Highlighted

Special characters removed from published file names of SCORM

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard of an LMS not accepting special characters anywhere in the file names of SCORM 1.2 ZIPs?

E.g.:

• All special characters (! @ # $ % ^ & * , - ? / ; : \ | ( ) space) removed from published file names (LMS)

I got this request, and I believe it's for Saba LMS. I did find some mobile gesture images that had "@" in them. This was using Captivate 2017. I did my best to try and hunt down where any files that contained special characters were located and referenced once published. This was my process below that I documented so I could repeat it. I'll find out soon enough if it worked!

Removal of special characters in SCORM 1.2 output from Captivate 2017

1. UNZIP SCORM ZIP File

2. Rename two files under assets\htmlimages:

expand_icon@2x.png to expand_iconAT2x.png

gesturemobileicon@2x.png to gesturemobileiconAT2x.png

3. Open two files: imsmanifest.xml and assets\js\CPM.js

4. Find and replace in two files for “@2x” with “AT2x”

5. Save and Close two files

6. RE-ZIP SCORM file

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Special characters removed from published file names of SCORM

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard of an LMS not accepting special characters anywhere in the file names of SCORM 1.2 ZIPs?

E.g.:

• All special characters (! @ # $ % ^ & * , - ? / ; : \ | ( ) space) removed from published file names (LMS)

I got this request, and I believe it's for Saba LMS. I did find some mobile gesture images that had "@" in them. This was using Captivate 2017. I did my best to try and hunt down where any files that contained special characters were located and referenced once published. This was my process below that I documented so I could repeat it. I'll find out soon enough if it worked!

Removal of special characters in SCORM 1.2 output from Captivate 2017

1. UNZIP SCORM ZIP File

2. Rename two files under assets\htmlimages:

expand_icon@2x.png to expand_iconAT2x.png

gesturemobileicon@2x.png to gesturemobileiconAT2x.png

3. Open two files: imsmanifest.xml and assets\js\CPM.js

4. Find and replace in two files for “@2x” with “AT2x”

5. Save and Close two files

6. RE-ZIP SCORM file

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is a well known fact that you must not use special characters in any file names (and usually in any object or slide names) within a project.  Also make sure you don't use special characters in any of the Project Information fields.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I had heard that. I'm just surprised that Captivate would generate files with special characters. I've never had a problem with them though, it was a client request. Maybe they are just being extra cautious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To save time, you can just open the imsmanifest.xml and remove the lines that contain the special characters.

Generally an @ character should be OK in xml, the characters that need escaping are:

" "
' '
< &lt;
> &gt;
& &

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group