• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Compatible With MacBook Pro M1 Max?

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a stand alone licence of Lightroom 5 that I never used on CD. I now have the new 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max and would like to know if it's compatible? I do have an external CD/DVD reader/writer for my MacBook. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

TOPICS
Activation , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, only NEW programs run on the m1 chip

But, Apple MAY have some sort of compatibility mode, so put the disc in the drive and find out for yourself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciate it. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would like to know if it's compatible?

No.! Lr6 uses a 32bit installer.  New Mac systems will only use 64bit Apps.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciate the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @Rob_Cullen said. Lightroom 5 will definitely not install on the M1. You'd have to dual boot with Lightroom 5 installed on an external drive running a compatible operating system such as macOS Mojave.

To use Lightroom Classic on your M1 you'll have to subscribe to one of the Photography Plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot run Mojave on an M1 processor. You'll have to forget LR5 and get a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to @David27251861c49u in this discussion, and mentioned elsewhere in other discussions, LR5 will install on an M1 Mac and run OK under Rosetta 2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not true. I was able to install Lightroom 5 off CD on my Macbook Air M1 and it runs perfectly. Do NOT pay for an Adobe subscription!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting @David27251861c49u . First I've heard of this.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/changing-computers-install-lr5-on-m1-ma...

It has always been understood that it is not possible. Does LR5 run OK on your M1 Mac under Rosetta2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David27251861c49u  wrote- "I was able to install Lightroom 5 off CD on my Macbook Air M1 and it runs perfectly."

My first post in this thread was for Lightroom v6.

FYI More forum threads about Lr5 in Mac Monterey OS-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/monterey-and-lightroom-5/m-p/13149976#M...

See the posts from @TheDigitalDog and @JohanElzenga 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rob_Cullen 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The better question is why?  Why cling to outdated software that can't support newer cameras, operating systems, filters, presets and other advanced features when you don't have to? 

LR Classic on a Photography Plan costs only $10/month for 12 months.

Creative Cloud Photography Plan includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
  • Free upgrades for paid subscribers

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because some of us are tired of being sucked dry by every single subscription service. 

I for one don't need to use Lightroom more than a handful of times a year and don't care about new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephanie273974714tac 

then use what you want.  no one here is stopping you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apparently won't be able to if I upgrade my MBP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the tradeoff. If you want to use a newer computer, you have to upgrade the software on it. You can also use an alternate app, there are many free or perpetual license ones out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephanie273974714tac 

that's because of apple's decision to not support older software whether that's software from adobe, microsoft and everyone else (including apple).

that's contrasted with microsoft's decision to support older software by way of its compatibility mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's a trade-off as well. Adding complexity and supporting older software is not always a great idea; you are just holding the platform back and increasing the chance of bugs and security holes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, because it works fine for many of us, because we paid for the perpetual license and don't want to pay $10 every month. What may seem small amount to you, may not be small for everyone. I use LR may be a couple of times a month and don't want to spend that much.

Sure new versions are much better with lots of improvements and always up-to-date but all that comes with a price tag and one size doesn't fit all. This model works for you, may be works for all the people you know, doesn't mean it works for everyone. There are many like me who would have bought newer release perpetual license but can't.

Come out of your shell to look around and you'll get answer to your "better question".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rob25985951dbhe 

If legacy apps worked so well for modern Mac users, they wouldn't be posting questions here -- would they?  And that is the topic.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines