Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My body rotates even though I pinned the feet to the ground

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video briefly explaining my issue: Character Animator Issue - YouTube

I tried LIVE chat and I attached my illustrator file and character animator file (the same as attached here) and the support worker said it was because I have no neck on my character but I don't understand why this is an issue. He also directed me to a very basic tutorial that also didn't help me understand the issue. I looked at other peoples' issues and I cannot quite find the solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FoxMan v2.0.ai - Google Drive

FoxMan - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t have access to my computer to check the puppet until later, but you have independent legs then put pins on the legs - that will pin the legs relative to the body (not stop the character from moving). If you need the legs to be independent, try putting the pin on the body.

If you really want the pin to be near the feet (which would make complete sense) but must have the legs independent, you can do things like put a hidden layer rectangle to join the body down to near the feet and pin that. Imagine a puppet on a stand - the stand is clear plastic and fixed to the ground, allowing the puppet arms and legs complete movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already put a pin in each leg, which are part of the body. Nothing, I move my head and the puppet's full body rotates from its head as an axis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack, I'm starting with Character Animator and I've been having the exact same problem for two days already, I can't get past it. Did you ever resolve the issue? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is helpful to get a screenshot of the rigging hierarchy of the puppet showing the head, body, etc layers, where the crowns are. Then click on the layer you put the pins on so the yellow outline is visible and screenshot That.

The normal reason is the pins are not on the direct child of the puppet root, so the pins are attaching the feet to a parent layer, not the ground. This is just a guess however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply, I’ll check what you said, trying to see the h of the different parts and making sure the pins are on a direct child of the root. I’ll upload screenshots if I fail. Thank you again. Big cheers to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a couple of tests making sure the pins are on the Body, which is the direct child of the puppet's root. I still get the same problem. I even tried making the Head independent. Nothing, the issue persists. I'm attaching 3 screenshots showing Head, Body and a photo of the issue. Thank you very much for looking into my problem.

Head Selected.png

Body Selected.png

Quick sample of the problem.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the second image, see the number 1 on the side view layer? What is that? Note - hidden layers still affect the puppet. You have to delete them to have no effect. (Save artwork file first!) Also note they are not under Uncle.

If you want profiles, I would insert them under Uncle early on. Adding a Front Profile layer under Uncle later will lose all the rigging. So if you are not sure, insert the Front profile layer just in case To save later rework of tagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan, thank you for that, I’ll start again with a puppet version without any hidden layers. If that succeeds, I’ll try to learn how to add the side views, copying the layer structure and naming found in available PSD example puppets. I’ll let you know how I go.

Big cheers and many thanks     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Allan, you rock! What you told me worked perfectly! Now my puppet is pinned to the groun, I’ll keep going and get this puppet to look sideways and walk, etc. I’ll definitely show you the result once I advance with this, thank you very very much, brother. How to tag the original question as “Resolved”?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm. I can share experiences with CH, but not sure about the forums!!! I assume there is a button somewhere on the original message or the responses. I think you as creator of the thread can select an answer as the answer and close it...

I look forward to seeing the result! 😉

PS: The emails I get notifying me of new messages seem to have a resolve link in them too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume you mean pins on the body. If you can include a screen shot of the rigging hierarchy that would help a lot! It’s normally pins being put on the wrong layer. So click on the layer with the pins in too please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines