• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have Adobe product binaries available; however, Adobe has made it abundantly clear they will never port their software. Why waste our time entertaining the idea when the company has zero intentions of doing so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Care to share your sources on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the thing is, this whole "situation" is forcing me to make hardware purchase decisions that i do not want to make, and i am going to say, most likely, that is understood and intentional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for Adobe CC on Linux here. I'm a photographer and the ONLY reason I have a Windows computer is for CC. How frustrating is it to sit down to edit your photos after a shoot that you felt went really well only to see...."Windows is installing update number 1 of 15". Guess I'll just pop the kettle on and wait until the machine I use to make money and keep myself eating warm food and living somewhere with a roof decides I can do some work.

Come on Adobe, listen to what we're saying here. Linux ISN'T niche. Pretty much all of the people I know that work in Web development, software development etc use a nix box of some description and my photographer friends WANT to use Linux. I'd much rather spend the money wasted on a Windows licence to buy more RAM or a better processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really curious about the effects of the Windows10 SpyGate on this situation.

As a photographer I've tried time and time again to find a way out of MS Win and the only thing that's kept me back was Adobe LR + PS, but frankly with the way things are going with W10 I'm not sure I'm going to be upgrading.

The time may have come where the shortcomings of LinuxOS equivalents to LR+PS aren't as bad as the bloat and opaqueness of Windows OS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dark Table (Lightroom alternative) is actually getting pretty close now and I haven't tried it personally but have heard great things about Pixeluvo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks, it's been a while since I've checked up on these !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone should also be aware when updating that Windows 7 & 8 is going to get the spyware that Windows 10 has.  So the bastards in Redmond are now in fact sending
that User Data back there.  Windows is pushing the KB3075249 AND KB3080149, some say that 50 million users worldwide already has the updates and to top it off it will bypass
firewall, hosts files, and other means to counter this.  The way around is to uninstall the updates and hide them from future installs.

There are other updates that will screw your experience up, so user beware, the more reason we need to dump Win and Mac and switch to some other O/S.  Whatever happened to just
plain O/S designed to be just that and nothing more  Even Mac now shows people's birthdays I have never heard or seen before..

. Good luck you all, time to go search for other KB updates and remove them while we all should send Microcrap some opinionated tweets or emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone already commented on that.

I wonder if it would not be feasible, at least the Adobe support for the rodassem software with the help of Wine. I see many using Photoshop on Linux through Wine, but there's always a problem.

Adobe to help at least to run their software through Wine satisfactorily, perhaps already a little help. And work for porting would not be so expensive. Even if it charged an additional amount for "DLLs" or something similar, I would pay just to get out of Windows. It would be a possibility if the software rotate well.

We see many companies animation and film production, using Linux to run its main software. Users do not want Linux software for free when I wore only Linux, I had proprietary software on my system, and paid for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is the part that many non-linux users don't understand. Yes, the OS is free (as in free beer) but that doesn't mean we're not prepared to pay for a quality product - which Adobe CC undoubtedly is. In fact I'd say for people who are more than casual computer users , I'm thinking photographers, film makers, graphic designers and web designers here - whether enthusiasts or pro's - would be more willing to pay for products like Adobe if they can also factor out a Windows licence as well. Wouldn't this help re-enforce Adobes' anti-piracy efforts and also gain a whole new user base? Win-win as far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot of commercial software available on Linux. In fact, as far as content creation goes, Adobe is really an exception. Autodesk, The Foundry, Solid Angle, Pixar - just to name a few. I think it's a huge misconception that Linux users are just a bunch of rogue computer nerds.

If/when I start my own post production company, I will be using Linux. As a result, Adobe will not be part of my pipeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least make the old Macromedia products for Linux. I need Dreamweaver & Fireworks for Linux!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to go out from Windows I don't like it!! But there are some Apps including Adobe that is not compatible with Ubuntu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there are only three options at this stage. run windows or mac, maybe as a dual boot system, with all their problems and just put up with it, use the alternatives that are available (there's a few listed above by myself and others) which is what I'm moving to do at the moment or use a virtual machine with hardware emulation and PCIe pass through on the GPU. this last option is really the only way to have decent adobe performance on Linux but it is no easy task. its covered here Skylake Linux Box with PCIe Passthrough - OVMF + Qemu + KVM = GTA V - YouTube with a focus on gaming but it would fine with adobe and it has a link to more info in the description but for now it may be more work than its worth for some. If abobe is an absolute must and so is linux (which is more important than adobe) then either it or dual booting are your only options. otherwise consider moving to things like pixeluvo, blender and the other Linux/cross-platform alternatives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

run windows or mac, maybe as a dual boot system, with all their

problems and just put up with it,

There is nothing wrong in running Windows in dual boot mode with Linux.

You are the first one to tell us this here without explicitly spelling

it out what these "all their problems" are.

It is amazing that people are still expecting Adobe to release their

products for Linux Operating System. The sensible thing is to either

continue using Windows, Apple MAC or simply go and find something

different. Windows and MAC are going to remain here and Adobe is going

to continue supporting them as long as there is "enough" demand for CC

to run on them.

Few weeks ago, I saw an AD from DELL announcing DELL Ubuntu for the UK

market. That has now been removed because not many people wanted these

machines (apparently). The machines were pretty cheap and I was thing

of getting one to install Windows (instead of Ubuntu) but I can't find

it now. US website has still got it so you guys can go and buy it while

they are still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I put up with this compatibility stuff? Run 2 computers at each workstation and switch via a KVM switch - CC runs on dedicated edit boxes (Mac or PC) that are never used for email or office type stuff - those can be Linux, Mac or PC. Files are shared through a Ubuntu Samba Server/SAN network.

This is not a new thing - a biotech company I worked for in the late 1990's had a network with Unix, Linux, VAX, Solaris, Mac and PC machines that shared files through a Novell server (another flavor of Unix). PhD types often had deeper skills in Unix & VAX/VMS than the IT staff. Each OS/machine was used for its strengths.Users varied in skill levels - the office staff stuck with PCs while researchers used whatever made sense for each application. It is pretty much the same today from what former co-workers tell me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

want to go out from Windows I don't like it!! But there are some Apps

including Adobe that is not compatible with Ubuntu

Not compatible? I thought they just can't run at all. Windows programs

comes in binaries while Linux being Open Source has its own format which

you need to ask in Ubuntu forums if you are interested to know about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for input English is not my native language, but I would add something to the debate because although I see some reason many still do not find a truly convincing answer Why make Adobe CC for Linux? I think that's not the question, the question is why not? The niche of users occupying Windows users is vastly superior, that is something I will not deny and one of the main reasons is because supported precisely companies like Adobe and suites as Adobe CC that Linux does not exist, having to resort to alternative Open Source, which although laudable and there are people doing great work the truth is that a general fall far behind in terms of features about Adobe solutions CC, especially for those who do not have those divine gifts to those amazing work can be seen on YouTube with any tool, including Microsoft Paint ... But why the number of users is used as justification for not develop something that we have spent years asking for Linux users? I do not want to get into debate about which OS is better, but the niche users who add all Linux distributions than or at least equal in number to the MacOSX users; I do not have actual data, but Steve Jobs boasted 50 million users who had MacOSX worldwide, but only adding users Ubuntu and Fedora in 2009, Linux reached 36 million users in total, not counting the rest distributions.

Linux is now being adopted in countries such as Germany or Italy and France for government organizations using Photoshop was replaced by Krita at the University of Paris 8 Why? I'm not saying that Adobe acquired the Open Source philosophy, I am not against proprietary software, but the Open Source (not speaking only of Open Software, but also the Open Hardware) is helping to reduce licensing costs in thousands of institutions and this is ever more noticeable. I live in Mexico and here are cities where technology has not come or comes in the form of piracy because they have the means to pay for software licenses / proprietary hardware, with Linux, LibreOffice or raspberry solutions for technology to reach schools low resources. Be the suite of Adobe CC is not for all these cases but it focuses on a very specific niche, but what I mean is that the Open Source philosophy is to favor growing humanity and the only reason many who work in Windows is precisely as Adobe Software CC.

Gladly you pay a license for Linux if Adobe CC exist on Linux systems but what they are getting to do this? Promote piracy, encourage many users to continue using Windows unlawful manner to provide Software as Adobe CC and not only that, but so ridiculously easy pirating suite Adobe CC, both Windows and MacOSX with the consequent loss of money that entails. It is pointless for (for example) has 50 million users on Windows Adobe CC and 50 in MacOSX if those 100 total pay your license just 10 ...

Promote the use of Open Source, working on a version of Adobe CC for Linux and see how your user community is much appreciated, making that effort in new subscriptions for Adobe. I also encourage them to work more alternative Open Source as Adobe brackets, if there is an Open Source version of programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator fame Adobe would rise through the roof and it really would not be wasting money by not supporting the cause to make people resort to legal alternatives honored and since most users would use these versions would be precisely those who resorted to piracy using these tools, the faithful to Adobe suite users who continue to use versions being " complete "as it were, as with brackets, that being a great code editor there are still millions of users of Adobe Dreamweaver.

I repeat, I do not say this with any offense or raise controversy, I just hope it will help in the future we may see Adobe CC in Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will eventually port CC to linux as Microsoft begings to port a lot of their stuff to Linux as well.

Visual Studio Code is a good example but the more important one was the .NET framework itself.

Valve has done the same and they will continue to work on the game industry for us.

I can only assume the code base was written in something fairly platform agnostic like C++ and the hardest part of the port would be the GUI code. My advice for adobe would be to take the leap of faith and move your GUI system to a platform like Qt and let someone else deal with the Windows/Mac/Linux compatibility headache.

This late in 2015 and we're still seeing big commercial things happen for Linux so keep your hopes up everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad that I run across this thread in 2015 and they still have not provided a Unix solution. I am personally unfamiliar w/ Unix and the main reason is that MS and its cronies have a programming blackout on support for it. So I am more or less coerced into staying. I can't abandon the software I'm accustomed to. I actually found this thread specifically because I'm getting another new workstation, and looking again at whether or not I can actually make a free market decision about what OS to choose. Apparently my choices are still limited by the cronyism of the entrenched players. Having said all that I want to bring up a related idea, which is that seeing this thread gives me a little less hope that another one of my peeves, that the mobile apps are only available to iSnobs, will be addressed. I know there has been a huge demand from Android users like me that has gone similarly ignored. We pay good money for our subscriptions and we ought to be able to use them on a device of our choosing!! It's not your job to decide what else we can or can't use. Stop the insanity!! Unix and Android are both giant market segments. You are crazy NOT to support us!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can safely say that Adobe both wants and needs to be on the Linux platform to attract large film studio subscriptions, but there are two big problems right now.

The first is that Apple has recently made so many changes to OS-X that all the existing programmers are working as hard as they can trying to keep up with the changes so Mac platform support stays current.

The second is money - more people subscribing to CC means that money will become available to increase the head count so they can hire engineers specifically to work on Linux development.

If you really want a Linux version of CC, urge everyone you know to become a subscriber so the cash flow improves. Adobe took a HUGE risk two years ago when they decided to switch over to subscriptions and they finally have enough subscriptions to break even - more will be required to be able develop for Linux. (note that in hindsight this is now seen as a wise move and others (Autodesk & Blackmagic) are following suit - but at the time it meant Adobe began to lose money until subscriptions picked up the slack)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the request of the original poster. I'm a Linux user wanting to explore the possibilities provided by Adobe. Unfortunately they are not yet available for my platform, and I'd like to express the desire that this fact will soon be changed.

Furthermore, I've been following this thread and I'm royally amazed about the misconceptions people seem to have with respect to free software. It is certainly not limited to enthausiasts, academics or professionals, as Android and Steamos underscribe. Furthermore, its users are also willing to pay for their software, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Also, the claims made that MS Windows and Apple OSX provide better security against piracy are fundamentally flawed. Even though they are closed source, they are vulnerable to introspection-based attacks. Every piece of software must be available in memory, decrypted, in order to be executed and no copy protection mechanism can prevent that. I won't deny the differences in user base, but the linux userbase (1.74%) nowadays is large enough to make a profit, which is all Adobe should care about.

A final note on piracy: it is as natural as eating or drinking, completely independent of operating system and the largest economic growth is realized where piracy triumphs. Take a quick look at China and you know this to be true. And it is a blessing for Adobe, as it is the single reason startups buy a subscription: if it were impossible to pirate Adobe's tools, teenagers would become acquainted with other tools. So stop being a big baby and accept you're living in a real world, where piracy is a real thing and .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article from just a few years ago - Linux in Hollywood | Creative Planet Network - seems to indicate that Adobe is actually the oddball in not offering Linux support in their tools for some of the highest-end film and TV productions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been said over and over that at best, Linux market share (more accurately, Linux use, since the OS is freely distributed rather than sold) is barely over 1%.  Please tell me, Adobe, what evidence you have to support this number.  If it's based on number of Linux distro downloads measured, then the number can't be limited to that, because the OS can be so freely distributed after download, without limitation.  And is that 1% limited to the U.S., or is that a global percentage?  Because that number is growing exponentially in other markets.  Various statistical experts believe the number of Linux adopters is significantly higher globally, possibly 10% or greater (Linux adoption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).  I know these things are hard to quantify exactly, but add to that the number, whatever it is, of actual Windows-using paying CC subscribers who would switch to the Linux platform to use CC in a heartbeat, were they given that choice.  Do a survey.  I bet you'd find a ton of people, like myself, who would ditch Windows and all its problems in a heartbeat.  At the very least, we know we'd get much better performance on the same hardware; in other words, we'd get much more performance bang for the buck.  It would be the equivalent of losing 100 pounds - render times would slash to a fraction, etc.  Why?  Because Windows is an inefficient OS.  Even Windows 10.  The architecture is still the same, with its clunky registry and all.  Every time Microsoft comes out with a new version of Windows, it's just putting lipstick on a pig.  They'd have to redo the whole architecture of the kernel from scratch, probably to something *nix-based, before you'd ever see any real improvement from Redmond.

So anyway, if you take some experts' opinions that global Linux use may be around 10% or higher, that already exceeds the estimates of Mac OS usage (which is reported anywhere from about 4-7% - e.g., Operating system market share, Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down to "Desktop and laptop computers")).  Add to that, like I said, the potential Windows CC users who would switch given a choice, and you have enough justification to port the CC programs to Linux.  Even if I'm wrong, and Linux desktop adoption is only about 1-2% at best, if Mac OS X adoption is only about 4-7, or 4-8%, is there really that much difference?  I mean, c'mon, both these OS's are in the single digits of usage!  To put it another way, what is Adobe's threshold of OS market share before they'll develop for it?  Why is AJA, Blackmagic Design, Autodesk, Editshare, Pixar, et al, all "wasting their time and money" making Linux drivers and software?  Well, maybe they're not afraid to actually be entrepreneurial, you know, like companies are supposed to be, and, you know, take risks!  And with all the overwhelming response on this issue, not only here but in many other places on the web, I think that's justification enough for Adobe to at least look into doing this port.  If EditShare could do it with Lightworks (a very powerful editor that's been used to cut major features like L.A. Confidential, Pulp Fiction, and The King's Speech - Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone, linked from the EditShare website), by making most of the code OS-independent (The implications of LightWorks coming to Linux - TechRepublic), then there's no reason for Adobe not to do the same with their CC applications, especially since they already make Windows and Mac versions (and PLEASE tell me Adobe's smart enough to write their apps in such a way as to have most of the code OS-independent, so they don't have to do double-work when they do updates!).

Look, here's the bottom line.  Adobe doesn't really focus on software for the masses (except for an office application like Acrobat and Flash Player for web browsing).  By and large, Adobe makes specialized software for creative professionals.  That already is a pretty small niche.  So it shouldn't matter whether the OS the creative professional is using has the greatest consumer market share or not (e.g., Windows).  Granny Doll and Auntie Grizelda out there aren't going to design an online or a magazine ad for a Fortune 500 company.  They're also not going to edit a promo for ESPN.  The professional creative community is smaller than that.  And if Hollywood is saying they use Linux tools all the time in their work right now, but the one gap left is that they can't use Adobe software in their Linux workflow, that alone should be enough to persuade Adobe to go Linux if nothing else.  The rest of us creative professionals in smaller production companies, TV stations, governments, etc. will benefit also, and Adobe will increase sales, not lose money.  Count on it.  If Adobe is worried about this risk flopping, I can think of COSTLY flops in major tech companies that were caused by really stupid products and stupid decisions.  Porting your CC programs to Linux is NOT stupid, Adobe.  It will help you keep your market dominance amidst rising competitors and users frustrated with Windows but who don't want to replace their hardware just to go to Mac.  Such users may get desperate and go to the competition.  I mentioned EditShare's Lightworks, which recently got ported to Linux.  Adobe needs to remember the words of a good book - "Let he who thinks he stands take heed, lest he fall."  Competition can always unseat the "industry standard".  (Remember Blackberry?  They used to be on top of the mobile hardware space.)  EditShare is no Adobe, certainly, but it's not a guy or a few guys hacking out software from a basement, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Supported Apple when OS 9 was around 2 percent of the Marketshare. That was back when the only thing keeping Apple afloat was creative professionals. Things were much better back then for creative professional because the whole OS was tailored for Power Users Creative Professional Work. THAT IS WHAT WE WANT AGAIN ADOBE! An OS for Creative Work NOT social networking! If you supported Apple with a 2% market share of mostly creative professionals in the late 1990s why can't you do it today with Linux users? I want and OS that renders 3 gig photoshop Bus Wraps effectively without crashing and freezing! I want an OS that when I open the Process Manager there is not 150 processes running in the background for junk that I do not use that are tide into the OS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines