Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with Text Entry Box in Simulations

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am trying to create a simulation that includes having the learning enter text in a text box.  The problem is, Captivate requires the learner to hit "Enter" to complete the action and move to the next slide.  In this software the user actually should NOT hit enter after entering text.  How do I get it to go to the next slide simply by having the learner enter only text.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing you need to understand about having an action performed in Captivate (e.g. the Jump to Next Slide action) is that every action must be triggered by an Event.  We call them 'run-time events' because they occur at the time the project is running in the browser, not when editing in Captivate.

In the case of the interactive object you are referring to here (a Text Entry Box or TEB for short) there are only certain events available to use to trigger the action you want (i.e. going to the next slide).   Just entering text alone does not constitute a valid runtime event that you can use to trigger an action.  But there are three others you can use.

• You can trigger the action from the Success event of the TEB, but as you have seen, that involves clicking the TEB's Submit button.
  • You can remove the button (by deselecting the option to Show Button) but then that means you can only trigger the Success action by hitting a keystroke, the default one being the ENTER key.  So if the app that you are imitating with this simulation uses a similar trigger, you would be good to go.
  • However, if neither of these events do what you want, there is one more for TEBs only, the On Focus Lost event.  It gets triggered when the user moves their mouse cursor away from the TEB field and clicks somewhere else.  So, that can be used to trigger the jump to next slide action.  

If you want to understand more about run-time events, take a look at this link:

https://infosemantics.com.au/understanding-adobe-captivate-run-time-events/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should also mention that with a TEB there is another option you might be able to use but it requires that you turn on Validation for the TEB, enter one or more correct answers that can be validated against, and then turn on More Options, specify the maximum number of characters, which then activates another option to Auto Submit the TEB.

TEB_AutoSubmit.png

I make no guarantees that this will be exactly what you need, but at least it gets you closer to your goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources