• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe canceled my serial number, without cause, or proof. Has this happened to anyone else? [2014]

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I bought CS6 the Master Collection about 2.5 years ago. Today, it randomly stopped working. I contacted support, and they said my license had expired, and unless I could provide the original receipt they wouldn't show me my licensing agreement. So I have no software, and they won't prove that it was legal to cancel it.

I bought the full version, they claim it was a student version - which is just inaccurate. I should know. Has this happened to anyone else? I am potentially out of a job as a result, and to me, this is just plain theft.

I plan on escalating this to the ends of the earth. If there are enough of us, perhaps a class-action lawsuit is in order.

Thanks,

Sarah Ryan

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

OK, so...
Someone in CS dropped the ball in stating the number had been reactivated.  I was transferred to tech support and I have to say, the woman I spoke/worked with was outstanding.  Doing remote, she tried twice to install the software and kept getting the same popup.  After a few minutes, she came back with a new SN, did a third install and it worked. The SN is permanent, meaning if I have to reinstall, I should be able to use it with no issues. (fingers crossed!)  When PS opened, tit was a

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already found two other people I know who were treated the same way. Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem. Last week I started receiving a message that my "trial" version of CS6 was about to expire. I received the Master Collection from my college. They told us it was part of our tuition, and I have been using it for two years with no problem. They also told us the serial numbers should never expire.

I spent all Tuesday talking to Adobe employees via chat and got nowhere. After asking that my inquiry be escalated, I was told to expect a call from the senior support team to help resolve the issue. I never received a call.

Finally I called my school and was told that Adobe is deactivating all serial numbers for CS6. I spoke to a friend from school and she said she is also getting messages that her serial number is no longer valid.

I work from home and rely on Adobe software to get my work done. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks,

~Brittany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brittany

Please contact your school who will be able to assist you further.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Beverly,

I contacted my school and was told that Adobe was deactivating all serial numbers for CS6 users, and if I wanted to continue using Adobe products I will have to sign up for Creative Cloud. I am a freelance contractor and concerned about making monthly payments. I would like to continue using the software I currently own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brittany

Your school would be best to advise on your options.  I will also check with our Education team and let you know what they say.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brittany, I am in the exact same position, although we were told by our University that we had a one-time opportunity to buy the entire suite (the PRO version). Now Adobe customer "care" tells me it was a student version - which is just a lie. THey also have refused to show me any proof of my licensing agreement. I've spent three + hours talking to people in customer care and have gotten no where. They simply say "Sorry for your frustration." I had it installed for One year, Nine months, and Six days - yeah - so that's a random "expiration."

This is nothing more than theft. If I don't get a new serial number I'm going to court, without hesitation. I'd be happy to add anyone to that list. So far I know of 5 others who had this happen to them at random intervals.

-Sarah Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for letting me know. I'm very concerned. My professional work relies on Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixelbruin

We are aware of the expired serial number issue with certain universities and this is being resolved with these establishments.

However, as you explained that you are no longer in school I have escalated this to our serial number team for further advice.

I will get back to you when I have a reply from them.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bev. How long will this take? I can not work until I have my product functioning again, and this is costing me lots of precious time and money. I am very angry that your company stole my property and is making it insanely hard to rectify.

-Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much did you spend for the software?  The CS6 Master Collection currently costs $2600.  If you paid substantially less than this, then you likely purchased the student version.

Creative Suite 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine just expired too the same way! Got mine from the Academy of Art University. An employee named Seiminlen over chat said the following about it, I rely on this to work on freelance contracts!

Seiminlen: In this case, I would like to request you contact the Provider regarding the expired serial number.

Seiminlen: The serial number provided by the institutions has a validity and we cannot revive it again.

Seiminlen: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Hunter: Could you define 'has a validity'

Hunter: Is this not a lifetime access serial?? I did not get a limited license of this software.

Seiminlen: By "Validity" I meant, the serial number provided by school/institution has an expiry. They usually provide it for an academic period and once it is expired, you may contact them.

My ticket I opened:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6712539#6712539

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, the Academy of Art has done this to thousands of people. They have revoked ALL CS6 licenses and are forcing students (or in my case, an alumni who actually paid for the software using a discount program) to pay Adobe to move to cloud. I am going to the newspapers, the attorney general, and anyone else who will listen. I hope to organize a class-action lawsuit, because AAU has gone one step too far in their money mongering. It's theft in my case. But here's the deal, Adobe is making millions off of this deal with AAU, and I have absolutely no doubt that AAU gets a cut in there also.

Who loses? Us - Alumni and students. We not only lose our ability to work and provide for ourselves, but the reputation of our educator tanks even further, making our resumes look like h.e.double-hockey-sticks.

Stay tuned. I'm not rolling over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah there is absolutely no chance the key I received originally had an expiration. Class action lawsuit could very much be in the works. I don't want this creative cloud i just want my CS6 Master Collection thank you.[<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad | https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe already agreed with me - in writing - about that point. They said my license has no mention of expiration but AAU invalidated it.  I've written to every department at AAU and the department student reps / department heads. I will be more than happy to organize such a suit, and heck, I'll make a website about it so people can join us. I am so, utterly, serious.  Guess what, Adobe is JUST AS RESPONSIBLE as AAU. Both are in breech of contractual obligation, and guilty of bait-and-switch, as well as coercion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixelbruin

I've replied to your personal message and will continue to follow up with you.

Thanks

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beverly, It has been 5 days since you last replied to me. Here is what I just wrote to the catch-all email for customer service:

This situation affects thousands of people, not just me. You have illegally canceled our ownership of CS6. I have a list of over 50 names who will be joining me in a class-action lawsuit. I meet with lawyers on Thursday of this week, and our numbers will only grow once I start publicizing our efforts.

Two members of your staff have told me that my user agreement makes no mention of any possible "expiration" (I have that in writing), and my university has written to me also, saying it should never have expired and was promised for life.

This is a disgusting way of drumming up more business for Cloud. A cloud no one wants.

You're kicking students while they are down, and stealing from debt riddled grads. You should be ashamed.

I know three people who have to put off graduation because of you! They can't finish their thesis projects without CS6. Is that reasonable? They will now have more debt and be forced to push back a job search because of you, not to mention the stress you will put them under.

Your actions are deplorable and will not be tolerated. Your reaction towards fixing this is painfully slow.

- Sarah Ryan

There has been no movement forward for any of these innocent students and almun.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah

Our Education teams are working with the University on this, so our advice to students is to contact the University for further assistance.

I will also send you a forum private message to discuss the software you purchased from the Apple Store.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bev, our university tells us that Adobe is at fault here and to contact you. Since you are the only organization who can issue new working serial numbers to restore our stolen property, it makes no sense to contact my school again.

When will you take responsibility? It is insulting to tell me and thousands like me to look for answers somewhere else, when Adobe was the aggressor here and the party who took my property away, and broke my licensing agreement.

So, no, I will not contact my school. I am talking to you.

- Sarahf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyday I add 10 people to my list of those affected. How much money is Adobe willing to spend on customer service? How much aggregation are you willing to put people through? I am speaking with news organizations this week, and meeting with council, on behalf of us all. I am outraged that anyone could treat lower income supporters of Adobe like this, all to line your pockets. I can not fathom what you are "working on" over there. Everyday the stress mounts for my peers, while you fail to provide direct information. Passing us off to our University only frees your chat lines and lessens your costs, it is insulting, at best to suggest that to he my only course of action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah

The University is the correct point of contact for students in this situation. 

Regarding the separate issue with the software you purchased via the Apple Store, I will be able to advise further on this when you get the invoice from the reseller.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bev,

Turns out I bought a previous version and my 6 license did come from AAU. If AAU tells us to contact Adobe, and Adobe tells us to contact AAU, it becomes clear you are not working together but rather blaming each other.

When will we have our stolen property returned? If the answer is never, please let me know so I can expedite my legal action.

I will not waste my time contacting AAU again since they do not make this product and can not issue a new serial number. You insult me again in suggesting this as a reasonable action.

What is the time frame here for resolution? We know your company already admitted fault, so what's the issue? What is there to look into? This is preposterous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah

Thanks for confirming the details about your purchase.

I can assure you that Adobe is working closely with AAU and I'm sorry that you feel you're being passed from pillar to post.  The university is the correct point of contact as any serial numbers they are entitled to as part of their agreement are supplied directly to the institution to distribute to their students.

I don't know the timescale for the resolution but have asked the account manager if they can share any updates.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bev, I know you are being directed to tell us to seek help with our University, but let's just face the facts here, and assume you are dealing with intellectual people who can identify common objects. Does AAU make Adobe products? No. Does AAU issue serial numbers? No. Did AAU cancel the serial numbers randomly? No (according to them, they were "shocked"). Can AAU issue new serial numbers? No. Does AAU have any information that will help me and others like me? No.

Now, the only reason you would like us to contact our schools, is to save Adobe even more money which they are spending on customer service. So, kindly, stop repeating this direction, because it's insulting at this point.

What have you done today to fix this? It's been two weeks since my software was stolen, and we have gotten no where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarah, the reason you need to contact the school is because they are the ones who can validate alumni status and dates of graduation that are relevant to the solution they have been provided with.

Our Education teams have been working with the school since the issue was highlighted and they are close to finalising the terms of the agreement.  The school has been asked not to refer people to Adobe customer service as we are not issuing the serial numbers.

I'm here to provide the correct direction and am sorry if you find this insulting.

KInd regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines