• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get FBX model to display with textures?

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just bought a spaceship model from a website, download it, and then imported the .fbx file into dimension, but it just appears as an outline on the design screen. I've got all the textures but how do I have the model appear correctly in dimension with it's textures applied?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

You can try to dowload glTF file also. Another solutionis is to contact seller.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• A screenshot of the display you have would help
  • What file type are the textures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 screen shots attached. One of the .fbx model imported and the other is the files of the textures.

Are there any file formats where I can just load in the model into dimension and it has the textures already applied?

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 10.54.04.pngScreenshot 2019-11-27 at 10.54.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure but such an outline appears when the object is position under ground.

Also can you see materials in object folder when you expand it?

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say object folder do you mean the actual OS folder? if so, no there is just a .fbx file, or do you mean within Dimension? I've attached a screen shot of what happens when I click on the object itself. I also did the 'move to ground' thing which I think makes sure it's above ground.

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 14.06.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the images help a lot... thanks for posting them

ok the issue you have IS the textures and I have seen | reported this before. Dimension is a new software that doesn't know how to handle old file formates like Bmp or Tga, when you try to open a file that has textures it can't read them this 'clear' model is the result, also be aware that trying to save the Dn file will cause a crash which will make the Dn worthless

what to do now = convert the Tga files [correctly] to Png or Jpeg ... Jpeg is the easy option but it can't show transparency so is not good for decals, Png needs to actually be Png not just have the leters at the end of the file name

if you want [share the files] and I'll convert them with Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer, but I have photoshop. I converted the files, by loading the textures into photoshop, exported them as .png, replacing the original files, and the result is the same, see screen shot.

Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 11.07.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share fbx fail or download link to test. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fbx fail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to dowload glTF file also. Another solutionis is to contact seller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The glTF file worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines