• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I show a hand cursor for a text entry box button

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 5 and have run into an annoying problem...

For a general click box, there is an option for "Show hand cursor over hit area" which will result in the cursor changing to a hand when rolling over the click box region in the published presentation.  I want to do the same for the 'submit' button in the text entry box. Is this even possible?  I'm hoping to keep things consistent as a user is clicking through the presentation.

I find it odd that it doesn't have the same property as found on the clickbox considering it has the same purpose.  I'm using a background screenshot image to simulate an entry in an application, so I'm actualy hiding the submit button, but the button I want them to press lacks the hand cursor that would indicate it is clickable.  I don't want to use a click box to allow the user to move on because I still want a failure in the text entry box to prevent the user from moving on.

Hope that all makes sense.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Hi there

Another approach is to use a Rollover Caption. Just remove any text and configure the caption as transparent. Then layer the Rollover area over the part where you want the hand to change to a cursor. The net effect will be that the cursor change will occur. Clicking will then result in triggering the underlying Submit button, which appers to be invisible and layered over an image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Denalii,

Although "Show hand cursor over hit area" is not available on Text Entry Box (Submit Button)

As you mentioned in your post that you have a screenshot image on your presentation and you are hiding the submit button.

So what you can do you can insert a rollover caption on that submit button which will prompt a message "Click here to submit your Answer", once user move moved the mouse on the submit button, it looks like this :

Test.JPG

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Another approach is to use a Rollover Caption. Just remove any text and configure the caption as transparent. Then layer the Rollover area over the part where you want the hand to change to a cursor. The net effect will be that the cursor change will occur. Clicking will then result in triggering the underlying Submit button, which appers to be invisible and layered over an image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you both.

Captiv8r's solution gives the effect I was hoping for.  I actually ended up arriving at a similar solution with Vik's suggestion.  I just placed the rollover caption off the page.  The result is the same as making it invisible I suppose.  I wonder if there are side effects in an item being placed off the actual page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all. I had a similar problem with a Training/Software Simulation. Basically it's a login form for a web based app. I've made a 2 step login interaction. My goal was to provide this functionality:

1. Enter a username in a text entry box. Validate the username for "admin" (not case-sensitive). Advance to the next screen with "Tab" or click on the password filed.

2. Enter the password in a text entry box. Validate the password (case-sensitive). Advance with "Enter" or click on the Login button (part of the underlying screenshot).

By using the Submit button of the Text Entry Box we can not make the cursor change to hand so the User/Student doesn't have the visual confirmation.

I used the Advanced Actions for the password but I wasn't able to use them also for the username filed because there is no action that can compare non Case-Sensitive string. So I will describe here the "Execute JavaScript" solution here.

Username step

1. Insert a Text Entry Box. Checkboxes checked: Retain Text, Validate User Input, Infinite Attempts. On Success: Go to the Next Slide. I've set the "Tab" key for entry confirmation.
  2. Set a meaningful variable name for the Text Entry Box. My is "_username".
  3. Insert a rectangle shape where the password field is and check "Use as Button", "Infinite Attempts", "Hand Cursor". Make all states of the shape/button transparent. On Success: Execute JavaScript. Type/paste this code into the "Script_Window":
    var usernameTmp

usernameTmp = _username.toLowerCase();

if (usernameTmp=="admin") {
    cp.goToNextSlide();
    }

Where "_username" is the name of the variable of the Text Entry Box.

Password step

1. Insert a Text Entry Box. Checkboxes checked: Retain Text, Password Field, Validate User Input, Infinite Attempts. On Success: Go to the Next Slide. I've set the "Enter" key for entry confirmation.
  2. Set a meaningful variable name for the Text Entry Box. My is "_password".
  3. Insert a rectangle shape where the original Log In button is and check "Use as Button", "Infinite Attempts", "Hand Cursor". Make all states of the shape/button transparent. On Success: Execute JavaScript. Type/paste this code into the "Script_Window":
    if (_password=="YourPassword") {
    cp.goToNextSlide();
    }

And that's it. There is one drawback tho. Now you can preview the project only in "HTML5 in Browser" mode for those slides where you use the JavaScript method.

Some Captivate JavaScript refference:
https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/09/getting-started-javascript-adobe-captivate/

If there is anything unclear feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Igor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources