• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, but and it is a big BUT after three years just you wait and see what major leaps the likes of Premiere, AE, Encore, Photoshop and Audition will have made

I predict that after the initial CC surge in the next few days that there will be not enough future changes to warrant paying the vastly inflated prices for three years of Cash Cow subscriptions.

On the other hand the present bloatware will make leaps and bounds forward

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some launch event today? I can't find anything on the Adobe website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The release date is June 17th, 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to make me laugh all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes wrote:

hahahaha...good one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Is there some launch event today? I can't find anything on the Adobe website.

no, they'll sneak it in in the middle of the night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

watch out everyone, if you joined the cloud, take it easy tomorrow (today in some parts of the world), consult your physician before opening PS, AI, ID or any other CC application, your heart may not take so much joy to see the incredible flow of updates, new features and bug fixes coming your way...

"Software of dreams" - build it* and they will come.

*it: I wonder if one of the Adobe Board Members is a die hard Field of Dreams / Kevin Costner fan and saw the clouds on the movie poster and had a moment of eureka? Then first asked Adobe marketing if they could accomplish the task and pull it off. Once marketing said yes they could, they then advised the software engineers to write a few lines of code to make it only work via subscription (everthing esle the same (see marketing)) …. and of course the rest is history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, here is post number 1000!

Celebration time, come on....

..you need 9000 more posts to reach the next level 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Hey, here is post number 1000! Celebration time, come on...you need 9000 more posts to reach the next level 🙂

Or only about 31,000 to match the petition against the subscription only model.

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Never will happen as Adobe will likely start a per post fee in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear the cloud became a model in order to obtain funding for the new Adobe Bath Salts applicaiton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

Marcus Koch wrote:

Never will happen as Adobe will likely start a per post fee in the future.

I doubt that. It's more likely they will just group the forums into the Creative Cloud subscription plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that. It's more likely they will just group the forums into the Creative Cloud subscription plan.

...they're not THAT dumb, we're their FREE technical support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!! less than an hour, how exiting!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

Are you subscribed or something? What is less than an hour, and exciting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

Was this a typo, or stating your plan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brntoki wrote:

CarlosCanto wrote:

Was this a typo, or stating your plan?

Maybe this will help clear it up for you....

CarlosCanto wrote:

Maybe the guy in charge of turning on the CC download option....

homerStartCC.jpg

I believe it was, sarcasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it was, sarcasm.

indeed it was, it was a very entertaining day waiting and waiting for the much anticipated CC launch...oh well, the fun is over now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto wrote:

it was a very entertaining day waiting and waiting for the much anticipated CC launch...oh well, the fun is over now.

More waiting for certain features Creative Cloud Connection that I think as stated in many posts would be available today as well.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5300665

Opps:

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/update-on-creative-cloud-connection-and-file-sync-preview/

Update : June 17th : We are continuing to work on file sync functionality, stability and performance in preparation for its release, which we anticipate in the coming weeks.

Seems like its still not out of Beta yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1000 posts and climbing and that's just this thread, there are dozens if not 100's of related threads elsewhere on this and numerous other forums.  Plus the anti cloud petitions.  Are you listening Adobe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read the new license terms? E.g.:

2.1.5 Dual Boot Platform. The Software is licensed for use on a specific operating system platform. Customer must purchase a separate license for use of the Software on each operating system platform. By way of example, if Customer desires to install the Software on both the Mac OS and Windows operating system platforms on a device that runs both of those platforms (i.e., a dual boot machine), then Customer must first obtain two separate licenses for the Software. This is true even if two versions of the Software, each designed for a different operating system platform, are delivered to Customer on the same media.

2.2.3 Restrictions. Customer agrees to the following additional terms and restrictions related to the Membership: (a) Adobe may change the type of Software (such as specific products, components, versions, platforms, languages, etc.) included in the Membership at any time and shall not be liable to Customer whatsoever for such change; (b) Customer may be required to connect to the Internet and log in at any time during the Membership Term; (c) Software may automatically connect to the Internet to verify Customer’s Membership without notice at any time; and (d) Customer may not enable or allow others to use the Software as Customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does 2.2.3(d) actually mean that if I have it installed on my computer I can't let anyone else use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild schrieb:

Does 2.2.3(d) actually mean that if I have it installed on my computer I can't let anyone else use it?

sounds like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild wrote:

Yes. The license is for you and you alone and is the same as if it were CS6 or CS7. If multiple people need to use it then you get Creative Cloud for Teams. This is a standard licensing term that allows people to run software on both a workstation and a laptop or some other configuration without having to buy a second copy provided both machines are under the control of the licensee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch schrieb:

Have you read the new license terms? E.g.:

2.1.5 Dual Boot Platform. The Software is licensed for use on a specific operating system platform. Customer must purchase a separate license for use of the Software on each operating system platform. By way of example, if Customer desires to install the Software on both the Mac OS and Windows operating system platforms on a device that runs both of those platforms (i.e., a dual boot machine), then Customer must first obtain two separate licenses for the Software. This is true even if two versions of the Software, each designed for a different operating system platform, are delivered to Customer on the same media.

2.1.x is applicable to perpetual licenses only. I didn't find find out, yet, why 2.1.2.3 then is about Subscription Edition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines