie mille

Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 - Windows 10 Pro_64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do remember third party plug-ins for this. But not Adobe. One huge problem is that those plug-ins do not work for all cameras. Apparently some in camera Metadata is required, and not all camera manufacturers apply that Metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grazie GoldingD per il contributo - al momento ho montato questo plugin (http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/) e funziona abbastanza bene con Nikon D series - non è però aggiornato con Nikon Z series - spero comunque che Adobe possa/voglia implementare una soluzione ufficiale per chi ha queste esigenze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all of the improvements to LR over the last few years, there has yet to be an ability to view where your focus point is in a photo without using a plug-in.  It would seem that this information is there in the photo, but LR does not have an algorithm to access it -- it requires opening a plug-in, waiting for it to find the focus point and then the cumberson moves to look at all the shots in a filmstrip using the plug-in.  Ugh. It is a important feature that will allow users to better improve their photos while keeping their workflow much smoother than accessing a plug-in.  With all of the mentions of it in my search, it is clear that many others agree with me that this is sadly missing from such a powerful program.  Adding this feature would also benefit those who shoot Canon CR3 files, as the current plug-ins do not support that format. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but LR does not have an algorithm to access it
we shall assume you already wrote to Canon asking it to provide that "algorithm to access it" 🙂 ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your snark is a bit annoying but whatever.  I shoot Nikon, just thinking of those I know who cannot use the focus point plug in.  If you don't think it's a worthy feature to have in LR, feel free to ignore my post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo 

Auch ich benötige dieses Tool unbedingt. Allerdings sollte es mit Adobe Bridge funktionieren dass man den verwendeten Focuspunkt visualisiert. 

Bitte danke Aichi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have this feature too for SonyA74

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to view focus point in lightroom.

From a search it seems that a plugin is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to view focus point in lightroom.

By @bobt62193092

Actually Lightroom doesn't support the viewing of the focus point

From a search it seems that a plugin is required.

By @bobt62193092

Yes you're right. You'll need a plugin like this:

Show Focus Points Plugin for Lightroom (lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some expereience of this but wouldn't describe myself as an expert. I do have the same problem as you.

I used to have an intel Mac and sucessfully used the Focuspoints plugin.

As far as I can understand you need 2 things for this to work,

a) a supported camera

b) an intel cpu.

Now looking at your system details you have included you have the required cpu? ut you need to check your camera on the pluspoints web site.

I f anyone can tell me where I can find the equivalent to work on an M1 Mac witha Nikon Z7II i would be grateful as my foucus points plugin no longere works. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just some background info, one reason that I have heard is that focus points aren’t reported in Lightroom Classic because there is no standard way that cameras save focus point metadata, and Adobe focuses on the EXIF/IPTC data that is standardized across the industry. They leave it to the plug-in developers to reverse-engineer how different cameras do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idea:

I propose adding a feature that enables users to zoom onto the actual focus point in the image at the specified zoom level using a shortcut key, such as the spacebar, with a setting that can be enabled/disabled.

How will the feature help your workflow?

Currently when reviewing thousands of images quickly, I have to always use the mouse to zoom into the focus point, which adds a lot of time when culling thousands of images daily. I often zoom in using the space bar into the centre of the image, but often times the main focus point is not there. Therefore being able to zoom in quickly directly to where the focus point is would save hours on culling monthly.

In the past, this feature might not have been as useful, as DSLR focus points were more limited. However, with the rise of mirrorless cameras focusing on precise points such as the eye, it has become increasingly important to have the ability to zoom onto these exact points for detailed examination and editing.

In my workflow, which involves sorting through thousands of images daily and selecting the top ones based on their focus quality, this feature would be invaluable. Being able to quickly and effortlessly zoom onto the precise focus point of each image would greatly enhance my efficiency and streamline my selection process.

Alternative Implementation

An alternative implementation of this feature could utilize existing face detection technology to automatically zoom into faces at a specified zoom level when focus points are not available. This would further improve usability and cater to a wider range of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be helpful to be able to see focus point on images prior to import and in the devleop screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@evanr81585361, I'm not a fan of Lr's tools or layout, which is why I use Capture One. I'm not downing Lr; it's just my preference. I have the PS + Lr bundle on the CC, but I rarely use PS and haven't used Lr for at least two years now. That said, it would be nice if post-process applications made their focus points more like you see in the camera, including Capture One.

Votes

Translate

Translate