Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video not playing once published

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have an event video on a slide in my project that will not play once published to swf. The rest of the project works fine, but the slide with the video just displays a blank slide. I've tried both mp4 and flv files for the video.

I'm using Captivate 9 and a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you test? Are you launching the SWF from the companion HTM file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine in preview. Yes, what I've been doing is uploading the swf file onto a wiki (Confluence). I've done this with another project before and it worked perfectly fine (that one didn't have a video though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, sometimes the SWF will work, but in most cases you need the added functionality from the CSS and the JS which are only called when you launch the HTM file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I  would upload all of the files to the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and launch the HTM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the wiki won't let me upload all of the individual files (it says "unsupported")...maybe it's just a problem with the wiki itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I have the same issue. I tried to launch the HTM file but nothing happens. I ususally run the SWF file on our website and the project runs, except for the embedded MP4 video. There are no spaces in the video file name.

Are there files that need to be updated for this issue to be resolved?

Thanks,

Steph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you publishing to SWF (thread is about SWF).

If you are testing locally, is the location of the published file added as a Flash trusted site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my original issue is with the swf and read a suggestion to run HTM.

I have tried using FLV, MP4 and F4V formats. MP4 just doesn't appear when I publish to SWF. The other two formats show the outline of the video but nothing on the screen.

I am creating learning with these videos running an app on an iPhone. There really is no other option for me.

Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well, the files are all in the same folder.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing what you suggested as a solution for the problem that was originally reported. I don't see the video.

I'm using Captivate 9 on Windows 10, and publishing to swf. My project was originally created in Captivate 8. I imported a .mov file, as an event, which was converted on import to .flv. I can see the video when I preview. When I publish and launch the html file, I see the skin that I selected and a diagonally striped horizontal bar in the upper left of the area where the video should appear. There is no video. The video didn't have audio to begin with so there's no sound either. Until I get the video to work, I'm just testing the project by running it from my laptop.

A week or so ago, I contacted support using chat. The person I spoke to suggested installing a more recent version of Captivate 9. That hasn't helped. I still have a problem with the video. It seems I'm not the only one.

This is the only issue I need to solve to complete the course that uses the video.  Do you have any suggestions.

Grace Daminato

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're trying to view these files from your local computer drive, upload your published content files, including the video file, to a web server and then view the HTML in a browser from that web server location..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, this didn't work for me either.  I still experience the same issue as Grace's.

I'm still searching for a solution but thanks for your suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace, did you find a solution to this issue?

Thanks.

Narciso

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company has intranet sites where videos can be posted, and they can both handle swf files.  When I tried to post Captivate interactive training (swf) files which had some embedded mp4 video content, the mp4 slides just played as blank white screens.  (But note, the audio from the mp4s played. (Hmmm…a clue.)

I dug around in a published zip file and noticed that the Captivate publishing process seemed to keep the mp4 files as separate from the swf file. Since our intranet sites accept only ONE file (think YouTube), not zips or folders, I did an experiment.  I used an online conversion tool to convert the mp4s to swf files.  I then imported those swfs to the appropriate slides in Captivate, then published. When I uploaded the published swf file to the intranet sites, it worked.  The videos played, and interactivity was retained.

Adobe Media Encoder used to have the ability to convert mp4s to swfs, but the current version doesn’t allow that.  I had to use an online site called Convertio.  But I’m always concerned about security.

Anyone know of other ways to convert mp4s to swfs?

P.S.  We also have a full-fledged LMS which can handle mp4s embedded in Captivate projects without these workarounds, for situations where we need to track and score the training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please start a new thread?

I am very puzzled by your question for several reasons. EOL of Flash Player is announced, which means that SWF output will not be possible to play anymore in web browsers. That is already the case now for mobile web browsers, and desktop webbrowsers not always install the Flash Player plugin anymore by default but it needs manual intervention to do so. That explains fully the reason why you'll not find a conversion to SWF anymore in AME.  Slow death of SWF output for deployment on web has started quite a while ago, puzzled that you seem not to be aware of it.

SWF output allows interactivity and tracking, same with HTML output which now has to replace all SWF output within a rather short time range. However MP4 is a passive video format, there is no way to track anything what happens in a video format, you can only track maybe if the video has been viewed or not. There is no way to have a quiz or scores in a mp4 video.

Maybe a problem with terminology?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a very similar problem, but with YouTube interactions. When previewing as SWF, the video will not play. But previewing as HTML5, the video plays perfectly.

Understanding Cap will not be supporting Flash forever, is it best to transition to HTML5 exports exclusively?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

" is it best to transition to HTML5 exports exclusively?"

*absolutely*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources