• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is the way.  Like everything else, you have to research and learn how to do things to make it work. Even going as far as relearning new tools that happen to be free. For this reason, Windows and Mac will always win.  Even if it's users face an onslaught of issues, they're simply too lazy to consider the alternative that is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Win and Mac are losing it's edge.  If you want simple plug and play with full support, you'll have to pay.  If the OS is free, then you surrender your data in exchange.  Windows 7 was the pinnacle of MS, being the most stable in my 30 years of experience. I think it's becoming hard for companies to find programmers with critical thinking skills.  Many are retiring.  The forums are rife with complaints about poor support, the things we've come to expect with paying. All support is nothing more than someone reading back a script.  My experience has been good.  However, it's a systems approach and I'm on the fence with Win 10. 

Linux is supported by a massive community of critical thinkers.  However, it doesn't always mean privacy or security.  There is none.  However, the software is dirt cheap or free, with little to no support.  Thus the  price is picking up a manual and a learning curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i hope adobe work on Linux too,  it will give us PC users  the choice between  2 OS

because   some of designers  who use  adobe also know  some   programing

for my self   i use  dual  boot for windows   and    linux.   90%of the time on   windows  99% because i need   adobe products

bottom    line adobe on  linux  will give us   more options 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is still a niche player and all efforts of Adobe porting their software to Linux or Unix in general failed commercially until now. I do not think that Adobe will venture any port of CC until Linux reaches a critical maass in the creative world. But I’m sure that internally, they have a team working on Linux and great software. As supercomputers are running (mostly) Linux, I’m sure that some of Adobes internal code is running on such machines.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't blame the adobe

just go and support alternatives!!!

GIMP and Inkscape are some kinds of good software but they have a very slow development pace since they don't have enough money to hire more developers. you may pay 10-50 bucks for Adobe products per month. what about donating only 10 bucks per YEAR to GIMP?? if we the COMMUNITY do such thing you would see that they will catch adobe software soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a bit of programming. Maybe I should do that. Maybe you're right; I don't use adobe, but this level of corporate stupidity is past the point of being acceptable.

To Adobe:

I find it incredible how a company like Adobe still supports two platforms who're both eyeing to stab them in the back. Microsoft is locking down their system meaning you're going to have a 30% cut in your profits when Windows store becomes your only software distribution method on Windows.

In the same breath Apple is deprecating openGL; supporting Linux can't be more expensive then the rewrite all your products are going to need to stay competitive on newer Mac OSX versions. With the way Apple and their ecosystem is going I wouldn't be surprised if they created their own image editing app just to ensure people stick to their products.

Look at Valve. Their steam client is only officially supported on Ubuntu; but the Linux community has happily ported their steam storefront to nearly every consumer grade distribution under the sun.

Speaking of Valve if you where very Lazy, then do this. Go to Valve's github page for proton. Essentially it a compatibility layer for running Windows apps on Linux. Fork it, port a store application to Linux and just run your whole creative sweet thru it.

You're done; you've got a Linux package; a sort of drm to prevent pirating and virtually no further development time needed except for keeping that store app up to date...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hanro50  wrote

I know a bit of programming. Maybe I should do that.

Great, I'm waiting...

Microsoft is locking down their system meaning you're going to have a 30% cut in your profits when Windows store becomes your only software distribution method on Windows.

That won't happen!

With the way Apple and their ecosystem is going I wouldn't be surprised if they created their own image editing app just to ensure people stick to their products.

Apple has their own video editing system. They where that successful with that, that Adobe stopped temporarily the development on Premiere. Now Adobe is back with Premiere and very successful.

Go to Valve's github page for proton.

Who bought github?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Linux community has had a history of writing programs for itself. They already have a good stand in for premiere called Kdenlive. All it takes is a small group of angry programmers...

MS has essentially a Monopoly; they can do whatever they damn please and nobody would be able to stop them. Why do you think they're pushing people to go towards Windows 10 so much that they essentially forced some users to upgrade? Why do you think they're going to start pushing a policy for Windows 7 users to start paying a monthly fee for continued support...

Never say never.

Apple has also had a little run in with stifling competition. Their apps might be worse, but again they control their respected platform. If MS pulls something like locking down Windows successfully then don't think for a second Apple isn't going to be far behind.

MS bought Github, but that's not the same as owning everything hosted on it. It would be like Apple or Google owning every app posted to their respected stores. Not impossible, but definitely crossing some legal boundaries...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hanro50  wrote

MS has essentially a Monopoly;

You are 20 years too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another good reason to offer Adobe's software on Linux: Crostini -- that is, new ChromeOS devices will run GNU/Linux apps. So developing for Linux also gets you ChromeOS. That should be worth it -- I don't see any valid excuse now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cacogen  wrote

Here's another good reason to offer Adobe's software on Linux: Crostini -- that is, new ChromeOS devices will run GNU/Linux apps. So developing for Linux also gets you ChromeOS. That should be worth it -- I don't see any valid excuse now.

What a nonsense. MacOS is using a Unix Kernel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I follow you? You are saying that Linux should be doable because MacOS' kernel is also Unix-like?

The point is that developing GNU/Linux versions of Adobe's software also gets Adobe's software on ChromeOS devices -- so that's GNU/Linux users + ChromeOS users, which is a significant and increasing number of users.

ChromeOS + Crostini gives one access to Android *and* GNU/Linux applications, which should make Chromebooks/boxen increasingly interesting to, e.g., web designers/devs, and such.

The thing that would really suck is if they somehow build apps for ChromeOS, without GNU/Linux compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explain: The kernel is the least part of the porting. That is easy with command line programs, but not that easy with graphical programs. MacOS is driven by a UNIX kernel, but what makes MacOS unique is the graphical framework.

Similar, Windows has some UNIX, some VAX/VMS elements and some of it's own. But you can probably port easily command line programs from the UNIX world to the Windows world. But as soon as you have a graphics frame work it's starting to get complicated.

Also some of the Adobe products are very near to the machine level for optimal performance. Those normally do not translate well between OSes, even that we can now be quite sure that we stay on Windows PC hardware with Linux computers.

Linux is a great OS and it has it's applications, where it is leading. There is probably no supercomputer that has not a flavor of Linux. A vast majority of the web servers run Linux. My router is basically a Linux computer. My TV is a Linux computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the logic around the money not being there for Adobe. It's a subscription service. All they're doing is opening a window for more people and it would allow a large group of people to move to the OS that they want full time. Cmon Adobe. For the amount you make from CC subscriptions these days, you can afford the dev time for a Linux port. So many big studios are on Linux already. Sony for example uses Linux terminals in-house for their 3D department.

Step up Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all fairness to linux, I would like to add my share to this discussion.

I've used linux since 1998, and I can reassure you that not knowing the options available is not the same as some of the opinions expressed in  this thread.

So for the sake of ALL FAIRNESS to linux,  I would like to add my share.

Maybe back in 2012 this answer might've been somewhat correct, but it is not entirely accurate as there were and still are options available.

See here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/viewing-layers-on-adobe-reader-using-chromebook/m-p/10... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best part about Linux is, if you can't make an app work with it: https://github.com/corbindavenport/creative-cloud-linux , you are guaranteed that there are already multiple (often)free alternatives available. Check out: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-apps-prove-dont-need-adobe-creative-suite-linux/ 

Lists alternatives to Adobe CC apps. Some of which are better and/or easier to use then their Adobe counterparts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i must say, this is maddening.. utter madness!

for me, and my colleagues, entrenching myself ever deeper into computer hardware and software dependence is unavoidable, lest i do a 180 and take up farming or somesuch. i would love to simply just get on with my work, and not ponder the puzzling strategies of ubiquitous hardware and software developers of industry standard tools, and their decissions to leave gaping holes in their support. with so many moving parts, i imagine something so big, like adobe, with somany right hands and left hands passing each other like ships in the night, there is some decission maker, who has no idea this issue even exists, and if informed would be just as surprised as we are.. enough to draft a half page memo or whatever and have CC ported to a third platform... THE third platform: Linux et al. hopefully, after they spearheaded that project, they would be fired for not doing it sooner.

I mean is it really that hard? ..so difficult in fact that they would leave a significant sum of money on the table, and turn Linux users toward their competitors??

I'd love to know the logic. i'd love to have somebody in the know make me eat these words with a totally justifiable and obvious explaination as to why this is so: "the reason we don't / won't make CC available on Linux is _________, you idiot!! ..get a real OS!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linus Torvalds explaining why it's a nightmare to develop for Linux (about 4:30 minutes in).

The fact is, no SDK, no way to develop binaries that work across hundreds of distros, etc. mean Linux isn't ready. You can't publish something like a .dmg or .exe for Linux and expect it to work 10 years from now, or even tomorrow. Legacy support with the will and resources to keep anything working that can't simply be recompiled for whatever changes they make on critical parts of the OS simply aren't there. It wouldn't be developing for Linux, but developing for Linux x, y, z, etc. things like Snap are starting to show up, but I'm still seeing even open source software snaps break, so it's just a hack fix on top of the hack fix that is the package management system. Complain to your distro and the Linux community that Linux desperately needs a real SDK and to take legacy binary compatibility seriously; instead of complaining to compaines that don't provide Linux versions of their software. Until Linux starts taking 3rd party software support seriously, it's just not worth developing for. (I mean Torvalds himself not being able to properly package a binary application for Linux says a lot.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very good info. Thanks for sharing.

To fully compliment what you're sharing I may have to add that there is also lot of misunderstanding about copyright software and to what extent it could be fully supported in an open source platform that is solely focused on a copyleft-only approach.

If you're 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite having the same UI and the same workflow, kudos to Adobe, the UI part is platform dependent. Adobe on macOS only exists because of the personal push of Steve Jobs with Adobe and Apple helped there, and it has not been without rough patches. First, they used codewrecks, then they had to switch to Xcode to provide a universal app on Intel, then they had to switch to cocoa and all of that with C/C++, not objectiveC or Swift. The bottom line is that it takes a lot of effort for Adobe to open to a new platform. They need to test that every single workflow works the same and flawlessly and the UI is the same. Linux has a very little market share in comparison to Windows or Mac and Photo artists tend to work on Mac or Windows because they also have more tools. I came here today because I Googled if hey had done it already. It seems not and maybe they will never will. I wish they did but I understand why they are not doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a subscriber on the Adobe Suite for some time now, but I've also been a Linux user for much longer. The case of the low market share nowadays is merely an excuse. There's a lot of people who dual-boot with Windows, but it's the Microsoft OS that captures the statistics and registers those systems as Win platforms. Last April the market share of Linux systems jumped close to 5% globally, not including the non-registered systems. Heck, even my tech-illiterate sibling is running Linux Mint.

The only reason I'm using Windows right now is because of the Adobe Suite and a little bit because of Office 365. However, the moment there is a Creative Cloud on Linux, it's a permanent bye-bye for Windows. I'm really tired of having a 15" Surface Laptop 3 and getting blue screens of death while writing a document. It's ridiculous. The level of stability and speed the Linux OS provides is simply without comparison to the Microsoft systems. None.

Just as an FY, I just did a simple performance comparison for a 550 file copy, about half a gig in both Windows and Ubuntu Studio. The former took 5 seconds, while the latter copied everything the moment I clicked on the "paste" command. Both systems ran on NVme drives. There's a reason why serious VFX facilities demand knowledge of Linux. And soon my team and I will be building such a facility with several licenses. The price tag is not an issue there, but the ability to work is. As you can guess, all systems will be running Linux. If not Premiere, then Davinci Resolve. If not After Effects, then Nuke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not? So many Adobe users must use Windows soly for Adobe.  Google is 100% Ubuntu users.  They seem pretty on top of things.  Why not follow?

Market share not making it worth it to you Adobe?  Not many people travel by train before rails are laid.  Do it adobe.  Prove yourself hip to the scene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines