• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SCORM package fails with message that Flash is no longer supported

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I published a software simulation to computer for SCORM.  In Blackboard, the published simulation fails and displays a web page, "...flashplayer/end-of-life.html"  I opened the zip file and deleted the .swf file and also edited the manifest.xml to remove all reference to .swf and/or Flash. Re-zipped the file and uploaded again.  This did NOT solve the problem.  In short, I cannot get the published content to work in Blackboard, although it does work flawlessly in SCORM cloud preview.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

I asked about this because even with dual publishing you would have seen the HTML output in this situation. The problem may have to be found elsewhere.

It is not because you have SWFs in the folder that they play as SWF. Some learning interactions are originally SWF but they are compatible (probably using a wrapper).

In your original question you mentioned that it plays 'flawlessly' in SCORM Cloud. That pushes me to think that the problem is within the LMS. Death of Flash player for desktop brow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Republish the same project but this time specify only HTML5 output for SCORM, making sure that there are no SWF components of any kind in the project.  Then reupload to Blackboard.  That should solve the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how to answer your question about "...only HTML5..."  I thought that I was using only HTML output, but it is obvious that I am getting .swf files, also.  I will try what you suggest, however.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this project created only recently and then ONLY published to HTML5?  Or was it created some time ago and perhaps published at one time in SWF, or dual-published to SWF and HTML5?

If the project was previously SWF, then it may still contain some SWF components and Blackboard may be detecting those components and objecting to them.

You should test whether Blackboard is picking up 'false positives' by first publishing a new blank project (containing nothing from your current project) and see whether that can be successfully uploaded and played on Blackboard's iOS app.  If even a new blank project published to HTML5 does not work, then the issue is with the LMS.

However, if that test is successful, then you need to go through your current project very carefully, slide by slide, looking for any components that might be SWF-related.  Your Project Library should also show these SWF objects and tell you on which slides they occur.  Do you currently see any SWF objects listed under Animations in the CPTX file's Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you still have dual publishing as Rod suggested?  

You can check this by trying to access the course using a mobile device (tablet or phone).  You tell that it fails only in Blackboard, but not which device was used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attempted to open the simulation on Blackboard, through the Blackboard App for IOS.  I am using an I-phone 6s and I downloaded the app through the Apple App store.  I get the same results.

Thank you for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked about this because even with dual publishing you would have seen the HTML output in this situation. The problem may have to be found elsewhere.

It is not because you have SWFs in the folder that they play as SWF. Some learning interactions are originally SWF but they are compatible (probably using a wrapper).

In your original question you mentioned that it plays 'flawlessly' in SCORM Cloud. That pushes me to think that the problem is within the LMS. Death of Flash player for desktop browser is general, should also lead to problems with SCORM Cloud if you have really still SWF output. 

From memory now: I have seen users with problems concerning software simulations including Full Motion Recording slides (FMR). Those slides are SWF-based originally but should need to convert to mp4 on publishing. Can you retry to publish? 

I avoid this problem by avoiding FMR slide but replacing them during the capture by a Video Demo capture slide. It is more time consuming but I am sure that the motion slides are directly published to MP4 without need for conversion as is the case for FMR slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you each for your comments.  I have been able to record, edit, and publish to Blackboard. I accomplished this by uninstalling Captivate; restarting my system and then reinstalling.  I then created a new project with a single content slide and a single quiz slide. It previewed and displayed in the SCORM cloud.  I then uploaded the .zip to Blackboard and it worked!  So, I went back to my Captivate project, added one slide at a time, then checked the project in SCORM cloud and published and uploaded to Blackboard. I am not sure why this worked, but the published files do not contain any .swf files, unlike my earlier unsuccessful attempts. Other than the lack of flash files, the zip files are identical in folder and file contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources