• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can I no longer sync CC to external drive?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - recently updated OS to Ventura and have lost the option to set default folder for CC sync to my external drive - see error message screenshot. Before the update sync was linked to external drive with no issues. Why has this changed and is there a way around it? 
Many thanks.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's usually caused by a problematic drive file system format.  use apfs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-case-sensitive-drives-supported.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. External format is ExFat and not case sensitive so not sure this would cause the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand, Apple wants to radically reduce users ability to use programs that allow Mac users to work with  NTFS-formatted external drives.  In my case, after installing Ventura, I suddenly experienced an inexplicable explosion of errors and slowdowns and crashes as a result of the inability of my computer to interact as usual with all of the data I keep on externals.  

It took many dozens of hours of investigations (Yes, I am an idiot) to figure out what exactly was going on.  Apparently all the externals I use are dual-formatted for both pc and mac, and have functioned just fine thanks to a program that came bundled with them called Paragon NTFS for Mac.  This progran was rendered non-functional by the OS upgrade, and so I can became unable to write to externals, and programs like Bridge suddenly became unable to read any of my external data.  The suggested work around proposed by Paragon, which supposedly has compatibility with Ventura, was to open the preferences panel and make a number of changes, including complete and tricky un-installation of existing Paragon program and installation of a new version.  Unfortunately if you've upgraded to ventura you will not be able to open the program at all or view the preferences panel.   Paragon customer support is useless and non-responsive.  Eventually I tried a regular uninstall and purchased a new NTFS-for-max program, this one by Tuxera.  Tuxera brags of being able to deal with Ventura, but upon installation I found a lot of problems.  It does allow me to write to externals, barely - saving one photo to an external drive can cause a hang of 2 to 3 minutes.  It does allow me to use Bridge, barely - opening a folder of images from a single photoshoot can take 3-5 minutes or more.  Not sure what the work arounds are for this.  It's simply not a viable way to live.  A mac tech advised me that iBoysoft NTFS for Mac might provide faster speeds.  

I've called Apple support but they advise me, more or less, that I have done all that is possible to do and that it is unfortunately working as Apple intended.  He suggested I purchase a lot of expensive new MAC only drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe that your that exFAT external would probably face this same problem, as the issues is Apple's unwillingness to support systems that are propietary to Microsoft. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines