• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rpearson1 wrote:

I want to own my software? I have recently downloaded trials of Bibble, Apeture, (can any one suggest an alternative to ID?

Quark XPress

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Marcus Koch wrote:

Mike, you and Adobe are trying to tell us conctanly that you technically can't create perpetual licenses,

Please read my comment, which you quoted:

"We haven't said that we "cannot" do perpetual, we have said that given that we believe the right direction for the future is around the Creative Cloud model, we are going to focus on making that a sucess."

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Mike, you write the future is around the Creative Cloud model. The Creative Cloud is not a model. It is a marketing name to smooth over the term subscription model. Having future features running or files stored now on Adobe servers (which is what the cloud means) is an idependent technical concept and has no inherent ties to a payment model. So am I correct, if I clearify your statement into:

"We haven't said that we "cannot" do perpetual, we have said that given that we believe the right direction for the future is around the Creative Cloud subscription model, we are going to focus on making that a sucess."

If I'm wrong please give us all a serious reason why Adobe can't focus on cloud features while allowing it's users to have perpetual liecenses. So far Adobe and you completely failed to explain this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If I'm wrong please give us all a serious reason why Adobe can't focus  on cloud features

> while allowing it's users to have perpetual liecenses.  So far Adobe and you completely

> failed to explain this.

Whatever the overall plan is, it apparently involves everyone needing to be 'On the Cloud'.

At very least, the lack of a perpetual license removes the alternative (as well as being a lock-in mechanism to make it harder to leave). The subscription model gives them a constant flow of revenue from the 'captive' members. (The "only one-back" limitation seems to have been only the first step in the revenue enhancement prong of their plan).

If you leave the perpetual license (at near traditional cost), then you remove some of the bars from the gilded cage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So,  on 04/05/2013 Narayen Shantanu sold 225,000 of his 230,797 shares??

Yes,   Interesting!

If my company was making a move that I was positive would generate tons of new revenue,  that everyone loved, and everyone would be on board with,  I'd hold on and cash out later when the price was through the roof.   Instead, he dumped almost all of his???  I find his lack of faith disturbing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T schrieb:

Hey, Marcus is back. That is indeed interesting what you pointed out there, falling all over themselves.

It's been a few pages back now but did you ever look at the Adobe site info about change?

Yes, I saw the site info. Ridiculous! Creative Days are in Munich this Thursday. I registered. If I still find the time I would like to make a t-shirt with "I love choice" printed on it. It would show a special point wearing such a t-shirt at Adobe events.

Browsing on Adobe's website I was presented a survey. It is very interesting that Adobe only sells the complete suite under their CC model, advocating that, because of the modern changes in the creative process, everyone needs all the products. On the other hand the survey lists the following occupations. Not one options fits the “I do all”- type.

21: *Which best describes your occupation? 
Graphic Designer
Pro Photographer
Video Professional (Videographer, Editing, Motion Graphics)
Web Designer/Developer
Creative Director
Educator/Educational Administrator
Marketing Professional (CMO, Web Analyst, Social Marketer, Search)
Purchasing/Procurement Professional
Software Engineer/Application Developer
IT Professional (Non Developer)
Student
Retired
Not currently employed
Homemaker
Other Occupation not listed above

So Adobe is fully aware that most professionals will be specialized in one field, but since CC doesn't offer any web, standard or production versions anymore a lot of customers are just forced to pay more. I'm sure this violates anti-trust laws. Microsoft was fined, because it leveraged IE with its OS. Adobe doesn't do anything different. IE was free, but e.g. designers now have to pay for video software. They might have no need for it or would have purchased anther software instead, but if it is included why would you pay for something extra. Smells big like anti-trust to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I will trust Adobe with the cloud if they don't fix security holes in two years:

Two-Year-Old Flash Bug Still Allows Webcam Spying On Chrome Users

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/06/14/two-year-old-flash-bug-still-allows-webcam-spyi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One year-plus old known bug in Premiere CS6:

Audio and Video glitches | AVCHD footage

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/audio-video-glitches-avchd.html

This was intruduced in CS6.

Not present in CS5, CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus,

Nice You Tube link. It really expresses my concerns about the cloud. Adobe has done huge PR damage with their ham-handed implementation of their subscription-only model. It is the "Comcastification" of Adobe into a "take it or leave it" service rather than the creative tool it used to be. (A Comcast VP sits on the Adobe board. I'm sure she has had input on how to run a profitable monopoly, no matter how reviled the company )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users have contributed a HUGE amount of input to the creation and evolution of all Adobe products. And the way they thank everyone is to stick it into our A$$?

This is going to blow up bigger then anyone could ever imagine. Regime change is clearly coming. This company is going to self destruct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch out everyone, if you joined the cloud, take it easy tomorrow (today in some parts of the world), consult your physician before opening PS, AI, ID or any other CC application, your heart may not take so much joy to see the incredible flow of updates, new features and bug fixes coming your way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, because there is so much "innovation" in these products nowadays that Adobe has to list

" improvements to rounded rectangles add the ability to adjust corner radii at any time" as one of the main new Photoshop features.

Well, it's no surprise, since Adobe has already told us they won't focus much on their "mature" products. Instead they want to take your money (not mine since I'm not signing up for the cloud) and develop tools for other people with it. They want to create completely new programs to lure in new people, but after all they have done here, I wonder how many feel enthusiastic to study anything new from Adobe. I, for one, am going to invest my time and learning efforts to products from other companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus.  In post 959 I posted

I still hope that some kind of compromise can be reached between Adobe and the thousands of anti cloud protesters..  Something like a perpetual version of the cloud software after a set period of subscription or a perpetually licensed product that falls somewhere between the cloud and Photoshop Element would suit me.

You replied in post 960

You'll never get that option as Adobe has made it clear no more perpetual licensing

Looks like a might get what I'm hoping for after all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a seemingly clever offer from Adobe but in reality it does nothing to address the biggest cloud concern which is that people won't be able to open artwork created with CC after the subscription ends. They are still trying to lure you into the same creative prison, but have realized that customers weren't as stupid as they hoped for and will require more tempting bates to get in. It's still a prison and I won't opt in to loose my freedom. Neither should you.

Another funny thing Adobe is doing here is making an offer that will make Creative Cloud look more popular even if people only get in to have a cheap CS6 master collection. Think about it: if someone takes this offer only to get a perpetual CS6 license, it will still look like the cloud is more popular, because this user will now be counted as cloud user. How stupid does Adobe think the stock holders are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Andy!!! CC is a trap... I'm not gonna to bite in this Adobe hook...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's any way that rumor is going to pan out. If it did happen, however, I may just have to read the fine print to see if I really could get a cheap CS6 master collection as it would seem. But, there is no way Adobe is going to do that.

I'll say too, though, that my first thought was that if Adobe needed a way to light a fire under their arse to innovate over the next few years to keep subscirbers, that'd just about do it. And a scarier thought that followed . . . maybe Adobe really does think this CC is actually a good idea and people will love it! They're wrong if so, but maybe they really are that delusional!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this depends on what they mean by "continually update CS6 to support future file and camera types."  Camera types is clear, but the main issue is whether the CS6 you get at the end of the three years will work with the files you created in CC.  Will edits made using CC features not in CS6 be maintained in these files?    I would prefer a permanent license to the CC version at the end of the three years.  And don't tell me that a company with $1 billion in profits last year can't find a way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitm07 schrieb:

Marcus.  ...

You replied in post 960

You'll never get that option as Adobe has made it clear no more perpetual licensing

Actually, I just cited that statement in my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 after paying 36 x $9.99 subscription payments ($359.64) sounds to good to be true to me.  In the UK CS6 costs £631.20 ($990) from Amazon for the full product.  So can't see this being available for new customers like myself who have not previously purchased a CS product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Marcus.  You were citing from a previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57589309-92/adobe-competitors-pounce-after-subscription-backlash/

Adobe competitors pounce after subscription backlash

Companies like Corel, Xara, Nitro, Nuance, Quark, and Pixelmator are taking advantage of customers' displeasure with Adobe's shift from selling Creative Suite perpetual licenses to Creative Cloud subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen this?

http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-mod els-for-creative-cloud/

What if you already own CS6? Sorry, after three years, they need to offer a copy of the current software, frozen at its current feature set. Anything less is not enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines