• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Engaged ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

squarepixelllc wrote:
If you are really updating with every other new version the cost is close to the same.

The only way it's not cheaper is if you wait 3 versions, then just buy cs6. You still have that option!

Adobe removed the option top upgrade from CS4 to CS6. Let alone earlier versions. You could not even skip a single version anymore even if you wanted to. Is that fair? Should we 'trust' a company who just does something like that? How is that not forcing us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How dare Adobe run there company to make money without asking you!

Go use the alternative problem solved. See how far you get with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably suffer from "Consumers Masochism".

Besides that cap on your avatar do you also dress in leather pants!?

The only cure I know of is 48 months description of creative cloud.

And then come back for a other test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But to fault a company for wanting to make it financially feasible for them to make a profit that's just silly.

You present this as an either-or situation. But they offered both choices before and still pulled in over $ 1,000,000,000 in profit last year.

If you're happy with current situation (cost structure, loss of use of the software when you leave 'the cloud', etc.) then that's fine for you. But many are unhappy that their choice was removed (and the ramifications for the future).

> If you cant afford 50 bucks a month...

Cost is only one aspect. It's also about loss of control.

But, as far as cost goes, could you afford $50.00 a month for toothpaste? You and I probably could, but we wouldn't necessarily think it prudent to do so. (Let's see $50.00 a month times maybe 80 years....)

If you're in a business where you can pass the cost on to your customers, maybe you don't care so much about value. But not everyone has that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Squarepixelllc I'm still waiting for you to explain on what math CC is cheaper than the old system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How dare Adobe run there company to make money without asking you!

>

They clearly are trying to do what's best for them, at the expense of many customers. Some customers will be fine with that, and some won't.

They could count on 12 million customers paying $ 'X' for their product (as in the past). At the other extreme, they could hope that 1 (extremely unlikely)  guy will pay them 12,000,000 x $ 'X'.

The question is what will their customers actually put up with. Their latest move is clearly much more in their long-term advantage than their customers.

> Go use the alternative problem solved. See how far you get with that.

Which is what Adobe is counting on. They believe that they can use their market position to force people to go along...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BITESBITER, I had never heard of the term 'Consumer Masochism' before. It's an interesting topic and very relevant indeed.

squarepixelllc, I didn't start out in graphics design with Adobe software so I'm already using 'alternative tools'. Adobe products have never been my main tools. but they are very useful to have in my arsenal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You all should read Thom Hogan's very interesting May 21 analysis of the financials of this change as indicated by Adobe ( http://www.bythom.com (sorry his site is ancient and you can't direct link to articles) ). The numbers make it fairly clear that Adobe fully expects to lose loads of customers over this change - Millions of them in fact. And they expect this contraction to last for a long time. This means that any of our pleas are very likely to fall on deaf ears as we're not telling them anything they don't already know and fully expect. They clearly believe this move is setting them up for the long term future and that there will be considerable pain in the short term. If you stare at clouds long enough I guess....

If I were writing books and offering training on Adobe CS software and were dependent on that for my income I would be really worried by this move as those millions of lost customers are likely the bunch that needs that sort of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

squarepixelllc wrote:

-  But if you are making a living in this very technical field and not updating every year or so then you are not really working much in the field.

-  in this industry things change fast and we need access to software that is frequently updated, and to have new options.

-  someone who uses the tools and wants, loves, needs those updates and buys the master suite every year

-  There have been some pretty significant updates recently. And from watching Adobe Max some more large ones to come.

-  Any real ... professional .... do constantly update there tools to stay competitive and to make there job easier.

-  I make my living with these tools, and I welcome the updates.

-  I update every version

-  Go use the alternative ... See how far you get with that.

I mean no disrespect, but I'm sorry these are all such ill-informed and ignorant comments. You probably do fall in-line as part of Adobe's exact target market. Willingly jumping at every new upgrade and marketing push with the notion that if you don't have the latest XYZ feature or version that you're somehow falling behind and not an industry leader or able to continue to provide cutting edge results to your customers. Even based on your own portfolio you could be doing the same work with PhotoShop 6, Illustrator 6, Quark 4, InDesign 2, Premiere 5, After effects 5, etc. (some versions #'s might even be way too generous), and a basic text editor for all your HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, frameworks, libraries, etc. I don't see anything that requires some mythical cutting edge features regardless if you want or feel a need to have and pay for them or not.

squarepixelllc wrote:

Remember, winning an argument online is like winning a race in the the special Olympics.

To make such a reference at the expense of handicapped individuals exemplifies your ignorant approach and understanding both of this thread and the world around you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL, I think your post is really enlightenging. If they do really expect to lose millions of users then this thread any others complaining about it are kind of useless. Thanks for a good read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

You all should read Thom Hogan's very interesting May 21 analysis of the financials of this change as indicated by Adobe ( http://www.bythom.com (sorry his site is ancient and you can't direct link to articles) ). The numbers make it fairly clear that Adobe fully expects to lose loads of customers over this change - Millions of them in fact. And they expect this contraction to last for a long time. This means that any of our pleas are very likely to fall on deaf ears as we're not telling them anything they don't already know and fully expect. They clearly believe this move is setting them up for the long term future and that there will be considerable pain in the short term. If you stare at clouds long enough I guess....

If I were writing books and offering training on Adobe CS software and were dependent on that for my income I would be really worried by this move as those millions of lost customers are likely the bunch that needs that sort of thing.

That's a good article. Adobe is assuming customers will come back. They are under-estimating their customers -something a company should never do.  No one is coming back. I always recommended Adobe software to colleagues and when I spoke in schools and students asked which software is best. No more. Adobe has a major problem not only in the short term but also long term. 

The term "Cloud" now represents a negative image to many Adobe users. No putting your head in the sand waiting for a long term miracle will alter that.

As long as Adobe insists on Subscriptions, they will earn $0.00 from many previously loyal customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

The numbers make it fairly clear that Adobe fully expects to lose loads of customers over this change - Millions of them in fact. And they expect this contraction to last for a long time.

rosequill wrote:

If they do really expect to lose millions of users then this thread any others complaining about it are kind of useless.

Maybe Adobe used Amazon as their model of failure?

"Amazon's Cloud Crash Disaster Permanently Destroyed Many Customers' Data"

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-lost-data-2011-4

I think Adobe is sorely mistaken if they think they can successfully weather the same course as Amazon. Adobe has impassioned much of it's user base against them by Adobe's ignorance on their choices and utter silence to the reaction and concerns of customers. I like the Coke example [Jongware] posted, I think that is more representative of the Adobe situation:

"Coca-Cola Company took arguably the biggest risk in consumer goods history, announcing that it was changing..."

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-new-coke

In a few years Adobe maybe right along side Coke in the business text books being used to teach business, management, etc.

[Jongware] wrote:

After reading this, it didn't take them too long to remove my great new avatar ... At least *some* Adobe employees are paying attention to what's going on here. Pity it's about the wrong things.

It was a great avatar even with it's short lifespan. Classic for the win.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

You all should read Thom Hogan's very interesting May 21 analysis of the financials of this change as indicated by Adobe ( http://www.bythom.com (sorry his site is ancient and you can't direct link to articles) ). The numbers make it fairly clear that Adobe fully expects to lose loads of customers over this change - Millions of them in fact. And they expect this contraction to last for a long time. This means that any of our pleas are very likely to fall on deaf ears as we're not telling them anything they don't already know and fully expect.

There is a huge assumption here ... that Creative Cloud will continue to grow appreciably in the long term ie, Adobe will lose loyal customers, but gain new ones over the coming years. It makes me think that despite all their research, there is a bit of a leap of faith in their decision to go CC only right now, rather than waiting for the numbers to stabilise. It's only been one year, and I expect a large number of subscribers were lured by the all-you-can-eat business model, without considering the implications of what they will experience when they have to end their subscription.

The indication of this has been in the discussions themselves. I think the price argument is distracting, because people will only buy what they can afford. I've seen very little discussion by the champions of CC about the impacts of ending your subscription ... it's all roses while you can pay, but when you can't seems to be a trivial matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauls Sloss wrote:

The indication of this has been in the discussions themselves. I think the price argument is distracting, because people will only buy what they can afford. I've seen very little discussion by the champions of CC about the impacts of ending your subscription ... it's all roses while you can pay, but when you can't seems to be a trivial matter.

Agreed. The only argument I've seen seems like they actually think no one should be using the software if they weren't using it to make enough money to afford the $600 yearly expense, forever.

Apparently the whole concept of saving up your money and buying something nice that should last the next 6 years is so outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe really do believe that no one should be using their software if they weren't using it to make enough money to afford the yearly expense of a CC, then I believe that they should introduce a new product aimed at serious amateurs and semi pro's.

I would be happy with a perceptually licensed stripped down version of Photoshop CC

Something along the lines of the full versions of

ACR 8 or Lightroom

All the options in the tool bar (crops, selections, cloning method etc)

Layers Pallet

One of the sharpening methods

Levels

Curves

Shadow/Highlights

Hue/Satuation

16 Bit Editing

Refine Edges

History

Open/Save options etc

HDR merging and CMYK editing, would be nice not not essential

Basically something that includes all the essential tools (i'm sure i've missed some) that I would use on a daily basis as a landscape photographer, but excludes 3D options and more professionally oriented and rarely used apps

I would be happy to pay around £200 ($200-300), provided support is maintained for upcoming camera and lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauls Sloss wrote:

Jao vdL wrote:

You all should read Thom Hogan's very interesting May 21 analysis of the financials of this change as indicated by Adobe ( http://www.bythom.com (sorry his site is ancient and you can't direct link to articles) ). The numbers make it fairly clear that Adobe fully expects to lose loads of customers over this change - Millions of them in fact. And they expect this contraction to last for a long time. This means that any of our pleas are very likely to fall on deaf ears as we're not telling them anything they don't already know and fully expect.

There is a huge assumption here ... that Creative Cloud will continue to grow appreciably in the long term ie, Adobe will lose loyal customers, but gain new ones over the coming years. It makes me think that despite all their research, there is a bit of a leap of faith in their decision to go CC only right now, rather than waiting for the numbers to stabilise. It's only been one year, and I expect a large number of subscribers were lured by the all-you-can-eat business model, without considering the implications of what they will experience when they have to end their subscription.

The cloud: the biggest gamble after the banking crisis.
Is creative cloud sales really so good or is it just a myth?

Looking at the numbers and projections that Adobe published about its revenue has raised quite some questions for me. Too many things don’t make sense. After thinking this through and eliminating the possibility that the CEO just wants to fuel his ego, my only logical conclusion is that he cloud sales is actually not doing so well as Adobe states.

Why would a company that apparent main goal is not to satisfy its customers, but to make as much money as possible, deliberately make about one billion dollar less over a span of 3 to 4 years? Adobe stated it believes that it will make more afterwards, but according to Adobe’s rosy predictions it takes about 4 years before Adobe expects to make a little bit more revenue with their Digital Media section than they made last year! Furthermore the lost 1 billion still needs to be recovered. So following Adobe’s projection it will take about 5 to 8 years to create a cumulative plus of the related revenue due to the move to subscription only. That makes no sense to me, especially if there was no need for it.

Yes, annual recurring revenue is a worthwhile goal for many reasons, but Adobe’s predictions are based on many risky assumptions. Why would you gamble with the revenue of your company and favor an all or nothing approach for which you estimate to waste 1 billion dollars? Under those expectations it seems that offering subscription and perpetual licenses would have created much bigger total revenue for the next years. If CC is really so successful why did Adobe need to kill perpetual licenses and press its customers to go for subscription? The concentration of the development is a false argument, because Adobe could have offered a year of free updates with a purchased perpetual license, which would have allowed Adobe to concentrate development and keep perpetual licenses.

Furthermore the prediction is based on a slight exponential growth of Creative Cloud. If you use the quite linear development that the Cloud subscription so far achieved it will only produce about 2 million instead of 4 million customers by the end of 2015. It looks like that Adobe needed to press its customers into the cloud, because the cloud did not execute as well as they have stated all the time. There has been a small ramp at the introduction of CC last year, but then the increase was just linear. You also need to take into account that the cloud has been mainly beneficial for the enthusiasts and visionaries, customers that did update every time, or for brand new customers due to the low entry price. Even print, web and video is becoming easier to be executed by the masses, Adobe won’t produce millions of new designers. So the basic problem in each market is that the group of the enthusiasts and visionaries is small compared to the mainstream and the skeptics (just think about gauss’ bell curve). The chasm to the mainstream is the main problem for Adobe in order to get the subscription model adopted. Therefore I think the reason that Adobe is pressing its customers into the cloud is because they know it will be really hard to get the mainstream to adopt the cloud and to keep the numbers increasing as they need them for Wall Street.

Just think that the predicted numbers of cloud subscriber are extremely low compared to the installed base of Adobe products and users. There are more than 4 million CS6 Creative Suite users and about the same number of CS3-CS5.5 Creative Suite users. Additionally Adobe states an installed base for single products that consists of almost 3 million CS6 products and about 1.5 million CS3-CS5.5 products. (I assume Adobe counted only sold and not pirated versions).

If you have an installation base of 10-12 million upgradable products why does Adobe only expect to have 4 million paying cloud subscribers by the end of 2015? Why did 5.5 million users move to CS6 in one year, but it will take an optimistic 3 years to make them upgrade to the new cloud versions? Adobe is targeting the 12 million user market. At the same time it expects that the perpetual license sales of CS6 will barely exist anymore by the end of 2015. So what is about those unaccounted 8 million?

I don’t think that Adobe really considers losing such a big part of its user base by its move to subscription only. I assume that they firmly believe that the main stream and the skeptics will continue to work with CS6 or older versions for the next couple of years and then will be pushed by the market demands, OS changes, or other technological changes to the new versions that are only available in the cloud. They need to believe that they will get them in a few years otherwise the subscription model would have failed already.

It is unlikely that users of versions before CS5 will purchase CS6, because Adobe killed their upgrade path and so they would need to purchase a new expensive full license of CS6. So their only choice again is to go for a subscription. The problem is, that especially this group doesn’t want to upgrade constantly or doesn’t has the money. Again, if you consider that the cloud is not doing so well, or Adobe know how hard it is to cross the chasm, Adobe’s move makes sense. I think Adobe still believes in the outdated homo oeconomicus and just misjudged the human factor. It didn’t expect the harsh reactions of many of its users. The problem is that Adobe gambled not only with its revenue, but violated the trust of its paying users. It is doubtful that especially this group wants to pay for their lifetime to access files. So those users most likely will stay with their current version or will move to different software. This I think was not really anticipated by Adobe, because it will shrink their potential customer base. Those users might have upgraded to CS6, but Adobe closed that path (maybe to make an extra quick buck to reach quarterly revenue goals). I therefore predict that if cloud is not going extremely strong until the end of the year at the latest they might need to open this path again.

For existing Adobe customers CC is 150 to 350% more expensive than the previous perpetual licenses. So if they don’t belong to the enthusiasts and visionaries group they will think twice to pay so much more if they don’t need to. If they can do their work with their actual tools they won’t change them.

This year will show if Adobe has more luck than brain or if it will fail big. On the one side Adobe glorifies the benefit of constant updates. Some customers on this forum even labeled only users as professional that always have the latest version. On the other side Adobe states to sell CS6 indefinitely and wants to support the next major OS updates. Again numbers paint the real picture. If only about 10% of Adobe’s customers are home users and more than 50% of the installed base is not working with the actual versions it means that about half of Adobe’s professional users are not up-to-date. This clearly contradicts the often heard statement that only hobbyists are not willing or able to pay for CC.

The big mystery to me is still why shareholders and Wall Street are not realizing that the predicted path is not as rosy at Adobe paints it. Probably subscriptions are just the actual hype to follow blindly. Maybe some of you remember the “Thin Clients” about 15 years ago. They were the hot thing and the death of the PC was announced by everyone. And also the banking crisis showed how many people followed the pied piper of Hamelin, because greed made them blind.

So what can you do if you would like to keep using Adobe products with a perpetual license? Just don’t purchase CC. CC seems to be a very fragile path for the company. Adobe surely won’t change anything before the revenue numbers and the shareholders will tell them to change their position. They put all on one card and need to bluff for a good while. If they need to change their path it will happen at the latest at the end of this year. It is not a long time to wait for. Just work with your actual version in the meanwhile, keep informing people about the truth with CC (no, it is not cheaper), bust Adobe’s marketing lies, and don’t stop complaining to Adobe. They are trying to sit this out, but this subscription move is not only about Adobe anymore, it is about how we will be able to use software in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Adobe is internally finding it more difficult to create compelling upgrades and/or they plan to pull a Final Cut X redesign in a couple of years and decided this mandatory cloud subscription is the best way to keep users from defecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Perhaps Adobe is internally finding it more difficult to create compelling upgrade

That would fit... Before, they needed to provide enough of a splash with new features to give people a reason to upgrade (or wait for things like new OS releases).

With the 'Creative Cloud' model (once your customers have bought into it) you no longer have that pressure. All you need to do is sit on your laurels and continue to exist to keep raking in the cash.

In that scenario, you only have to worry about things like the possibility of competitors catching up and luring away your base (or perhaps being out of step if the market changes direction radically)..

But Adobe has a dominance in market position and is probably counting on that and customer 'inertia'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really enjoyed your thoughts.. Adobe in my opinion has taken the wrong path... they should have retained the perpetual licenses and actually attracted users by lowering prices not increasing them... They have forgottent the users who have helped become the company they are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Why would a company that apparent main goal is not to satisfy its customers, but to make as much money as possible, deliberately make about one billion dollar less over a span of 3 to 4 years?

Short answer, two words:

Guaranteed money.

When they get a customer, they are locked in. More money after two or three years isn't long to wait for a guaranteed cash cow. And no real innovation needed --- just a moderated continuance of the status quo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All very well said, Marcus. The more I think about this move the more I don't like it.

I'm on CS5 and will not upgrade to CS6. Why? Because it is still an Adobe product in the end. Until they change, I'm off their bandwagon . . . but will continue to be on their case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brntoki wrote:

Marcus Koch wrote:

Why would a company that apparent main goal is not to satisfy its customers, but to make as much money as possible, deliberately make about one billion dollar less over a span of 3 to 4 years?

Short answer, two words:

Guaranteed money.

When they get a customer, they are locked in. More money after two or three years isn't long to wait for a guaranteed cash cow. And no real innovation needed --- just a moderated continuance of the status quo.

Yes, but why take less guaranteed money if you can have more otherwise. The amount of the guaranteed money they are aiming for is still a big gamble. The odds are more against Adobe. Each new version brought Adobe guranteed money, too. Switching to a yearly update cycle also brought them an recurring yearly revenue. They could have offered referred payments to lower the entry bar or software assurance. There was no absolute need to neglect the needs of the biggest part of its customers and relying on their market power to slave them. Offering both options would have made them so much more money and would have kept their customers happy and loyal. It is hard to have guranteed money if you don't have enough customers willing to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

Perhaps Adobe is internally finding it more difficult to create compelling upgrades and/or they plan to pull a Final Cut X redesign in a couple of years and decided this mandatory cloud subscription is the best way to keep users from defecting.

I thought the same first, too, but under the observation that CC is not doing so well and that they will have a hard time to overcome the chasm to the mainstream market they will need to make major improvements to their software. Otherwise they won't be able to reach their 4 million projected cloud customers. They need reasons for their customer base to switch despite the disadvantages of the cloud. In 3 or 4 years the game will look very different. If they would succeed to saturate the market they can only increase revenue if the raise the price or lower the costs, e.g. development cost.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Yes, but why take less guaranteed money if you can have more otherwise. The amount of the guaranteed money they are aiming for is still a big gamble. The odds are more against Adobe. Each new version brought Adobe guranteed money, too. Switching to a yearly update cycle also brought them an recurring yearly revenue. They could have offered referred payments to lower the entry bar or software assurance. There was no absolute need to neglect the needs of the biggest part of its customers and relying on their market power to slave them. Offering both options would have made them so much more money and would have kept their customers happy and loyal. It is hard to have guranteed money if you don't have enough customers willing to pay for it.

Right! But I think this comes full circle. You and I both don't believe it ultimately makes sense, but the ONLY thing I can see that motivated Adobe to do this was the lure of locking in customers and throwing away the key. If they offer both options, people can opt-out realistically, keeping access to their files.

I wrote an article saying why I think this move risks an antitrust lawsuit.

http://agrievanceexpressed.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/is-adobes-creative-cloud-only-model-unethical-an...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

jbjones wrote:

I thought the same first, too, but under the observation that CC is not doing so well and that they will have a hard time to overcome the chasm to the mainstream market they will need to make major improvements to their software. Otherwise they won't be able to reach their 4 million projected cloud customers. They need reasons for their customer base to switch despite the disadvantages of the cloud. In 3 or 4 years the game will look very different. If they would succeed to saturate the market they can only increase revenue if the raise the price or lower the costs, e.g. development cost.

Marcus

In your previous post you also mentioned that they could have more income by offering both options. But, what if they are predicting (to themselves) that in 3-4 years they'll run out of outstanding new features. So instead of a gradual decline in income from slow upgraders, they expect that income graph to fall off a cliff. It would be good to get every person possible on a subscriptoin model now while they have features to entice them. I'm sure they are banking on the fact that a few will reluctantly go to the cloud when it's the only option.

Better to have 50% of your potential audience locked in, than to have only 10% buy the uprade with only 3 new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines