• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how come Corel Aftershot Pro has a Linux version

Did you try asking this to Corel?

>

Blender has a Linux version,

This particular product is distributed by somebody who is writing

programs for fun and therefore free of charge. This particular blender

is not the same as Microsoft's Blender product.

In any case, anybody can create products for Linux but a corporation

like Adobe has to concentrate on something that is already a successful

formula. At the end of the day, Adobe has to protect people's jobs and

so it can't start doing something that is not tried by anybody who is

their competitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

formula.  At the end of the day, Adobe has to protect people's jobs and

their competitor.

This sounds little insane to me.. Are you an Adobe employee or a Microsoft fanboy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever brought a software product to market?

It is a lot of work by people who want to be paid the big bucks - the risks are also rather high that the product will bite the dust. Look at all the VR companies that were going to make a killing and went belly up. There is a reason why the very few software giants who survived long enough to actually make money (rather than lose money for the investors) are called unicorns. (ie. magickal creatures that are exceedingly rare)

The odds on your average startup succeeding are about as good as winning the lottery...

It isn't enough to have a great product - you need fantastic marketeers, a huge market opportunity and deep pockets to make it past the early adopters to the sweet spot where CAGR flips to maximum market share.

There is also a real big difference between a commercial product and the typical linux project - software support. The only linux tools that have made it big in the visual effects arena began as in-house tools at companies like ILM, Digital Domain, WETA, etc. where the company had a large programming team who were paid over a long period of time to develop that tool and support it in actual production. This isn't something a college class project is capable of doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is exactly why a company like Adobe could change the market, and should. Adobe has, hands down, the best software in the business. They could literally release Linux-CC as a stand-alone distribution and be free of all apple and Microsoft nonsense and their customers would transfer over. How many of their customers have dedicated machines to run only Adobe software anyway? Probably most. If the operating system worked for their software instead of the other way around it would be a huge win on every front. They have the resources, knowledge and customer/fan base to do it. I'm not sure why they are so scared of being that innovative when they're in the business of cutting-edge technology. The only reason I can think of is they are just getting use to being the leader so they don't feel like they need to take the risks (even though because they are by far the best the risk would be very low).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyways whatever I use in Ubuntu:

Best Replacement for Photoshop: GIMP

Best Replacement for InDesign: Scribus

Best Replacement for Illustrator: Inkscape

Best Replacement for After Effects: Blender

Best Replacement for Premiere: DaVinci Resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading your statement:

formula.  At the end of the day, Adobe has to protect people's jobs and

their competitor.

I am not trying to be facetious but an average person with average intelligence and common sense can see this is a problem if such philosophy exists at Adobe. Adobe became popular because it was, at least in my opinion, trendy and thinking outside the box. Buzz in the forums I would traverse always talked about how Adobe was the 'next big thing' and the power of Flash, etc, etc. A corporation, especially one that wants to protect people's jobs in the technology sector, should always have a R&D department that not only focuses on current product(s), but future product(s), and the propagation of such product(s) into any relevant area; in this case, operating systems. Adobe is a product company. Want sense does it make in today's world to not have your product work on all three major operating systems if you are really talking about gain.

It is, again in my opinion, only a matter of time before the playing field of levels out or proves the importance of including Linux and why not be ahead of the curve? Adobe's product model does not just target the desktop and as mobile devices are becoming larger and including more than just cellular phones and tablets, Linux should be even more so considered a viable platform for desktop functionality. I believe there is a lot more that can be said and for this thread to still be around after 3+ years and active should speak volumes. I know some folks have given up on Adobe stepping up and making their mainstream applications available to the Linux desktop, however my hope is that Adobe has not given up on its customers, employees, and culture, and sees the potential and invests, like any other investment, in developing for Linux desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not getting it guys Adobe is getting a lots of money from Microsoft, maybe even from Apple, to not release their software for Linux. Why? Coz half of the world would switch to Ubuntu. Malware and viruses on Windows are pain in the ass. And Apple hardware price is insane too. It's all about money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr MVP, Mr Staffs yang terhormat.

this is the very very big faulty of adobe. IS THEY EVER THINK WHAT THEIR SERVER IS RUNNING?, APACHE IS RUN UNDER A BUNCH OF OSES, BUT WHAT THE MOST EFFICIENT?, LINUX COK (DON'T CARE ITS UBUNTU SERVER, OR ORACLE SOLARIS(LINUX'S SISTER)).

and do you know fedora and opensuse, they are based on THEY ARE BASED ON THE MOST SECURE REDHAT LINUX AND NOVELL SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISES!.

also linux is already GROWN UPS COK AND NOT ONLY USED BY HOBBYIST, ITS ALSO USED BY ENTERPRISES, FREE-LANCERS, LANDWORKERS WHO NEED POWERFUL AND SECURE OPERATING SYSTEMS COK JANCOK.

even now in my class here in indonesia, there's 30 of 30 students who use linux, 10 of them including me fully install their os with linux distro they like, and another of them dual-booted ONLY FOR GAMING. but i think they'll moved to fully linux this holiday.

oh, and remember mr MVPs, WE CAN SUE YOU WITH CASE OF POOR QUALITY SERVICES ALSO LIED ON CROSS-PLATFORM APPLICATION!

live from surabaya cok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"adobe will never develop for linux" then what's this: Adobe Education Exchange

mytaxsite.co.uk are you just a troll or are you adobe's official voice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is likely being corrupt. Business development @ Adobe knows they would sell more than enough licenses to pay for the additional engineering resources required to supporting Linux. Furthermore, it would save lots of money for various creative professionals. Apple is likely in some agreement with them so they can keep gouging customers on slow & old hardware while Adobe continues to give them special treatment. Adobe you are suckers! You're not actually getting special treatment from Apple - just look at how much faster FCX is than your software on OSX... And ask your engineers how much faster Adobe stuff could be made to run on a Creative Suite-optimized Linux distro!

Shame on you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently left the Windows user community having bought a new laptop ad being horrified at how horrible Windows 8 was. First thing I did was strip it and install Ubuntu, since then my life has been much improved!

I'm a software designer, formerly a user of Adobe Creative Suite. Since making the move to Ubuntu, I have replaced everything I used to use on Windows with a suitable Ubuntu couterpart, unfortunately this also includes CS4 which I had been using happily for some time.

Dreamweaver has been replaced with Aptana, Photoshop with GIMP. Dreamweaver is not without it faults, but it has some features which I do miss. Aptana is very good, but I miss Dreamweaver sometimes. I should point out that this is the ONLY thing I miss, and I am certainly not prepared to pay for a Windows license just to use this. I would, however, be more than happy to pay for a Creative Cloud license if it were available for Ubuntu. That would be very welcome.

I don't miss Microsoft Office, that's been replaced with Libre Office and Thunderbird. And guess what? They never crash! Neither do Aptana or GIMP. It's bliss.

So come on Adobe, instead of asking people not to continue posting this request because you've already had so many similar requests, why not just get on with it. Four years ago you said it was on "your engineers' radar" so by now surely it should be available. Be cool, be a trend-setter, go against the corporate grain. Let's see Creative Suite for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, I like Linux, despite its warts (Main Linux problems on the desktop, 2015 edition), but let's be realistic here: Adobe is not going to port over Creative Cloud to native Linux. Probably never.

Part of it is financial (as some have explained, Linux users are often very cheap and paying for Linux-devs to maintain/port code is not cheap) but I think the core issue is that Linux as it exists today on the desktop isn't really a safe bet for any company.

I think Linux in the form Android and Chrome OS is what intrigues businesses and users, and it's no mystery why: Those power most smartphones and zero-hassle laptops and that's what the majority of consumers and end users want.

So I think stuff like the Adobe Education Exchange Photoshop CC Streaming thing is about as close as desktop Linux users will ever get. AND HONESTLY, THAT'S NOT BAD AT ALL!

I've done graphic design now for over a decade, went to school for it, worked at downtown Chicago marketing companies doing it, etc. and of all the stuff Adobe makes, the only REAL program I need is Photoshop. Everything else I can actually mind alternatives to. Photoshop though is their killer app, and if Photoshop is going to live in a browser, that means I am no longer tied to any platform or device to use it (yes, I know it's Chrome only for now, but it's a gloried OnLive-like remote desktop app).

So stop expecting CC on Linux to happen. The best you could ever hope for is to get Photoshop ported over anyways, and that is likely to never occur. The Photoshop CC Streaming thing is the next best thing, and should ultimately work the same whether you're running Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD, Android, iOS, etc. or whatever else can run a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why they wouldn't do it.  Mac is built on Unix so it shouldn't be to difficult to port while maintaining secure access to their product.  People that want to get free access are going to try to subvert the system no matter what OS the system supports.  Adobe is literally the only reason I would run windows and is about 60% of the reason I currently run a mac.  (That number would be less if Apple would lower their stinking prices)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decisions made by Adobe are necessarily shortsighted economic decisions because like any public company their valuation is based on the immediate perception of value to shareholders rather than the creation of long term utility. You - the community of creators, thinkers and doers - we who actually create value - will always be a step ahead of those trying to capitalize on it.

I too have been just another trained monkey for Microsoft, Adobe and Apple. These companies have jumped the train early, but the train is much greater than these companies. The personal computer is not a novelty or a toy. I will not play the games that we have seen played over the last 20 years. So a proposal for the community of doers: If Adobe can or will no longer enable your creative efforts (even though many similar minded folks working at Adobe would like to) you have to change the paradigm.

I am starting to use online photo and video editors instead of paying to download and continually update programs on my local drive. Sure there are limitations, but there are also benefits. Who is still paying for Microsoft Office when Google Drive is free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling real soon they are going to start charging us a monthly fee just to use the Operating system. All signs are point to this. If this happens I am moving 100% to Linux at home. Work will more than likely keep paying Microsoft. We will see with Windows 10. Sadly once this cloud scam takes off where users have to pay to use the OS and all their software we will start to see proprietary hardware that we can not install Linux on and no new hardware will be available to build a Linux systems. When this happens I am done. They will not get my money because I will be done with using a computer for anything other than basic Web tasks. They are so sickened with increasing profits that they can not realize they are going to loose a lot of people. Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft made Billion with out the cloud and I can not understand why they can not continue to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Yes it is necessarily moving that way. The 'cloud' hype is just another marketing spin for 'remote network' but keep it positive! Users will stay one step ahead. There are many people like us - a large homogenous market. We will always be able to build computers ourselves because the manufacturers will not stop making chips and motherboards so long as there is a significant market for these products. Chipmakers have already amortized the production of adequate processing power chips so unless the OS companies buy out all chipmakers, they will not be able to control hardware production. 

We all know that Microsoft and Intel have colluded for many years to maintain the required upgrade business model. It got old right? Yep that model is running out of steam so necessarily they have to move applications away from users so to maintain control. Netscape 3.0 would still be the best browser if they had not obsolesced it.

It's not about building the best car, it's about creating the highest profit margin. Once a business is large enough to control or collude to control a market (why do you think Golf is a popular sport), the focus is on margin not giving the customer more. That is the purview of the maverick.

Keep up the positive spin ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we definitely need Linux support. I'm tired of being locked into these platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is so many ridiculousness in this thread. I work for one of the biggest media/ entertainment companies and spent a big heap of budget on software licenses, and all of this on Linux. And I'm certainly not the only one around here.

So stop telling me that this is niche, hobbyist, or Linux users were cheap. We have Nuke, Houdini, Maya, Davinci Resolve, ... all on Linux. There are very good reasons for using Linux over Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. A Linux design workstation would be a work Horse that would out perform Windows and OS X. A lean and mean OS built for doing WORK! One could compile their Linux Distribution just for the Hardware that they have. No bloat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<rant>

I agree, what a bunch of ridiculous statements about Linux and those who use it.  I use Mac, Linux, and Windows and I would be full time on Ubuntu if my required apps ran there.

My biggest issue right now is the time I've spent just trying to figure out if Adobe currently supports any Linux distro, and if not, does Adobe ever plan to do so.

Its pretty obvious from reading this group, that Adobe does not support their products on Ubuntu, or any other Linux distro.  But is anyone from Adobe reading this discussion? If so a clear statement from a qualified employee about Adobe's position on Linux would be greatly appreciated. If Adobe has made a business decision to not produce Linux versions of their software, then we could all save a lot of time because whether we want it or not, that would indicate that efforts to persuade Adobe to create a Linux version are simply a waste of time on our part.

I could easily make a compelling business argument for Adobe to port its apps to Linux, despite the volumes of misinformation above.  If there is an audience for such a proposal, then I will chip in to create the business case presentation.  In the mean time, trolls like @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sad with a lack of support for ubuntu and other linux distros. I'm considering moving back to windows (sic!).

http://zarobkiwlondynie.blogspot.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.Personally I would not like to see Adobe diverting resources to work on a Linux version of Creative Cloud. Let me put it this way: if a designer or a design company is not satisfied with Windows, it moves to Mac. Certainly it would not move to Linux. If one moves on Linux, it's certain it can live without most of the Creative Cloud apps. More certain is that is a casual user of Adobe apps, not a professional that needs them to have it's work done. So why would Adobe spend resources to make a Creative Cloud for Linux? Most of the Linux users use Photoshop and Lightroom and they would probably submit to a Photoshop for Photography (for Linux) subscription and that would be all. The news is that Photoshop CC and Lightroom are now working on Linux through Play on Linux. I don't know if it's possible with Lightroom 5 CC, but in Photoshop CC 2014 one can now sign in with it's subcription user and password and it's possible even to download and install upgrades. So stop pestering Adobe with your Linux only demands. It's not vital to you, it does not affect your livelyhood or otherwise you would have  not made the move to Linux. Subcribe to Photoshop for Photography Windows program and use them with wine and Play on Linux. The other Creative Cloud apps are for the big boys, and the big boys would not starve to death while demanding a Linux version of Creative Cloud. I know would not be very popular, but hey: truth never is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree and think this is a bit biased. I use many CC apps (mostly AE, FL, PS, IL) daily and all day long at work and CC is the only reason why I'm stuck with a Mac. I'd much rather work on a linux power horse. Also, why wouldn't you want Adobe to put the tiny little effort required into a version for linux, sounds a bit selfish. Usually Mac and Linux versions of applications are launched simultaneously because you might as well do both, it's not a big deal. Your statements about PS CC and LI CC being available on Play on Linux shows proves how easy it would be for Adobe to release a Linux version.

I notice that ppl assume that it's only current linux users that want to have CC on linux and that since linux users are niche and most apps are free, there wouldn't be much to gain.

I think it's the other way around, at least for me it is: I think it's mostly professionals already using CC that care about being able to use it on Linux too, and that are stuck on Win or Mac in meanwhile.

If CC was available for Linux I'd just move to Linux and that's that. If that's not gonna happen then what's gonna happen is that ppl like me will eventually find a way around CC. So the way I see it, it would be a win-win situation if CC was available for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cocoknightcom wrote:

If that's not gonna happen then what's gonna happen is that ppl like me will eventually find a way around CC.

People have tried it and failed so your best option is to get a Windows 7 or a 8 machine so that will qualify you for a free Windows 10 upgrade.  This has double advantage:

1) you get industry standard operating system;

2) You get to use your CC applications;

With CC you can do wonders and that is why people are staying with it.  I don't know how I will survive without a good windows system and Adobe Creative Cloud Applications!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2015 Apr 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i left windows because i just did not want to update to vista. there was an ad online, it said, "don't want to upgrade to vista, buy a mac, everything works."

and it did. it was wonderful. the computer actually worked. i bought a computer and did not need to spend 2-3 days configuring it.

but now -- the "macintosh experience" has waned. it ain't what it used to be. stuff is supposed to work. what just happened? premiere pro CC stopped working for no reason that i can see -- it was working last night -- i have something to finish -- and premiere pro is not working.

i feel like it is 1995 again, and everyone is upgrading to "windows 95." it is ridiculous. software is supposed to work. it is supposed to serve us.

i taught computer literacy from that perspective, i've been an IT manager and was able to breathe refreshing life into the systems i supported because of that perspective. because i make things work -- and i also expect things to work -- properly -- without burdening me or other users with information and procedures useless to us.

application users do not wish to have their time and attention consumed by installs, crashes, digging into preferences files, error messages, etc. etc. application users want software to work -- to serve them -- and to do so quickly, easily, effectively, and enjoyably.

the only reason i have not yet migrated from windows -- to macintosh -- to linux -- is because of adobe's CC. that is the absolute sole reason i am still "on a mac."

i really wish software worked better. i wish developers paid more heed to end users -- and hired people like me as end user advocates. i wish software companies did not force their customers to be their first line of software testing. it makes little sense to me how slowly end user software, in general, has progressed since the 90's.

so anyway, i wanted to finish something up quickly this morning, and premiere pro won't launch. i am going to get back to seeing if i can't figure something out. and -- unfortunately -- it will probably be some dumb workaround. i really don't like "finding just the right workaround," it is such a massive waste of time. from sitting and reinstalling DOS 800 times in the 90's to premiere pro just not launching in 2015 -- i am really honestly disappointed in the software industry as a whole.

releasing software that doesn't work -- or that you have to tweak and tweak and then you can just barely get it to work if you keep all other applications off and light incense and hum mantras near the machine -- only then -- will it: export your video or print your image or crunch your numbers -- or whatever it is you are seeking to do -- only if you jump through 50 hoops -- will the application do -- what it actually should do right out the box -- and then -- the application is rude to you by creating its own vocabulary and not explaining it to you.

so that is a bit of a rant -- but especially if linux provides greater stability -- especially if users can expect more stable & reliable computer use -- so that they don't have to sit and configure and tweak and reinstall and have stuff break on them and then be forced through completely irresponsible upgrade procedures (upgrades that break things), i mean, if it has a chance of improving our user experience -- please please: release CC for linux.

i would switch to linux in a heartbeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines