Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FATAL: Error (Code = 146)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends,

I try to install Photoshop using the cc app but keep getting this error message for weeks now! Can someone please give me a solution

Exit Code: 146

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 146) executing in command 'MoveDirectoryCommand' for package: 'AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64', version:17.0.0.88

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64 Version: 17.0.0.88). Error code: '146'

WARN: Failed to move directory 'C:\adobeTemp\ETR5515.tmp\1\Application' to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5'

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Lydiak83121963 were you receiving this error or a different error for the past week?  We just released Photoshop CC 2015.5 today.

The error above indicates that the installer is unable to write to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5.  I would recommend temporarily disabling any anti-virus or security software which may be preventing the installer from moving files from the temporary directory to this location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I have exactly the same issue as wdoertell, we symlink our C:\Users-folder to D:\ for disk-space and management reasons. This is clearly an error in the adobe installer, as wdoertell said, the installer does not need to know or care that a specific directory is symlinked, it's all being handled by the OS. So the installer is doing something funky when it tries to move files from the temp-directory to the user appdata folder. (And btw, why does the installer create a "C:\adobeTemp" folder? Why not use the existing temp-folders provided by the OS. Why reinvent the wheel?)

There is an sort of easy way to bypass this: open the Registry Editor (regedit) and go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders". Double click on "AppData" and change the path there to the real path of the appdata roaming folder. In my case I changed it from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" to "D:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming". Note: if your username differs from your profile directory name, then this wouldn't work, in that case you will have to use your profile directory name in the AppData registry value. You can see your real user name and user profile directory name by opening a cmd-shell (type cmd in Windows search field) and type: set user . Using a variable is useful if you need to do the change for many users. I'm going to need this for my students ...

You need to do the same change for "Local AppData" (for me, I changed it from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local" to "D:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local")

One more, similar fix as above, in regedit go to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders". Change the path for "Common Documents" to the real path of your public\documents folder (again, in my case from "%PUBLIC%\Documents" to "D:\Users\Public\Documents").

Hopefully this registry changes should fix future updates from Adobe, but they shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same error message this morning and confirm the problem comes from my anti-virus. I run Kaspersky Total Security 16.0.0.614(g) fully updated on Windows 10 x64 Build 10586.

It should be added that it is common for the installation of an update of either Photoshop or Lighroom to cause trouble. Most of the times, this is because I start the update as standard user. This is the first time I notice anti-virus interference,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was configuring Creative Cloud to use D:\Program Files\Adobe as the installation target rather than using the Adobe junction in C:\Program Files\ that points to it. Creative Cloud simply wanted no part of installing 2015.5 into the junction, despite the fact that I have been running both Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC from those locations for months.  Quite the annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this same issue for every single update of the updates released today.

Exit Code: 146

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 146) executing in command 'MoveDirectoryCommand' for package: 'AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64', version:17.0.0.88

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobePhotoshop17-Core_x64 Version: 17.0.0.88). Error code: '146'

WARN: Failed to move directory 'C:\adobeTemp\ETRCDF0.tmp\1\Preference Settings' to 'C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 Settings'

Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, etc etc all throwing the same error code on install and I have no running AV or program that would be interfering with file copies or moves. In addition, even ran the Adobe Cloud client as Administrator and the error persists. When I go to the "adobeTemp" folder, nothing is there.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 and all the latest patches and hotfixes from Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the 146 error updating Photoshop and Media Encoder. All other updates worked. Turned off Avast AV per Adobe suggestion and PS and ME updated successfully. Thank you and good luck everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to clarify again, I am NOT running any AV or Malware solution that would be interfering with file copies or moves.

As with wdoertell​, my C:\Users directory is mapped to another drive with a hardlink junction in NTFS to D:\Users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only see this as an installer issue, not a workstation issue. The old 2015 versions installed without any hassle or problem. If its permissions, the permissions for those areas are unchanged from when I ran the old installations so not sure why now it would be a problem. Running as "Administrator" though should have solved it if it were that since Admin typically has end-all be-all permissions on the machine.

The failure seems to happen in the last stages of installation (75%) as when any successful installation hits 80% it starts removing the old version so its definitely something in the post install section.

Meh....release day consumer UAT I suppose...(FIX IT IN PRODUCTION!)

Anyhow...

Workaround for me (albeit a slightly ghetto solution) to get the installs to work finally was creating the following folders manually and re-running the installation. Once I did this, each of the installs completed without issue and the apps fired up without issue as well. Your experience may vary of course. If I cared more and this hadn't worked, I'd have done a close monitor of the install behavior to try and pinpoint the actual hangup but this sufficed and Adobe doesn't pay me to debug their software.

If it weren't obvious by now, yes I work in IT. One might ask why I didn't do all this initially before posting here, simply answered, I try not to do work when I'm at home and I pay Adobe for this stuff to "just work" as most users would say.

If this solution does work for you, please save your thanks, just send money 😃

Folders in bold were new.

<usersdirectory> = The location of your "Users" folder, usually C:\Users, for some of us though, elsewhere.

<username> = Your Windows username folder.

Photoshop 2015.5

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5
              • Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 Settings

Illustrator 2015.3

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • Adobe Illustrator
            • Adobe Illustrator 20 Settings

Premiere Pro 2015.3

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • Premiere Pro

After Effects 2015.3

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • After Effects
                • Cache
                • DVADialogPrefs
                • MediaIO
                • ModifiedWorkspaces
                • OriginalUserWorkspaces
                • Presets
            • Character Animator
              • Preview 4

Prelude 2015.4

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • Prelude

Muse 2015.2

• <usersdirectory>
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • com.adobe.AdobeMuseCC.2015.2
          • Adobe
            • Adobe Muse CC

Audition 2015.2

• <usersdirectory>
    • Public
      • Documents
        • AdobeInstalledCodecs (If installing Media Encoder first, this dir gets removed after a successful install and needs to be re-created to complete Audition installation)
    • <username>
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • GPUSniffer
            • Audition
                • EffectPresets
                • MediaIO
                • Workspace

Animate 2015.2

• <usersdirectory>
    • AppData
      • Local
        • Adobe
          • Animate CC 2015.2
      • Roaming
        • Adobe
          • Animate

Media Encoder 2015.3

• <usersdirectory>
    • Public
      • Documents
        • AdobeInstalledCodecs (If installing Audition, this dir gets removed after a successful install and needs to be re-created to complete Audition installation)
    • <username>
      • Documents
        • Adobe
          • Adobe Media Encoder
              • ArchivedWorkspaces
              • SavedWorkspaces
              • SyncBackup
              • logs
      • AppData
        • Roaming
          • Adobe
            • Adobe Media Encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonjour j ai reglé le probleme en installant sur un autre disque dur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me, Adobe will send you the money;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update Tazinator.  Are there any type of restrictions implemented on the system which is preventing the initial creation of the directories in your post?  This could include either Group Policy or security software restrictions.  Any details would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing special running on my machine nor any customized policies. I only have a junction map for the C:\Users to D:\Users.

I don't even have any AV software or Anti-Malware software running on the machine (gasp!) so nothing should be interfering with the file copies, renames or moves.

Problem is this issue is inconsistent and only manifested itself with the application installs I listed. Other updates released yesterday for some apps worked fine. InDesign CC for example updated just fine without any issues.

In addition to that, previous installs and updates never had any trouble and nothing on the system has been changed since then to make anything more restrictive. In fact the junction was in place back then as well, I set that up when I last wiped the machine about a year ago. This is the first time since CC first came out (installers were buggy as hell back then as well) that I've had a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'have the same configuration : Win7SP1 with a junction for C:\Users to D:\Users ; C drive is 256GB SSD and D drive a 1TB HD.

The installer fail with Exit Code: 146 even when MS Security Essential is disabled.

All the previous update where fine (from PS CC 2014 up to last update) with the same PC / configuration and I never had disabled MS Security Essential.

I'm also guessing an extra-windows use of the file system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too tried manually creating the directories in question, which still didn't work. Maybe I'll give it another shot. It could be I misspelled something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tazinator I could kiss you,  that fixed my issues as well,  I manually created the folders and the install completed.   Mwah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, unable to update Photoshop CC

created these 2 files

worked like magic...

many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 folders, not files

sorry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked like a charm, thank you so much for all of your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for the updates to this discussion on Error Code 146.  For additional details on how to resolve this error please see Resolve Error Code 146 encountered while installing Creative Cloud desktop apps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting this error as well. Pausing Kaspersky and then running the update allowed it to finally go through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me, do it:

• Choose Start > File Explorer > This PC.
  • Navigate to the parent folder. For example, Windows (C:) > Program Files > Common Files > Adobe.
  • Right-click the folder, and then choose Properties.
  • In the Attributes section, deselect Read-only and click Apply.
  • Click the Security tab.
  • Under Group or user names, click System and make sure that Full control is selected in the Permissions section. If it is not selected, do the following:
    1. Click Edit.
    2. In the Permissions dialog box that opens, click System.
    3. Under Permissions for System, click the check box in the Allow column next to Full control.
    4. Click Apply, and then OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unchecking "read only" for my \appdata\roaming\adobe and \program files\adobe directories fixed this problem for me. I got errors updating Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, and Media Encoder and simply making sure those two directories were writeable solved the problem. I did check my permissions and everything looked ok. My login account and System already had full access to both directories, so that was not an issue for me. It was simply that some directories buried in there somewhere were set read only. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: FATAL: Error (Code = 146)

Jabes Gileade

• Navigate to the parent folder. For example, Windows (C:) > Program Files > Common Files > Adobe.
  • Under Group or user names, click System and make sure that Full control is selected in the Permissions section. If it is not selected, do the following:
    1. Click Edit.
    3. Under Permissions for System, click the check box in the Allow column next to Full control.

Extracted from: Error exit code 6, exit code 7 installing Adobe Creative Cloud

I followed these instructions to the letter and it solved my problem. Thanks

P.s. Also, prior to doing this, I did a disk check through Windows 10. It reported that there were errors and it repaired them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about those with Macs. I have the error trying to instal Media Encorder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normaf96430555 did you try the steps listed in Resolve Error Code 146 or 147 encountered while installing Adobe Creative Cloud desktop apps.  to resolve the error?  What version of the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hkenshin89 wrote:

Re: FATAL: Error (Code = 146)

Jabes Gileade

1. Click Edit.

Extracted from: Error exit code 6, exit code 7 installing Adobe Creative Cloud

I followed these instructions to the letter and it solved my problem. Thanks

P.s. Also, prior to doing this, I did a disk check through Windows 10. It reported that there were errors and it repaired them.

This seemed to be the problem for me, but even when I applied it to all folders the premiere 2015.3 still had problems and I had to apply the settings. I ended up having to reboot and then it finally worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines