• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent default blurring of underlying video?

New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I prevent the default blurring of an underlying video whenever an overlay slide is introduced? Also, the opacity setting for the overlay slide background doesn't seem to work. I'd like to set opacity to 0% and entirely remove the overlay background. And also set the clickable buttons/shapes to 0% opacity so that the user just interacts directly with unblurred video content. Thanks.

Richard

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the master slide for overlay content slides? Maybe have a look at this blog post:

4 Tips for Interactive Video - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a SIMPLE question and has NOTHING to do with the master slide, etc. Adobe Captive BY DEFAULT blurs the underlying video as soon as the overlay slide appears; Adobe apparently believes every user on the planet wants this feature, and no one could possibly want the video to remain unblurred. Really? That's an inane assumption. I want the video to remain unblurred. I want to user to be able to refer to the uncovered portion of the video and re-study text, diagrams, etc. SO . . . can anyone comment on a setting(?) that will allow the video to remain unblurred? Thnx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but will not try to help you if you start shouting.

The answer was in that blog, but you may no have understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No shouting her, Lilybiri, but I kind of want to. I've read every word of your blog several times, and though you certainly show how to put semi-transparent objets on a master slide, the issue at hand is, whenever Captivate shows an OVERLAY slide on an interactive video, it blurs the background so that you can't clearly see the underlying video while the overly is shown. This is a deal breaker - and will probably cause me to have to completely rebuild my project i Storyline. I've even tried to create a master slide with a transparent .png as the background, but Captivate still blurrs behind the overlay slide. I would be SO happy if you have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also read every word of that blog post and don't see the answer to this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is there anyone out there who knows the answer to this? 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

Upload your videos to Vimeo (Plus account) or better.

Embed each video in separate HTML docs where you use player.js (player.on) to control them.

Save the HTML's as ZIP files and insert them in Captivate as HTML5 Animations on the relevant slides.

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, Jacob, are you sure this is addressing the problem for an interactive video? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think as of now, the only option in captivate would be to take a screenshot of that particular frame from the video and use it in the overlay slide as the background. 

Actually they should add the feature of having control on the background for overlay slides.

Thanks,

Sabareesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have control over the background of overlay slides, I explained that in the forementioned blog.  I always created dedicated master slides for different types of overlay slides. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround. For anyone else wanting to disable the video blurring you need to find the CPM.js file that is exported and find these two lines:

f.style.filter="blur(5px)"

e.style.filter="blur(5px)"

Simply change the 5 to a zero and viola, no more blurring. Not sure what the difference between those two is so I just changed both. Haven't tested it exhaustively and not sure if it affects other blurring effects, but it's working for me so far as I don't have any other blurring going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

That is a good hack. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Love when people find easy and great solutions for what should just be an option in Captivate.
I wonder. Is it possible to change this in the "masterfiles" of captivate. Like when you get rid of the play button in the beginning ov every project.

Again thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone an answer to this as yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to have a solution for disabling the blurring of video behind an overlay slide. Even a hack would be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think as of now, the only option in captivate would be to take a screenshot of that particular frame from the video and use it in the overlay slide as the background. 

Actually they should add the feature of having control on the background for overlay slides.

Thanks,

Sabareesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way I have it setup, but it still blurs the screen for a second when an overlay slide (Screenshot) comes up. I think the only option to avoid the blur is to chop the video up into pieces and move those overlays completely to new slides instead of overlays, but that complicates the project quite a bit as I'd be chopping a single video up into multiple pieces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working fine. I guess there is a time difference in your file. when we use the exact frame as background in overlay slide, it doesn't show an blurry background. Please give it a try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slight blur that happens before an overlay shows up isn't great, but it's forgiveable. Now were having a very significant issue where after the quiz (overlay) completes and we go back to playing the video, it's blurry and stays blurry for the remainder of the training! It doesn't happen all of the time, but has happened several times now. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a weird issue. Can you tell which version you are using? You find the full version number under Help, About Captivate. The OS as well, please. I never had that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 2019 release. 11.5.4.613 I'm using macOS to create the training. The error is happening on windows machines in a Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. 

The training does very limited controls. The user only can really engage with the knowledge checks and that's it. I'm advancing from overlay slides back to the video either using "Continue" or occassionally "Jump to Bookmark". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Are you facing this issue while running the file online or even locally? Is it something to do with delay in loading the file due to internet speed or file size? Check the overlay file that you are using whether it is optimized to low file size. Since I have not faced thta issue, I am unable to check for a solution. please check whether it is always happening for same file or randomly it gets blurred. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're running the file online. Haven't experienced the issue when running locally, though we haven't run through it locally many times. The overall file is very large (lot of video) and the overlay slides are video still frames for quizzes. Is there a way to disable the blurring of the underlying video that happens when transitioning into an overlay slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

though it sounds like an issue due to loading, will check and get back to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources