• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, my misunderstanding in that case. Regardless, I still question the wisdom of the rental-only policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, It said we get 10 free Adobe Stocks. How much is that worth and can I just exchange it for the money?Screenshot 2016-11-08 13.29.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonf50585586

I totally get where you're coming from, I was hesitant at first myself.  My Adobe experience started well before even CS, when Macs were beige boxes, so I can relate. 

That being said, I just find it ironic because this is the same community that will equally bash Apple for "abandoning professionals".  I remember when FCPX and Logic Pro X were first announced and released, the interwebs exploded into chaos. The professional market is coming to an end, they're catering to cell phone users, etc.  Same with the new Mac Pros a couple years back, now again with the new laptops.  But when Adobe makes a move catered to pros that turns the software from incremental updates every couple years to a system that has continual automatic updates, better integration between apps, better collaboration features for working with a team, with the assets I choose to put in the cloud available to me anywhere in the event of HD failure, and not least of all the solid experience of working with something that just works and I'm used to....all for what amounts to one of my lowest monthly bills, personal or professional, that I'm going to write off anyway...its still an issue.  Seems like a good deal to me.

It seems like the main sticking point is peoples' perception of ownership.  Perpetual licensing doesn't make you immune to a company messing with you.  They could at any point say CS7 is coming out and it's going to cost $1200 and people would be outraged and complain and threaten a boycott and moving to other software.  And then they would pay it.  You're still tied into their system, its no different.  As for the Verizon/Comcast comparison I can go into how you don't really own that either, since you're probably paying a fee per box like me, along with an assortment of other hidden fees and taxes that can't be explained.  But I don't have to because just by gut feeling alone I can say I've been FAR more messed with and burned by Verizon/Comcast than by Adobe or frankly any other company I can think of and its not even close, lol...maybe I'm alone in this.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think CC is perfect.  They could DEFINITELY have more flexibility with the pricing if you don't need the whole package.  The photographer bundle of PS and LR for $10 is cool as far as I'm concerned. Then maybe a sliding scale to where if you buy a single app lic. for $20...you can add another for $10...and then any additional app for $5.  That might work, I don't know...ADOBE IF YOU'RE READING, GET ON THIS.

As for the person calling me selfish for voicing an opinion, you're taking this a bit personal.  I'm not speaking with anyone's money and I'm not rich by stretch of the imagination so I'm definitely not being disrespectful of people with financial problems.  Nobody is forcing you to buy into it, there are other quality alternatives that cost less...even free ones.  Even with perpetual licensing you're talking about CS, the industry standard, premier software package that costs hundreds of dollars to begin with.  If i had financial problems, I wouldn't be investing that kind of money into software anyway.  I'd start with what I could afford until I could upgrade to what I really want, like everything else in life.  If that makes me disrespectful and selfish in your world, so be it...enjoy.

A company changed their business model, life will continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OldeSoulPhoto,

thank you for having a decent conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey jonf,

No thanks necessary man, not enough of it in the world today. 

Have a good one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi oldesoulphoto, m my English knowledge misunderstood you. I've felt your message as you were criticize the topic of this thread and that annoyed me Because if there is people who is asking for something i feel disrespectful someone who criticize it. Everybody has their own reason for asking. By the way nobody is asking adobe to give their softwares for free but to give the chance to buy the perpetual license even at a higher prize than the rental option!!! Again your suggestion for what you would do in a financial problem Situation is something that is annoying and I'll explain you why! if I'm using adobe software since 1997 and I've also got two Ace maybe I don't want to learn a new software which doesn't have all adobe functionality. Also if I need to open an old project (and this happens to me constantly) the free software you are suggestion had no chance to do it. Did you think to that before you wrote your suggestions? I just need to have stability and a rental software doesn't give it to me. If this year I can afford to pay for cc I'm not sure I can do it for the next. This is why I want to choose to BUY a perpetual license. If I say you are selfish I'm not saying that to insult you. that is not what matters to me. If you read what you've written again is just saying what YOU would do if you had financial problems. But you are you and the others are the others with their own way to afford life. So in this way I've find your message disrespectful. This was a thread to ask adobe to give us the chance to BUY a perpetual license and your complaining message (if I've got it correctly) is almost out of topic. If you are fine with adobe choice nobody is asking here adobe to stop renting so I and all the other people on this thread are just asking adobe to give this possibility to users back. my message has no intention to offend you but to explain what I meant with selfish and disrespectful!!! I wish you a wonderful Sunday, davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my voice to the many others objecting to the new Adobe subscription plan. I have no objection in principle to software subscriptions, but this one is bad for many reasons, mainly because is so inflexible, but also because it seems to be a large price hike for many (if not most) users.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, many users (including me) are getting corruption and installation mailed messages when they try to update their CC apps. While I understand that Adobe has a major problems supporting all of their products and that a subscription is probably the best option     ...

It is 1) a subscription service and 2) premium-priced. As a subscription service, I expect it to be available when I want to use. When the subscription service fails, they are in violation of their contract to provide me with that service. As a premium-priced service, I expect premium support. I'm not getting that - http://www.2brotherspainting.net

Going forward, I'm looking for options to get rid of my CC service. CC is just not worth the hassle and expense. There are several other products that meet most of my needs better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can completely understand your frustration, Yesturday the Creative Cloud service had an outage in the EU which wasnt reported by Adobe. I had to post a link up in the community to inform other members of the outage (this reduced my productivity time for the day dramatically.) I have also had problems with the CC Desktop app causing high memory leaks and being told to stop the proccess while running applications. Overall I wonder where the QA is when launching these products now. It feels more like they are ticking boxes then actually fixing the problems people report! The web outage took Adobe 2 hours to fix and prevented people from installing apps. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 and being told "adobe has worked hard with Microsoft to deliver working windows 8.1 apps out of the box" we got a launcher error and was put in touch with 1st line support which did a remote access to my machine, Disabled All Services (including anti-virus) I had to re-enable the services as Adobe left my machine in an unsecure enviroment and had to then reimage the machine after the OS was corrupted after the remote access from so called technical support only to be informed they couldnt help me and would refer my case to 2nd line support. Since then Ive had no contact with 2nd line support and have given up hope of having the issues fixed so much that ive actually removed CC from all machines in my workforce and informed staff to find alternative software as Adobe is incapable of providing a standard level of service. Hopefully Adobe will fix the launcher and the CEF helper in the future but for now ive had to undeploy CC from the work enviroment. I hope Adobe will bring back the CS series. It was far more stable than CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry guys. I can't help but laugh at all the people who actually bought in to the CC concept. I wish you guys good luck in your future endevors whether it'd be through the corrupted CC model or alternative resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, a CS user

A typical CC user

Oh how I love not paying Adobe £50 a month for software that sucks

Enjoy your cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly telling that new posts here in the Creative Ripoff forum have to be approved by a moderator, unlike other forums.

DAMAGE CONTROL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not noted this, my original post was not delayed in it's being posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B r e t t wrote:

Certainly telling that new posts here in the Creative Ripoff forum have to be approved by a moderator, unlike other forums.

DAMAGE CONTROL.

wms1 wrote:

I have not noted this, my original post was not delayed in it's being posted.

I just experienced this myself, tried to post and received this message:

"Please note, your reply will need to be approved by a moderator before it is posted in the forum."

This is absurd, I have also had multiple posts deleted aka censored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have few posts to Adobe forums and I have yet to see such a message, perhaps there is another reason why some but not other posts to be moderated. In general I have found that forum moderators are very  under appreciated. Now perhaps you are correct in that Adobe is censoring those who disapprove, and as one who does disapprove of the decision to only 'rent' Photoshop I should find myself on that list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even try to type the truth into a Review on their Product Pages. We tried a lot in different contries. They were never been seenn.

They changed philosophy completely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first read about this, I thought it was a great idea to be able to spread the payments out, making affordability greater for newbies, access to software easier, more and quicker updates, etc… then came the "fine print" as so to speak.  I'm feeling a little uneasy about selling my soul at this point and something doesn't seem quite right.  I don't think this pitch would work with my clients either.  Go back and see what else you can come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many of you have actually cancelled your CC subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul_Taylor wrote:

How many of you have actually cancelled your CC subscription?

I have not yet, but I will when my first year offer is over and the price nearly doubles.   It's on the limit now and a higher price is too much.

I live in Norway where the offer(!) is 300,- NOK which is a bit over $50. The full price will be $82 per month!!  No chance I will pay that amount each month. I don't have any income of photography.

The reason I went in on this was because I COMPLETELY MISSED  the point that my files are "gone" when I stop paying.

If I had thought of that first I would never ever entered this offer.

Now I guess I will have to look for alternatives to Adobe unless they get their heads out of the cloud. I am sure they will when the cloud fades away when their ex-customers starts buying competitors software and starts to shine again.

Terje

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upps. They are obviously cencoring here also? No visible posts here any longer?  I noticed that already at their producht pages - as whenver you try to write an Review with a "not so good resume", it also will never become visible. That was also verified by friends of mine in different countries. As this can be a base for customers decisions I wonder if this legal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously,if you've read any of my comments, Adobe is not censoring comments.  I did get an early on warning from Adobe that future comments would result in denial of posting privileges.  Guess my posts have not been that offensive to either Adobe or their employees, who i once respected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost my trust in Adobe, I got an email on 22 May 2013 from Adobe India saying THANKS FOR BEING VALUED CUSTOMER (so that we can charge you whenever we want). They appreciated the business and pleased to offer me 18 months of CC apps, next portion is interesting

With this offer, you'll have access to the following apps, including any updates that are released during this 18-month term:
Adobe Photoshop® CC
Adobe Illustrator® CC
Adobe Flash® Professional CC
Adobe Premiere® Pro CC
Adobe After Effects® CC
Adobe Audition® CC
Adobe SpeedGrade® CC
Adobe Prelude® CC
Adobe Encore® (included in Adobe Premiere Pro)
Adobe Media Encoder CC (included in Adobe Premiere Pro)
CC apps included with this offer are not available for concurrent use.

I and Adobe also agrees on, I OWNED production premium so I'm happy to use these softwares not apps,

And more interesting is this

By downloading the Creative Cloud products listed above, you agree that your free trial expires on December 30, 2014

I'm not agree at all, why is Adobe forcing me ? I paid you in advance only for developing good tools not to give me this future? And if Adobe would have told me before I paid them in June 2012 I would have stopped payment.

Although I got a clarification that I will be getting full access to cc, but I don't want that if it does not have any exit strategy. I requested the Adobe salres-rep that I'm not interested in CC, I'll stick with CS6 and can you cancel my membership and refund my payment along with interest from date of payment to till date, still no reply from ADOBE. Again Adobe had already announced this to their resellers but resellers were under the confidentiality agreement. My whole point is I would have never invested my single rupee in the Adobe by paying them in advance

I can understand that business always have to earn the profit, even greed is also understandable but this creative cloud is more than that.

This post does not have to do anything with Adobe engineer, these guys are great cause they are working on something that helps to convert thought into reality.... This is only for some Marketing Gurus I have doubt about their qualification too, cause they are looking at outrage throughout the forum but still busy in telling Creative Cloud bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla...

In India even a tea vendor who earns monthly as low as US$ 100, he knows how to handle his customer, he cares about his customers. This does not mean that Adobe should hire a tea vender but people or executives who respects the customer views and needs...

I only have to say Thank You to Adobe for returning trust and investment in this CC manner, yes and I took some effort to visualise it in CC manner too...

Thank you once again Adobe....

1004593_618221028197210_1459837987_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I can understand that business always have to earn the profit, even greed is also understandable

> but this creative cloud is more than that.

Viewing greed as being composed of a spectrum of possible levels, I guess you might call this 'Advanced Greed' then.

If you believe that 'Absolute Power corrupts absolutely', then you can believe that Adobe (or any company for that matter) would eventually 'abuse' its customers if given absolute control over them.

In that case, it wouldn't  be a stretch of the imagination to believe that if a company could edict that its customers be compelled to pay (even if the company provided absolutely nothing in return), it would eventually succumb to that temptation.

Fortunately,  It still comes down to what the customers are willing to put up with. Some may be willing (or perhaps even happy) to submit, but I won't be joining that group myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regime change is coming in theatres this Fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

What Adobe has done is gut the "demand" side of "supply and demand."  People weren't seeing the value of upgrading with each release of CS (low demand), so Adobe schemed a way to create demand by making its customers have to upgrade continually and for all time.  At the same time, what is being supplied is likely to return less and less value as the pressure to innovate dissolves with the constant cash flow from software rental (we should never call it a subscription, since that is not what it is).  Either economic theory has stopped working the way it used to, or this plot by Adobe is doomed to fail.  I hope they come to their senses before it is too late, because I want  to keep using Adobe software, but I am not going to buy in to software rental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines