• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quiz results not reporting back to LMS (for some users)

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I’m using Captivate 2017 and created a simple non-responsive project with drag and drop interactions, and a quiz (settings shown below).

I’ve set up the quiz with 3 attempts, and the LMS (Bridge) with 1. I’ve tested the course by passing on the first try, and also failing all 3 times. It works perfectly fine for me.

Some users have already taken the course and passed the quiz, and the LMS has recorded everything as it should.

However, we have some users who have reported completing the course and passing the quiz, but the course remains incomplete. In other words, on my end, it shows that they started the course, but have not taken the quiz, therefore it’s still incomplete. I’ve asked them to clear their history, use a different browser, and nothing has helped. In most cases, they can take the quiz more than the allowed 3 times, and it still does not report the activity back to the LMS.

I’ve reached out to Bridge and they have tested the course and said that it worked for them, the results were reported back and the course shows completed. They said that users might be launching the course multiple times in a short timespan or that they’re opening multiple windows of the site.

Any ideas of what could be going wrong? 

One of the users reported getting this error:

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Change to SCORM 1.2 and try again.

Is there any reason why you specifically chose SCORM 2004 4th edition?  The only reason you would normally NEED to use SCORM 2004 would be if you were intending to use some special sequencing of the content or your reporting needed to separate out completion from pass/fail.  And even if you DID need to use SCORM 2004 you would normally only use version 3, not 4.

The exit button often doesn't work on a course launched from an LMS because it the content is typicall

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took the quiz using an older laptop, passed the quiz, went to the next slide (which is the last one for the course) and clicked the button with the action to exit but the button did not work. I clicked a few times and nothing happened, so I closed the browser. I checked the LMS results page and it still showing incomplete, the results did not report back.

Any idea how to get around this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change to SCORM 1.2 and try again.

Is there any reason why you specifically chose SCORM 2004 4th edition?  The only reason you would normally NEED to use SCORM 2004 would be if you were intending to use some special sequencing of the content or your reporting needed to separate out completion from pass/fail.  And even if you DID need to use SCORM 2004 you would normally only use version 3, not 4.

The exit button often doesn't work on a course launched from an LMS because it the content is typically being launched in a hidden frameset and this can block the functionality of the Exit action.  The results should be sent to the LMS as soon as you get past the end of the Quiz Result slide.

Your error message with the LMS API not being found for some users would be significant.  That would mean that right from the beginning of the user session there was no communication with the LMS.  I would be looking deeper into why some users are not able to connect to the SCORM API.  Perhaps there is some security setting on their browsers blocking the use of JavaScript.  Or perhaps you have included links to external files in your content and those users accessing those files are getting communication with the LMS blocked at that point because linking out to files on another domain gets interpreted as Cross-Site-Scripting behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thank you so much for your reply. I was on vacation for a few weeks, and just now returning to this.

It appears that the issue has to do with Flash and the different browsers everyone is using.

I'm being advised to publish to HTML5 only, and while everything seems to work, the drag and drop interactions do not. If I keep the D&D, all I get is the spinning wheel when trying to preview using SCORM Cloud. If I remove the D&D, everything else launches and works fine.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were these drag and drop interactions created using Captivate's native drag and drop functionality, or were they created using SWF drag and drop widgets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

It seems to be working now! I got your troubleshooting ebook and started making a few changes/corrections, like all lower case on the file name, the settings for the quiz, and the description IDs on the D&D, and one of those things or all of them made it work! Glad to be done with that course, finally!

Thank you so much for all your help!

Lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's all working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @rodward, I ended up on this thread because we are having a similar issue. We use a third party vendor who has built our SCORM 1.2 package using captivate with some basic requirements we had like, user cannot progress untill the voice-over on the slide has completed, and we have a quiz with a 1 minute timer per question. By right, the content + questions take 55mins to complete

Our LMS sometimes shows users completed the scorm content in as little as 13mins, though this only happens to a subset of users. Not everyone faces this. And sometimes the learners have completed, but the LMS backend still shows as in-progress. We usually help relaunch and close, and that seems to pass the score and completion to the LMS. I was wondering if I could get a link to the troubleshooting ebook or guide. Or any suggestions from you? We've done a one-off test in SCORMCloud and it works fine over there. 

Best,

Jugal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources