• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete Creative Clouds files locally while still keeping them in the cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using CC on my MacBook and disk space is slowly running out. Is there any possibility to delete the files from on my macbook without deleting them out of the cloud? I haven't found anything about that yet.

Thanks & greetings from germany,

Alex

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Hi Alex,

Normally file sync maintains identical copies of your Creative Cloud Files folder, one locally on your computer and one online in your Creative Cloud file storage. It is possible to only have copies on the cloud, and delete the local copies, but that wasn't really the way it was intended to be used. To do that you would want to turn off file sync from the Creative Cloud app preferences. I'd just caution you to make sure anything you delete locally has already been uploaded to the cloud b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Normally file sync maintains identical copies of your Creative Cloud Files folder, one locally on your computer and one online in your Creative Cloud file storage. It is possible to only have copies on the cloud, and delete the local copies, but that wasn't really the way it was intended to be used. To do that you would want to turn off file sync from the Creative Cloud app preferences. I'd just caution you to make sure anything you delete locally has already been uploaded to the cloud before deleting. You can work through a browser to upload and download files with file sync turned off. Adobe Creative Cloud

You can turn file sync off here

Cheers,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this no longer be done? I can't seem to find that screen with the new interface on the dekstop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can disable syncing here:

nadjas27338106_0-1627456758310.png

click on the cloud image next to fonts, notifications and your profile picture and pause file sync. i was too scared to try out the deletion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this can not be done already. If you pause your file sync, delete the local file, then you unable the sync again, the file in the cloud also deleted. I tried it, and it suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you pause your file sync, delete the local file, then you enable the sync again, the file in the cloud also deleted. Any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you pause your file sync, delete the local file, then you enable the sync again, the file in the cloud also deleted. Any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Adobe doesn't recommend using synced files as a backup solution. This post is somewhat outdated, the stop syncing feature has been changed to pause syncing. The behavior you describe is expected. Whenever sync is enabled, it attempts to make the files in the local Creative Cloud Files folder match what is online. The sync files feature is not a good option for backing up local files to the cloud in order to free up local HD space because of this. Sync may get unpaused accidentally and cause the online files to get accidentally deleted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to disable the folder completely? I don't want the folder in one of my computers because it's running out of storage space, but I still want to use it on other computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completley agree @rafaelo1996. This is beyong annoying that you simply can't "disable" this folder once synced!

How do I remove the folder, or some of the folders from my local computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sync is implemented incredibly bad. After I made this post in 2018, I disabled the sync and since the update "paused" it. Never turned it on again.

The CC is probably used by a lot of people running it on MacBooks with limited storage so the reasoning behind not being able to have the files downloaded only when needed is beyond my understanding. All other cloud providers seem to support this feature.

Adobe is just being extra (as usual)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@almdoodler 

actually, adobe's sync folder has a different purpose than other cloud storage implementations. adobe's is for file sharing, not space saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what it's intended for. If it is a posing an issue for users, which it clearly is, by taking up up to 200GB of storage on devices that sometimes might only even have 256GB oder 500GB of storage in total, the intentions of having it as a file sharing system defeat the purpose of it if users end up disabling it all together. I have 1TB of storage on my laptop but I still don't want to have about 200GB of that eaten up by data I might need once in a while

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it matters that you failed to understand its purpose. that failure caused your problem. 

in any case, you appear to be someone to who'll be happy to hear adobe's plans for the future:

for enterprise and teams, https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/eol-cc-synced-files-for-business-plans.html

for individual subscribers, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/eol-creative-cloud-synced-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that this reply was very constructive. I agree with the previous poster. If I want to collab on a project with someone remotely but I don't have adequate storage on my device to store the project, or my scratch discs are constantly full, then it really doesn't matter what the intended purpse of the cloud is. We are Adobe's customers, and the reason they are profitable, although they do have a long history of not implementing obvious solutions to huge issues, but we can still lobby for them to hear us and make their software more effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Smilocide22818569w2vf 

this is a user forums.  there may be better options to reach adobe.

for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lmaoo, leave it up to Adobe Community Experts to white knight Adobe and insult paying customers by telling them they're too dumb to understand the software they've been using (and paying for) for literal decades. I really don't care about the purpose if it keeps eating up my storage, slowing down my machine. You're coming off as incredibly ignorant and rude. Maybe you should reconsider the purpose of you being a "Community Expert"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@almdoodler 

i not say anyone is dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines