• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary Widget - Captivate 8

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to get the Glossary widget to show/hide in Captivate.

I am using Captivate 8.

Thanks!

Arwen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Put it on the first slide, time it for the rest of the project and always on top.

Then create a toggle shape button to show/hide it. You'll need a user variable v_visib with a default value of 0, and this conditional action (I would create a shared action, can be used for a lot of goals):

IF v_visib is equal to 0

Show i_Gloss     where i_gloss is the glossary interaction

Toggle v_visib

ELSE

Hide i_Gloss

Toggle v_visib

That shape button can be put on the master slide or also on the first

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put it on the first slide, time it for the rest of the project and always on top.

Then create a toggle shape button to show/hide it. You'll need a user variable v_visib with a default value of 0, and this conditional action (I would create a shared action, can be used for a lot of goals):

IF v_visib is equal to 0

Show i_Gloss     where i_gloss is the glossary interaction

Toggle v_visib

ELSE

Hide i_Gloss

Toggle v_visib

That shape button can be put on the master slide or also on the first slide and timed for the rest of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help.

Your answers are always very clear to follow and help me greatly.

This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Lilybiri,

Thanks for the help!  Is there a way to toggle the glossary widget (or any image for that matter) on and off with a fade transition?  In other words, it doesn't abruptly disappear and reappear, but fades out and in?

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Do you start all of this with the standard glossary interaction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have NEVER been able to get the Glossary interaction to work for me.  I love the idea of it, have created one that needs to go with 9 courses in a curriculum.  I have followed your instructions, along with several others I found on YouTube and I cannot get it to work... using Captivate 2019.  It is making me crazy!!  I am going to try to redo it with a blank project just to see if i can get it to work there.   Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason the Glossary interaction does not work is that your Glossary entries include characters that are not permitted.  These characters are usually the same ones that would be used in JavaScript programming and the browser sees them where it is not expecting them and stops displaying the Glossary as a result.

First test with a new blank project and add the Glossary interaction to a slide but do NOT add any entries.  Test using HTML5 in Browser preview.  I would bet it works at that point.

Then start adding your Glossary entries one at a time, test publishing each time.  You will soon find where there is an entry that kills the Glossary.

To be honest, I never add my entries to a Glossary by typing them into the widget.  I always use the option to import the entries from an XML file.  I have elsewhere on this forum explained the process for using an Excel spreadsheet to hold all the entries and then how to convert this spreadsheet to an XML file that is compatible with the Glossary.  Try searching for that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you, i will try the XML file route, this has me ready to bang my head on the wall!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources