• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to install Photoshop CC without having the creative cloud application installed?

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe and got an email sent to me with a link to Photoshop. However when I try to install the Photoshop application, I get the following error:

"Adobe Creative Cloud, needed to resolve this problem, is missing or damaged"

So is it possible to install Photoshop without having creative cloud application installed?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

The Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application is installed upon the first installation of Photoshop or any other desktop app. One of its many functions is managing the licensing process for Adobe memberships.

As WobertC mentioned the Creative Cloud desktop app does not take up much space on the drive. If you are finding that the background processes are using an excessive amount of system resources, and you have an individual membership, then please begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is.

but you should try repairing your cc app first:

first try, resetting the cc app: To reset the Creative Cloud desktop app, make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall/reinstall per the above link

if that fails or you just want to skip the reinstall, using a browser that allows popups and cookies, contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

click contact us (in the lower right)
in the chat field, type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human and ask for a download link to ps 2021

p.s. if you want ps 2020 you can get that via prodesigntools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kglad,

Thank you for repying. You indicated "Yes it is".

Please verify as I have my doubts. Please remove Creative Cloud using Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool, then try installing the following file:

AdobePhotoshop22-mul.dmg

Are you able to install Photoshop without Creative Cloud app installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing Photoshop CC 22.0.0 again and this time it installed, however it installed Creative Cloud application. I don't want to use Creative Cloud. It appears there's no way to install Photoshop without Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like my best option is to just use Creative Cloud using Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool after installing Photoshop. That way I can easily remove the Creative Cloud using Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need the Creative Cloud App to update Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will also need the Creative Cloud App to verify your subscription and Activate Photoshop. Without the Desktop App and being 'Signed In' Photoshop will eventually stop working!

Activation & deactivation help

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only using my dinosaur laptop for a few features that my Chromebook doesn't support in a design app. I literally have NO speed on this antique, and I don't want to download the entire huge Creative Cloud file. I ONLY need Photoshop and Illustrator, which will take up plenty of space as it is. I have subscribed to the monthly option, and need to know HOW to download just the 2 programs (out of the dozens offered on Creative Cloud that I DON'T need) so I can finish working on my projects. It is absolutely ridiculous to think that one can ONLY use select programs if they 1st download the motherload file of Creative Cloud... so I'm hopeful this isn't the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You MUST have the Adove Creative Cloud DESKTOP APP installed and running. It is the only way to install and keep any of your Adobe programs 'Activated' by being 'Signed In'.

Using this App you only need to install the programs YOU want by simply clicking on the [Install] button.  You do NOT need to install all progams!

ScreenShot308.jpg

You can close the Desktop App down and it only occupies a tiny portion of resident Background Processes.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a different opinion.  you can download the app installers without the cc app.  How to Get New Adobe Creative Cloud 2021 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

if you contact support, use a browser that allows popups and cookies and contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

click contact us (in the lower right)
in the chat field, type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @kglad for the update.

I have always been under the impression that the Desktop App is essential to 'Activate' Adobe software. Does a 'Sign In' from a Help menu achieve the same. Or am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are correct (imo).  but other experts have posted here different opinions.

why don't you contact support, install ps and test.  then come back and tell us who was correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC Desktop app program is not a huge download and the Apps downloads are the same whetehr you use the CC DTA of some type of Direct Download.

So I have no idea what you are talking about.

Downloading and installing the CC Desktop does not download all of the Adobe applications that are included and can be installed with your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have created confusion in this thread!

The OP asked-

"So is it possible to install Photoshop without having creative cloud application installed?"

@kglad replied-

"you can download the app installers without the cc app."

In my replies I then asked-

"is the Desktop App essential to 'Activate' Adobe software.?"

I am not sure I have an answer, and not about to uninstall my Desktop App to find out.

It would seem the OP answered this question with the statement-

"Adobe Creative Cloud, needed to resolve this problem, is missing or damaged"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application is installed upon the first installation of Photoshop or any other desktop app. One of its many functions is managing the licensing process for Adobe memberships.

As WobertC mentioned the Creative Cloud desktop app does not take up much space on the drive. If you are finding that the background processes are using an excessive amount of system resources, and you have an individual membership, then please begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

For more information on the installation process see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html.  For additional details regarding the background processes see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy pasted from above post: 

As WobertC mentioned the Creative Cloud desktop app does not take up much space on the drive. If you are finding that the background processes are using an excessive amount of system resources, and you have an individual membership, then please begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

^  This and traveling or living away from decent, afordable wif-fi, is all that anyone cares about.  The constant dancing around this obvious fact, (performed by Adobe and various Adobe help), is the source of so much frustration and bottled up stress at being forced to conform or jump through many annoying hoops to avoid the bloat.

This not intended as a callous off handed comment but genuine feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obvious: with this heap of CC crap it's a way better spying on what you're doing. Having a look at my poor little mac pro 2015 and its 128 SSD drive makes me raging. Not because i'm an idiot not bought(i won't argue, i don't care what you think) a 1TB drive before, but because pshop devours my ssd space and processor cycles for crap i never ever no wanted. Having a look at amount of space wasted for this crap makes me rage again. If someone says that for my convinience/licensce validation i'll spit right in his face. Next step for adobe is to deliver software via browser: 1) download 10TB pshop app to local browser cache 2) open chrome tab with pshop app in it 3) edit your file and save it 3) clean cache & restart. U! Usablitity. Nevetheless, we've got a CLOUD! Look, how cool we are!..

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  It appears there's no way to install Photoshop without Creative Cloud.

Yes, it is. This is normal behaviour for the last versions of Photoshop and many others Adobe applications. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't listen to Jeff,...to say it doesn't take up much space, well, that is laughable. How about giving us your computer info Jeff and what you use your computer for...what your need of photoshop even is today outside of a job?  Photoshop installs more than just creative cloud which runs in the background without pause. Jeff, explain the function of the uxp plugins that run in the background? Go try GIMP...the learning curve may take you a few days, but it is free and very capable for my needs. I race in a competitive sim racing league and am always aware of whats running on my PC. PHOTOSHOP EATS UP A TON!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements to run Creative Cloud + OS + all other apps you intend to use. Check each one, they vary by product title.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Creative Cloud storage is NOT a replacement for primary hard drive space.  It's for collaborating and syncing files with other devices.

For best user experience,  you should have a good stable Internet connection and a fast modern computer with sufficient resources to support pro-level tools.

[Discussion locked by moderator.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines