• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no longer the correct answer. The link is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked David if he, or anyone, could update his answer from 514 posts before your one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I understand your concerns as a company that the cost, effort, etc., may not be worth it when "the whole world runs on Windows and Mac", I get it (somewhat).  But as you know, things are changing, the number one operating system in the world right now is [drum roll] Android, which runs on the Linux kernel, and you already make mobile versions of Creative Cloud software on Android anyway, so (I'm not a developer, but just guessing) how hard can it be to port to a desktop operating system that uses the same Linux kernel?

You might argue lack of market share/user share, but is Mac user share overall that much better?  Yet you make Mac versions of CC.  And how do you actually know the true desktop Linux market/user share anyway, since desktop Linux OS'es are free and therefore you can't track sales?

Besides all this, there is this CRUCIAL concern overall in the current state of desktop operating systems.  Both the Microsoft and Apple duopoly control of the desktop MUST. BE. ENDED.  On the one hand, you have Microsoft, which has screwed up their OS for years, and most recently has made Windows totally unstable, DELETING FILES and causing all kinds of havoc which has been well reported in the news.  On the other hand, you have Apple who, if you're a Windows user and want to switch so your files aren't deleted, makes you replace your entire perfectly good hardware that you worked hard to invest in, then locks that overpriced hardware down so you can't upgrade or replace hardware when it fails - the latest example of this is their T2 chip.

If Linux has such a small user base and porting to it isn't considered important enough for Adobe, why have post after post for MANY years on this site continued to this day and to this minute, and why have major companies like Blackmagic Design committed to offering Windows, Mac, AND Linux versions of DaVinci Resolve, an ADVANCED post-production suite comprising of an editor, industry-standard color corrector, effects tool, and audio tool?  Why do major companies like AJA, who make I/O hardware for post-production systems, offer Linux drivers?  Does the competition know something you don't or won't accept?  I read all the time about more and more people switching from Windows to Linux because of all the garbage Windows has been putting people through in their workflows, and with limited resources, they don't necessarily want to start all over again buying into Mac hardware.  If Adobe would port their software to Linux, you would see a TSUNAMI of new Linux users, maybe even new subscriptions.  It would bring desktop Linux to the mainstream, because you have very powerful creative software that people want to use without the OS getting in the way.  If/when Creative Cloud becomes entirely cloud-based, none of us will be having this conversation, but until that day comes, we need Adobe on _desktop_ Linux, preferably Ubuntu Linux since that's among the easiest "flavors" for creatives (and is definitely among the friendliest for accepting both FOSS and proprietary software).

At least Photoshop for a pilot project to see how that sells, before trying Premiere and After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently had several people urge me to try Resolve. Yes, I'm an old Fusion user from when it was an Eyeon product.

My problem with switching to DaVinci Resolve and Fusion on a Linux box isn't so much the video editing, audio editing and compositing applications as it is that I'd still need the CC subscription for the other Adobe tools that we regularly use - Photoshop, In Design, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Pro, etc. - and if these won't work with Linux then I'm still stuck with Windows or Mac.

If the new Adobe software for smartphones works with Android, then why not a full Linux port?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

filmographie  wrote

If the new Adobe software for smartphones works with Android, then why not a full Linux port?

because nobody put money into making Linux port a thing

Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows are major world players while [next to that] Linux is run by a few old guys in their basement... its nice that you have a hobby mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so you mean if I go down to Canonical or Red Hat (which is now I-B-FREAKIN-M!) headquarters, I should look for a basement.  Got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS is a Unix kernel... but the CC software does not run under Unix! Because there is a difference...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to mention all the plugin and helper software like SmartSound, Red Giant, etc. are not made for Linux either.  Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just posted this in Ubuntu's forums today (solidarity!)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12262138#post12262138

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theres something else here. There have been a few posted promises for linux support "soon" which have gon unfulfilled. There is a very large demographic you have chosen not to sell to. Worst of all, while the old versions worked with wine, CC will not until you support it. So, your not just fingers-in-ears ignoring a quickly growing demographic, your actually losing previous cusotomers. Personally lack of Adobe support for linux is the ONLY thing that has kept my desktop windows, while I have two laptops and 16 servers all running Ubuntu. It's absurd, and to be honest I am now looking for alternatives to your programs (after over 15 years of loyalty) because Im just tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Agree. They develop for Windows 8 Which it runs terribly on but not Linux which is the most stable operating system out there. Downloaded Adobe Cloud to my Windows 8 laptop and windows kept crashing. Changed back to windows 7 and had no problems. Most of us "professionals" us a real operating system like Linux. Get with the program Adobe. If you make it they will come. If it's available and you pair it with a linux based Os they will come in droves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully my comment throws some weight. I agree with the chap's thread to revolutionize the availability of Adobe's brand. I personally predict that Unbutu will become the number one boutique platform for developers and designers alike.

I say do it and I am well over 6 figures deep in this conversation !

Unbutu fan

Toriano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, before I am banned, I have purchased every upgrade to PS since 4.0 and every version of LR since 1.0. Take that to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah where is CS6 in my cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little curious myself to see if y'all have made any headway on this.  Thanks Adobe!   I love CS6 and would love to see it play nice with my favorite Linux Operating System.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, unfortunately as far as I can tell they not only have not given an definative reply, they stopped acknowledging the requests all together about 6 months ago. As you can see at the top they asked people to go to basically a petition type site, which was then flooded by "signatures". I think they assumed that would soak up the feedback like a sponge and they wouldnt have to deal with it. For the life of me I have no idea why a company would ignore such an overwhealming outcry from its customers. It honestly feels like the folks with any contact to the community dont have any pull in the matter, and they people who do are just completely disinterested. Happens often, so the powerless folks speaking to the community just insert fingers to ears so they (understandably) dont really have anything they can say constructive. At least, thats what it feels like from my POV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your curious HOW out of touch they are, heres a few things a quick google drags up:

1. in 2010 computerworld reported that canonical (Ubuntu) processesed surveys of their users and found Adobe software (PS in particular) as the SECOND most desired software for linux users! What's first? Skype, and it has since produced a linux version, leaving Adobe at the top, fingers deep in those ears.

2. in 2010 OMGubuntu had a 'lets get adobe on ubuntu' camplaign https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/produce_creative_suite_for_linux

3. In 2011 the campaign got a response from Adobe employee Carey Burgess, which amounted to a shuffle-step 'we heard you, please stop sending feedback' and that it is "definately on the radar" (one would THINK that was an affermative, one should think again)

4. According to getSatisfaction employees, the site was setup to oroginally handle issues with 100 or less followers, so the petition was closed.

5. Aug 2012 David___B from Adobe directed people in this thread to instead 'be heard' at the closed-for-over-a-year getSatisfaction.com site for this issue.

6. When they recieved massive complaints that the issue stopped tracking after 100 followers, they opened up the limits. Theres a nice post from one of their employees explaining that when they opened it up they immediately had over 10k followers, and OVER A MILLION EMAILS IN SUPPORT OF IT IN ONE DAY!!!. So they again closed the issue (Im guessing someone over there had to change their shorts).This was 7 months ago,

7. GetSatisfaction started a new thread on the same topic. Its slower growing as it is semi hidden and all links go to the locked thread, but you should consider posting there as well. Why would they do this? presumably because the first post acts as a sort of filter ("THIS THREAD IS CLOSED" (then in tiny text in a reply) click here for the other thread). Sounds sneaky, but it works. Heres the updated link:

https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/creative_suite_for_linux_thread_2

no response I can find from Adobe on the matter since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe on Linux would not only be smart business wise, but it would be smart tech wise as well.

As any linux user knows very well, Linux's strongest aspect is it's extremely low resource use, which in terms of working with high resolution graphics and video, means more of my valuable processor and ram to dedicate to my work. With the way Microsoft is continuing on their dictatorial tirade of hardware dominance with each new release of Windows, by the time we get to Windows 10 they will have found a host of new services and background processes to use up the last of our available resources... just to run the bloody operating system. That's all well and great if fancy animated toolbars, alpha blending, shadowing and "candy" are what you are looking for when browsing files on a cluttered desktop, but I don't need or want it. I bought my hardware to do real work with.

It should also be said that I, or we (Adobe fans), have always viewed Adobe as being the pinacle of PC software and as being "ahead of the curve" so to speak, so it should be taken as very serious news around the Adobe water cooler and the board room that near the end of last year, game makers Valve breached the linux barrier with gaming and that soon after, Blizzard and THQ confirmed they are on their way to linux compatibility. These are the de facto leaders in the gaming industry who represent the pinacle of gaming software. We watch them to see ahead of the curve, and ahead of the curve is linux.

Some of you may look at the number of Linux users and think you're going to be dealing with a small minority, and while that may hold true today, but it's not because the OS is bad, it's because software giants like Adobe and our favorite game developers are helping to hold up the monopoly of Windows, which is a bad OS for any serious professional. The crazy thing is, Adobe holds the key to changing the entire face of computing, because a fully compatible Creative Suite on Linux would cause a massive and unmistakable exodus of users away from Windows. I'd even be willing to take a high stakes bet on that.

So, c'mon Adobe, stay ahead of the curve. Let us combine the power of your software with the full power of our hardware under an OS that makes that dream a reality.

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add myself to the growing list of Adobe subscribers who would prefer to use Linux OS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Linux is the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is oxymoron to ask for CC for Linux because by definition, and by concept, most things are free in Linux and Adobe is not in that sort of business.

It is non-starter here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're not asking for "no-cost Creative Cloud on Linux". They (and I) want to pay the same subscription rates as everyone else, just use it on a free (as in both beer and, the progressively more important, speech) operating system.

Claiming that Linux users do not want to pay for Adobe software requires some pretty big horse-blinders, because you're in the middle of a discussion full of people who want to pay for Adobe software on Linux.

It really makes as much sense as saying, "there will never be open-source software on Windows because by definition, and by concept, it is proprietary". It really does not make any sense and yet so many people honestly, genuinely, think that. It really does boggle me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phopojijo wrote:

They're not asking for "no-cost Creative Cloud on Linux". They (and I) want to pay the same subscription rates as everyone else, just use it on a free (as in both beer and, the progressively more important, speech) operating system.

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Phopojijo wrote:

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

1. Adobe makes software for hobbyists and academics, as well as businesses.
  2. Microsoft and Apple are, both, very different companies relative to Adobe.
  3. Businesses could want to move to Linux if they are upset with Apple (Final Cut/Mac Pro debacle) and Microsoft (Windows 8), provided that their workflow does not need to change too much... especially if they have more confidence that Linux will not pull a sharp-turn that Microsoft and Apple are capable of and have recently demonstrated they, both, may do at any point.

Horse blinders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe makes software for hobbyists and academics, as well as businesses.

Not for hobbyists.

Microsoft and Apple are, both, very different companies relative to Adobe.

In what way?  They are all in the business of making money. They are not making software for the sake of pleasure and enjoyment of their employees and users.  They want to make money.  If CC is not successful, I bet the desktop versions will be back on the agenda for Adobe and Microsoft (for their cloud products).

Businesses could want to move to Linux if they are upset with Apple (Final Cut/Mac Pro debacle) and Microsoft (Windows 8), provided that their workflow does not need to change too much... especially if they have more confidence that Linux will not pull a sharp-turn that Microsoft and Apple are capable of and have recently demonstrated they, both, may do at any point.

People have been saying this for decades but nothing has changed.  Windows' market share keeps going up and up.  There is nothing wrong with Windows 8;  The people are lazy to learn new ways of doing things.  If windows was designed like Windows 8 way back in 1980s then people won't be reluctant to adopt it as their main OS.  In any case they said the same thing about Windows XP, and Windows 7 but these two OSs have been the most popular ever.

Anyway I have finished saying what I wanted to say and I'll leave this with you to continue with this thread because I am sure there are many people here who are Linux fanatics like you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines