• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS Not Recording Multiple Attempts for Quiz

Explorer ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 9, and publishing to Cornerstone LMS.

I have created a course with a quiz that allows multiple attempts. Publishing using SCORM 2004 to adhere to Cornerstone requirements.

During testing, I had one user fail the quiz, and then retake it and pass. However, the LMS only recorded a single attempt -- the second one.

I am wondering if this might be due to a Captivate setting -- I do not have it sending data after every slide. Does anyone know if that would make the difference?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that wouldn't make any difference. Can you check the setup in the LMS? Does it allow to record all the attempts? I don't know Cornerstone, but in other LMS's this has to be done in the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anywhere in Cornerstone to turn a setting on or off to record multiple attempts. There is a field on the SCORM reporting to capture attempts, so I know it is possible.

How does Captivate define an "attempt?"  If a user fails the quiz, and then clicks the "Retry" button on the quiz reporting page, is that considered a second attempt, or still the first?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to remember that the Captivate content and the LMS are looking at things rather differently when it comes to "attempts".

The LMS is recording how many attempts the user made on the entire course, and it's usually counting the number of times they LAUNCH it. 

By contrast, the Captivate content is counting how many attempts the user makes trying to pass the Quiz or complete a given module WITHIN A SINGLE LAUNCHED SESSION of that module. When the user relaunches the module the only way the content will know there has been any previous launch is if bookmarking is turned on so that it knows where the learner got up to.

So when your user is inside a Captivate module session, fails the quiz and his the Retake Quiz button, they register another attempt on the quiz.  Let's say they succeed in passing the quiz on their third attempt and then exit the module.  If all of that happened in the same user session then as far as the LMS is concerned, that was just ONE attempt on the entire module, and the LMS will be unaware it took the user three attempts to pass the quiz WITHIN the module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I thought that "Attempts" would be a data point that Scorm passes to the LMS along with score and everything. T'would seem logical to me. Disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I'm having the issue you described in your response:

"So when your user is inside a Captivate module session, fails the quiz and his the Retake Quiz button, they register another attempt on the quiz.  Let's say they succeed in passing the quiz on their third attempt and then exit the module.  If all of that happened in the same user session then as far as the LMS is concerned, that was just ONE attempt on the entire module, and the LMS will be unaware it took the user three attempts to pass the quiz WITHIN the module."

The LMS is counting only 1 attempt of 3 when the user takes the quiz 3 times during the same launched session. It will continue to say 2 attempts remaining until the user re-enters the course, then it will update in the LMS. Is there a way to get around that?

Thank you!

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many attempts have you set as allowed by the LMS (not the Captivate module)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

The same, 3. Should this be 1 instead? As in 1 attempt to pass the course?

Thank you,

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Set the LMS to 1.  

The LMS is only really looking at the number of times the course module is launched and attempted.  If you have the number of allowed attempts set to 1 at the LMS level, but at 3 attempts INSIDE the course module quiz, then the learners will still be able to attempt the quiz up to 3 times once they have launched it from the LMS.  However, if they use up all of those attempts without successfully passing the quiz, then the LMS will not allow them to relaunch the course module again, because they have used up the ONE attempt allowed at the LMS level.

Is that the behaviour you want?

(NOTE: If LMS bookmarking is turned on, the learner should still be able to leave and suspend their session partway through completing those 3 attempts on the quiz.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

After I saw your reply early this morning, it caused me to think that maybe the LMS needed to set it to 1. I did, and it worked! Thank you so much.

By the way, I learn so much just by reading your posts, and even when there are no fixes to certain issues in Captivate, your workarounds are awesome. I went to your site, and saw your troubleshooting book, will you be doing one for 2017 soon? 

Thank you,

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rod,

Have you seen this behavior? In my Captivate 8 assessment, Completion is being sent as soon as the user clicks the Retake button prior to the third/final attempt. So if they exit during the final attempt, they cannot re-enter and finish the quiz since the LMS has completed it's one attempt and sent it to transcript.

Thank you,

Amanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't seen that specific issue.  But each LMS is different.

What are your Quiz > Reporting settings?  Can you show screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking a look at my issue. Here is an example running in SCORM Cloud and screen shots of the Reporting and Pass and Fail settings. I am less concerned about whether the user can relaunch after the assessment is marked as complete, as that is an LMS setting, and more concerned with the fact that completion is sent too early.

https://cloud.scorm.com/sc/InvitationConfirmEmail?publicInvitationId=61556a41-d4be-4371-9da1-18ed501...2017-11-03_14-47-09.png2017-11-03_14-48-07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I would suggest you change the Success / Completion Criteria setting in the drop-down menu from Quiz is Passed or Quiz Attempt Limit is Reached to the one before it, Quiz is Passed.

My reason for suggesting this is that Captivate advances and increments the System Variable which tracks the quiz attempts (the variable is called cpQuizInfoAttempts) right at the BEGINNING of the attempt, not at the END of the attempt. You can see this for yourself if you insert that system variable into a Smart Shape placed on the first slide and set it to be timed for Rest of Project.

So, what might be happening here is that as soon as your LMS sees the fact that the quiz attempt variable is showing the final attempt it is then marking the module as completed, even though YOU would prefer to allow the learner to reach the end of the quiz instead.

Try my suggestion and see if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, we are having the same issues with our modules with Cornerstone. I definitely see that if they click the Retake Quiz button within the module and do it 100 times (showing those attempts within the module on the Results page) that it will only show 1 attempt in the LMS.

However, it also shows it if they close the module on the Results page after failing and then relaunch it. (It goes back to the Results page because of bookmarking. So the learner will click Retake Quiz again.) We don't want to prevent learners from attempting the quiz 100 times but we do wish to track it. We're using Scorm 2004. I've uploaded my settings. Obviously, you can't say what settings to choose in the LMS, but if you have any ideas for "conceptually" how to make the LMS record the number of attempts, that would be great.

My current thought is that for for Scorm 2004, there are two statuses: Completion and Success. For Completion Status, we don't always make our learners go to every slide, so slide view is out as a criterion. It doesn't really seem to allow you to do Completion + Pass = Certificate and record those separately. If you select Completion = attempting the quiz, it will still give you a certificate that you've completed the module, even if you failed the quiz. So, we chose Quiz is passed as a completion criteria as well as for success criteria. So, I'm wondering if the LMS thinks it's still the first attempt, no matter if the go out and back in because the module is still "In progress" and, therefore, it is still the first attempt. 

Like Lucy, I really appreciate your willingness to provide help outside of Captivate. I don't actually see where to change the attempt limits in Cornerstone, not does their help file address it but I will keep looking. 
 scorm2004 settings-sm.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the LMS to record each and every attempt the learner makes on the quiz then you have to set the number of allowed attempts inside Captivate to 1 and force the learner to close and relaunch the module each and every time from the LMS.  You may not be able to set Infinite Attempts in the LMS but you should at least be able to set a number large enough that no learner is likely to exceed it (e.g. 99).  If every attempt on the quiz requires a relaunch of the module from the LMS then the LMS should be recording the module launches and telling you whether or not the learner passed the quiz on that attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your quick response and your reply. I will give this a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for you Repply. I'm having the same issue on the LMS, but the first time the Quiz is taken, the LMS is saving the score. Finally when all the attempts are taken, the LMS scores cero. Do you know any setting on the Quiz preference that only refresh the score on the LMS on the Last attempt or success attempt?

Best Regards,

JuanCB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juan,

This is usually something you would need to set up at the LMS end.  For example, I believe Moodle LMS gives you the option to configure how the LMS will record the user score in a number of different ways.  You can choose whether the score should be taken from the Last Attempt, Highest Score, or Average Score overa all attempts.

Take a look at the screen shown on point 5 from this page:

https://teaching.unsw.edu.au/moodle-quiz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically, the SCORM package just feeds the score to the LMS.  It's up to the LMS to decide what to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue with Captivate 9 content in Saba Cloud.  Captivate 8, Captivate 7, Lectora, and Articulate Storyline 2 all work correctly with the same LMS settings;  they show all Launch attempts with correct score and status for each.  We have attempted to publish in SCROM 2004 and 1.2 in Captivate 9 but it produces the same issue. 

Captivate experts - Are you able to provide a matrix that shows the Publishing differences between Captivate 8 and Captivate 9?  Some options have been changed between the versions so if there are differences in the SCORM settings that would help us understand the issue.

Thank you,

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a CSOD thing. Even though you can enable the ability to allow multiple attempts in Captivate, CSOD will only retain a single attempt. If the user starts a new attempt the data from previous attempt is purged and CSOD doesn't keep track of number of attempts either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe i have the same issue.  I created a quiz in Stroyline, allowing learner 2 attempts to pass the quiz.  I publish the quiz and upload to Captivateprime adobe.. if the learner does not pass, closes the window and goes back in, they can attempt to take it again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question is about Cativate, not StoryLine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my questions wasn't with Storyline... It works fine in storyline when i preview.  

The question is why it doesn't work when i publish the course in Captivate Prime.  It allows the user to exit out and login back to retake the quiz again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources