• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] How do I remove the 'Creative Cloud Files' folder from my PC?

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used Creative Cloud's storage, and probably never will. I have no files in the folder, and it is thus, irrelevant.

It appeared 2 days ago in file explorer, under /C:/users/ME... and it added a shortcut to itself in the favourites section in file explorer.

I deleted the favourite, and the folder, but the next day, when I turned on my laptop, both had appeared again.

Same thing again today.

Is there a way to permanently remove the folder, or at least stop the favourites shortcut from re-appearing?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Ben, please turn off the file sync and delete the folder.

Turn off sync:

1. Launch Creative cloud > Preference > Creative Cloud > Files.
  2. Turn off sync.

Delete the folder.

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Based on customer feedback Adobe engineering has created a registry entry which can be set to either show or hide this Creative Cloud Files shortcut and is unaffected by Creative Cloud app updates. Please see this article for more details: Remove Creative Cloud Files folder shortcut from the Navigation panel | Windows 

Some users reported that the linked registry file from the help article no longer worked on Windows 10. If you encounter this issue please also trying signing out and back into

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 159 Replies 159
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe actually injected a virus to our pcs a very persistent one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now, lets not escalate things into the wrong direction. Calling it a virus doesn't help solve the problem (However you might draw attention to the matter this way, which is a good thing I suppose).

What I would like to know is why an official Adobe staff member encourages us to stay away from editing registry files and makes the statement that the issue will be fixed in the "NEXT Adobe CC update", while said update clearly doesn't contain such a fix.

Surely you must agree that if Adobe doesn't come up with a fix and is giving false propositions for future updates, you leave consumers who don't like this feature no choice but to mess around with registry keys themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to sound so hot tempered but I ve got really annoyed by the fact that I cannot remove the folder on my system and I never asked for it to be there on the first place..

also I can confi rm also that I don't see any change log with newer version or any update over the app.

shall we expect an official guide from Adobe even through registry to remove it, or should we follow or our own risk the proposal of the forum member that seems to have find a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ludicrous, why would Microsoft make this a "feature" in Windows?

I'm having the same issue as Rick46137400, the unremovable link in the navigation panel.

Please Adobe, let us remove the stupid folder from the navigation panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the patient ones interested in removing these shortcuts without the hassle of registry editing, this website might offer a solution in the near future.

It's a free application that allows you to tweak or turn certain Windows features on or off. It's relatively simple to use, and the risk of breaking things seems very low.

It's sad that we, as Adobe's customers, have to find workarounds ourselves. I honestly think this shows a lack of understanding and involvement in the community from Adobe.

Also Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. having these shortcuts as well should not be an excuse, I blame them equally as much for forcing stuff down the customers throat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Lightroom update, and it's back yet again.  This is ridiculous.  I have actually stopped recommending Lightroom - and other adobe software to people because of this.

This fits every single definition of malware/virus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who thought this was a good idea and where do they live?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user SICK of Adobes Creative Cloud component.  I've removed it / disabled it from running but it keeps coming back.  I am now (after Lightroom just patched itself) again getting this in Explorer and the Adobe IPC process running which I've also previously disabled.  I do not want to use any of your online services thank you.

I don't have the CC component anywhere on my PC to run and so can not follow the official recommended steps to remove it given in this thread.

Adobe, it is simple this is UNWANTED software (Creative cloud).  I've not given you permission to install it. Stop installing it and hogging my PC up with your spamware.  Give users an option to install it or not.

wavestar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have managed to get rid of sidebar folder by moving it out of /Users/[username]/ folder and disabling sync. Just change the folder location in Creative Cloud settings:

Capture.PNG

The folder itself can't be deleted or hidden as far as I know so I just moved it to a location where it bothers me the least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you verify that it won't reappear after a reboot? I remember trying something similar myself, but after a reboot it would be there again.

Also, if you turn of sync, you'll not be able to sync libraries and Typekit fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done this on my laptop and workstation and the folder is gone from both even after several restarts. Can't quarantee it'll work for you tho, but changing the setting isn't going to damage your computer so why don't you try it yourself and let us know if it works!

This is on Windows 10 with all Windows and CC updates applied btw.

Edit: Haven't noticed problems with Typekit, but I don't use it much anyway. Will have to check that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do it, were it not for the fact that my colleagues and I will have to give up using shared assets from CC Libraries and Typekit in the process.

Oh man, I can't get over how ridiculous this ordeal really is. We only want to get rid of the damn folder shortcut, but apparently that is too much to ask for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, CC Libraries and TypeKit are not affected by Files Sync. If you looked at the settings, you'd notice that TypeKit is a separate option so it can be left on and Sync only seems to affect CC Files, not Libraries. I've turned both on (already had TypeKit on earlier) and folder is still gone from sidebar and TypeKit works fine, I don't use Libraries. But again, you could just try the settings yourself. It should take you about 5 seconds and you can always turn options back on if something doesn't work for you, you know. It's not like you can only set an option once in a lifetime...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well what do you know, changing the folder location to some obscure corner of my hard drive did the trick! And you seem to be right about CC Library and Typekit, they don't seem to be affected (yet). Now, let's hope it stays gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a little off-topic but you're probably having a similar, uninvited change to Explorer resulting in inconsistent sync icon overlay behavior after installing ACC.  If you don't know what a sync icon overlay is, it's a small icon tag that provides sync status; it overlays your file and folder icons in Windows.  For OneDrive it's a green check mark if your file has been synced.  These go away completely or are replaced by the "shared" icon.  Here's a summary of the fix I found on the MS site below (also requiring you to go into the registry).  Browse to the registry key referenced in the link below; I had four no name folders and 3-4 folders that start with "Acc" ahead of my OneDrive folders.  Once you browse to the tree mentioned in the post, export the registry section as a backup before making any changes.  I deleted the four blank folders entirely and removed the leading white space from the folders that start with "Acc."  Hit F5 and you'll see the OneDrive folders at the top of the list and the Acc folders drop down the the bottom.  Restart Explorer from Task Manager and you'll see your normal icon overlays return.  I would imagine this also works if you're using DropBox or something else.  The keys are evaluated in an alphabetical format so whichever syncing app you're using needs to be at the top.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odoptions-oddesktop/dropbox-removes-onedrive-green...

What's with the person typing in huge font?  Chill. Out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the annoying Creative Cloud Files "shortcut" in your File Explorer appeared as a result of some other non-CC Adobe product installation (like Lightroom 6, for example), then you can simply go to your "Programs & Features" and uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud. This will solve the issue for good.

Uninstalling Adobe Creative Cloud will not affect the main product functionality (Creative Cloud is an independent feature that can installed/uninstalled independently). This will also make the main product to revert to the classic Adobe Application Manager for delivering product updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F*ck adobe, just bought and installed CC. What is this crap? Remove this dirty hacked Finder icon injection.

Ask yourself … Why? The user should be in control. I DO NOT want to have a fixed map in my Finder, I even don't use the CC synch…

Triple facepalm for hacking the OS with a function that the user don't even want. I already regret my purchase…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to just be able to login within the app themselves, rather than have to use a central hub for updates - Microsoft manage it with Office 365 (You just use the programs as if you licensed them traditionally, but sign in with your O365 account). No need for the central app for every single user - I can see why it's useful for some, but I only use Acrobat DC, but I have to install the central management panel as part of Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still un-resolved after all this time??? Really Adobe??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple solution was presented above by Oskari Oksanen, just switch the file location of CC files from Users/your name to another folder.

It's not the perfect solution, but it's quick and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me with turning the Sync off, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggested solution doesn't work for me. I changed the Creative Cloud folder path, disabled sync and removed the folder from users/[name], but it's still in the Explorer's navigation pane (or whatever that is called in English) in all its ugly glory. If I look at the properties, it simply shows the new path.

Explorer01.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have there been any updates to Adobe CC itself to give people more options regarding the shortcut created on the sidebar yet?

I know there's workarounds, but they're not solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is still a problem... Any updates???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol this is absurd. Im willing to bet money that the reason this is forced is because not enough people are using their file hosting service, so they're shoving it in our faces.

Adobe, please, we beg you... listen to your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines