• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it necessary to have the desktop app in order y programs?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the creative cloud for years, and I have the same issues as when I first started using.  Mainly that whenever it needs an update it will not complete, giving me an error message, and then I have to uninstall, restart computer, and then reinstall it.  My question is do I actually need the desktop app in order to use my programs?  Can I use it thro9ugh the site?  It is a pain to have this issue every time there is an update for the desktop app.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't need (and you don't need to update) the cc desktop app to use the adobe programs.  ie, the programs can be installed (and updated) without the cc desktop app.

however, you won't receive notifications or updates automatically without the cc desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you won't be able to do much without CC Desktop App since it  facilitates downloading and updating your desktop apps but it helps you manage CC storage, syncing, libraries, Adobe Fonts, and other online services.  I think it would be foolish to have a subscription and not have access to all of its features.

Turn off automatic updates. You rarely need them all.  Update manually when you're ready to.  I think a better tactic would be to find out why your computer isn't playing nice with Creative Cloud.  

File access (permissions problems) is the leading cause of failures.  And that could be caused by 3rd party apps like Firewall or Anti-virus, among others.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/download-update-errors.html

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did turn off automatic updates, but every once in a while it will say that there was a problem and needs to repair, which it will through an uninstall and reinstallation.  When it gets to about 25% it will say there is an error code 50, something about it not being able to create a file because it is already in use.  I have looked at the logs but cant seem to find where the error leads.  I then used the cleaner tool and have to restart and then it installs again, but the same issue occurrs.  I am looking for some advice about this, but tech support doesn;t offer much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what says there was a problem and needs repair?  the cc desktop app?

if the cc desktop app needs repairs, there's something on your computer (eg, av, antimalware, cleaner, defragger etc) that's corrupting one or more cc app files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if i can't find the files that are corrupted ( if any) then I can't see what is the issue.  That is something that tech support is supposed to help me find, but that was not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

are you checking the acc.log file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines