• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an idea. Adobe makes their own OS based on Linux and that solves the Interface problem. Adobe could make their Linux custom taylored for their software. It would be the ultimate design workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Adobe has not interest in Linux at all anymore since the just dropped support for Acrobat Reader for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xeon64 wrote:

Apparently Adobe has not interest in Linux at all anymore since the just dropped support for Acrobat Reader for Linux.

To be fair I don't know any Linux users who actually use Acrobat Reader. Linux has lots of PDF readers that work as well or better than the Linux version of Reader, and most popular DEs have one of them baked in. Flash Player is probably a better product to look at if you want to gauge Adobe's interest in Linux. It actually gets a reasonable amount of use on the Linux desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really surprising that Flash Player would be supported on all platforms as it is used by companies like Fox News who want to control file based streaming content to hide the file location for direct linking. Wouldn't want anyone to sidestep an opportunity for ad revenue, would we? It wouldn't surprise me either to find that some of those companies actually pay Adobe in some way for the inclusion of those features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xeon64 wrote:

Here is an idea. Adobe makes their own OS based on Linux and that solves the Interface problem. Adobe could make their Linux custom taylored for their software. It would be the ultimate design workstation.

That... would be... actually, quite fantastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might work if Adobe contracted with a major Linux vendor (like Red Hat or SUSE) to take care of the security issues. I suspect that the Adobe programmers have been so busy working on bug fixes that Marketing is always gnashing their teeth. This might be why they shifted to the Creative Cloud concept - so upgrades could be released incrementally and debugged as part of an ongoing process rather than the old way where a major upgrade happened all at once and programmers spent the next year doing nothing but fixing bugs from that event.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't going to happen anytime soon - the programmers are way too busy with bug fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt. Premiere Pro alone has been buggy enough on OSX and Windows since the 2014 release that an official Linux release wouldn't be doing anybody a favor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one if these people refuse , whey don't we just do what we always do? crack it and make it work on our own on linux systems/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use linux and only legally accuired software. Love is more important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ethics aside, that negates one of the reasons why CC products are useful - the ease of pushing out new upgrades. A look at the history of running Adobe products under Wine on Linux will show that some versions of some products would work fairly well while others would not work at all. It isn't so much about the stability of Linux, X, KDE, Gnome, Unity, Xcfe, etc.(although that enters into the equation) so much as the difficulties of maintaining bulletproof GUI code across multiple GUI platforms - even if the assembly code underneath is always x86 based.

One way around this that others have used is to only certify operation under a modified version of Wine running on a specific distribution of Linux running a specific GUI. As an example within the Linux community, the flavor of Ubuntu that is optimized for graphics and video (Ubuntu Studio) runs Xcfe instead of Unity primarily to lock down the GUI structure so users don't have to relearn the GUI every time Ubuntu tweaks Unity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a front end web developer, I spend 20-30% of my time editing imagery using apps Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks all within a VM.

The essential Windows VM for Internet Explorer and Adobe Creative Cloud waste (for want of a better word) a valuable 25GB of HD space.

The alternatives are there, I use Adobe Brackets, GIMP, Inkscape all within Linux. I am using these applications more and more - as an alternative to using Adobe Creative Cloud via a VM. Adobe Flash remains the only application for which I can not find a Linux equivalent.

At the end of the financial year, I will evaluate the cost and benefits of continued Adobe Creative Cloud membership. I can produce the same results with the aforementioned alternative applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my two cents, but maybe Adobe should run a crowdfunding campaign - And funders get a few months subscription of Adobe CC including Linux. Would probably make more money than they do now selling Windows and Mac due to all the piracy around the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see CC on Linux, (and android!) I will not be renuing my CC subscription because my next hardware upgrade will not be loaded with windows. so  adobe better hope my December bonus won't cover my newegg wish list.

I own a small (hobby) photography studio with my wife and I am sure my monthly contribution to adobe goes mostly unnoticed. in fact, I hardly notice it, which is the reason I signed up in the first place. The value to cost ratio is unparalleled in my opinion. BUT I do notice M$. So much time and energy lost to windows nonsense. I am done with that. I have tried other options and they are far from as elegant as PS and LR, but if they free me from Windows it will be worth it.

Adobe, you will be loosing an otherwise happy customer. I will gladly come back (even pay more) if I see you available on Ubuntu and android. Auto-renew: canceled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my next hardware upgrade will not be loaded with windows 8

What time frame are you talking about? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 12

months or about 60 months?

> if adobe values this customer

Adobe values all its customers but it is impossible to satisfy all of

them. So it has to be selective in who is worth bending rules for. I

don't know what sort of business you have with Adobe but if you are

wasting your time trying out all sorts of things in Linux then perhaps

you are not the sort of customer worth wasting any time for.

Perhaps you can check this out in 5 years time to see if there is any

progress towards your Linux operating system. I am sure there must be

something either way by December 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know... This thread is already many years old and Adobe was

"working on it" when the thread began...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont care, things exist. What was the chance of THAT happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a part-time photographer, I use LR and PS. I don't think I alone will ever produce enough revenue loss to affect Adobe's decision. I just wanted to make sure my one vote for Linux compatibility is recorded somewhere.

My hardware upgrade will be either this month or March 2015, depends on how much of my quarterly bonus my wife wants to spend on Christmas and how much she will leave for me and my "hobbies".

I will regularly check in for when Adobe embraces Linux which I am sure is just a matter of time. Every year Linux is closer and closer to closing the gap with Microsoft and Apple on the consumerability front. I'm pretty sure they are ahead already in the tech world. Most programmers and designers I know and work with are Linux based, and only cross over for compatibility issues (like Adobe). I think that is the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be straight with you. At present Adobe is not developing anything

for Linux and it has no concrete plans to do so unless people start

using Linux and Colleges and Universities start using Linux in their

computer labs.

I can't speak for US colleges but in UK all colleges and Universities

that I know of are using Windows 7 and Windows 8.x systems. Now

students from these universities are not likely to use Linux ever in

their lives even after graduating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not surprised, they will go where the market takes them. I don't think it is that far away. I know my local university has some classes crossing over. The physics department recently abandoned MATLAB and started teaching Octave and python, both Linux based. They just pass out thumb drives with an operating system loaded. It is pretty slick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Universities and Colleges have to take a stand against Microsoft

products and then we'll see some changes. As Colleges are still

"financed" by Microsoft, we are not likely to see any significant

changes towards Linux in the near future. Unfortunately, Colleges are

short of funds and so they take money from any companies that is

prepared to give them. Microsoft is a big donner of computers and

software to UK universities and colleges. Linux has no chance to get

into these Universities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Microsoft is bribing Adobe to not to release any Adobe's software to Linux. As such Win 8 and 8.1 is a big failure..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft does not need to bribe Adobe...

As far back as the decision to tie the Premiere Pro beta to the Windows kernel microcode (around 2000, if I recall) Adobe had committed their efforts to plug & play on the Microsoft bandwagon. In case this is ancient history, that's when Apple & Adobe had a falling out - Adobe had pushed the old Premiere as far as the legacy code would allow, Apple decided to build their own "Better cause it's Apple" video editing software (aka Final Cut) and Adobe could see the desirability of offloading system level stuff so they could focus on "features & functionality".

If the Linux community were to focus and develop only  one (1) GUI and one (1) standard API, then Adobe might seriously consider implementing a Linux solution. But there are so many Linux flavors to choose from... X, KDE, Gnome, Unity, etc. Realistically it ain't gonna happen.

My only hope in this direction is that a cloud hosted solution using a browser interface running on a gigabit end user Internet link might become the new standard - but that's at least 5 years out, as it means a substantial percentage of the end user Internet connections must be upgraded to gigabit fiber before the numbers will begin to make sense, and it means Adobe will have to build out the cloud infrastructure engines to handle the number crunching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are all excuses..then how come Corel Aftershot Pro has a Linux version , Blender has a Linux version,?? All runs across different distro's If it has to be done it can be done..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines