• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Sorry, but your response here is simply based on ignorance and self-importance. You have no basis on this. Not a REAL basis anyway.

What are you talking about? Of course he has a basis for that statement, which is simply the obvious reality of things. This pricing model favors those who are bad at saving money up front, because now they don't have to. That's pretty obvious. On the other hand the ones that were able to pay up front now can't and their price has gone up. It also favors those who are uncertain if they will need the software for longer periods. The ones this model is horrible for is the long time paying customers. Those are the ones complaining here. Former pirates and newbies are happy. Those are usually the ones defending this model.

Simply because someone has a different opinion than you does not mean that the differing opinion is wrong..only different than yours.

I agree. That's why we should use logic and facts. And the facts are undeniable here.

Each person can have different circumstances and opinions.

What a thoughtful statement, bravo!

There are many that benefit from Adobe's subscription's.

Which would be mostly newbies and those who are uncertain if they stay in the business for a longer period of time. Who else really "benefits"?

I do not begrudge anyone their oipinion, but it has been horrid in the forums here whenever anyone has made a comment in favor of Adobe the same group of people make post after post demanding that that the positive poster relent to the negative.

Oh yes, you can bet on it. If I see something incorrect stated, I will defend the truth with logic and facts. You are welcome to do the same.

Simply having a different opinion from yours, no matter what MY reason is, does not infact make it wrong. And no amount of bully comments will make me change my opinion. You have no clue what you are talking about when you claim to know what kind of person I am when it comes to finances. You would probably do much better, and perhaps have better credibility, if you just could just stay with facts that you actually know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply having a different opinion from yours, no matter what MY reason is, does not infact make it wrong. And no amount of bully comments will make me change my opinion. You have no clue what you are talking about when you claim to know what kind of person I am when it comes to finances. You would probably do much better, and perhaps have better credibility, if you just could just stay with facts that you actually know.

It's hard to find logical arguments in your posts. They seem to be very generic and emotional. Please try to put in some actual content that can be debated over in a logical way. You can call me a bully or other names if you want. I'm not interested in name-calling. I'm interested in facts and logic. Please provide some facts to support your statements. For example, you didn't so far debunk a single thing I have said. Please notice also that I haven't made any specific statements about your particular situation, so that part of your reply was a strawman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud

PROS

monthly subscription cost favouable only to users in the USA

all significant software products in one bundle

low cost subscription incentive for existing users for one year

access to your software anywhere

access to the cloud storage anywhere

Cons

higher costs for existing users compared to old CS version cycle

stop subscribing, stops access to software

stop subscribing and project access no longer possible (Premiere, AE etc)

no perpetual licence available

more software than you require

online validation required every 30 days

no guarantee of the rate of rise of subscription costs in subsequent years

no guarantee on bug fixes

no guarantee on product improvements to the product you actually want improving

Creative Suite

PROS

you buy just the suited products you want

you can miss a version and update at same cost

vast array of plugins available and transferable

Perpetual license means that the software will always be available

CONS

high initial cost

So that is it as I see it as a non clouder and Adobe user for 20 years

As I live in the UK the subscription cost is nothing short of extortionate and vastly more expensive than the previous CS costs

Please do not ramble on about the $50 per month being affordable, if you wanted the old CS suite then you were perfectly capable of buying it via a loan and paying the loan off at the rate of $50 per month, then at least you would have known what you were paying and that the sostware would continue to operate long after you stopped paying for it

As has been eloquenty stated it is not just about money, its about the respect and treatment that Adobe has for its long term customers, its about them commiting the Company to a single income stream track.

This may be short term, but lets face it the mature products like Photoshop and Premiere are gtting to the end of their development life, the many features users have asked for will be drip fed, its another reason why the perpetual licence will not happen

So enjoy having your heads stuck up your clouds, it may work for you but it does not for others

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles Lamb wrote:

Cons:

+

All the issues, problems and failures people are experiencing in about every thread since the official June 17th launch. Along with the potential for the same or new ongoing issues moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W J  T

I totally agree and the reason people are having problems is that they are stupid.

Now that may seem a harsh statement but it is a true one

Nobody should ever, EVER, EVER expect a major software release or update by Adobe to be bug free

That just does not happen and there have been posts and posts, problem after problem listed on these very forums for years

Never has been bug free, never will.........users wether they like it or not are BETA testers..........and then their is no gurantee that the bugs will be fixed  ( CS6 Premiere spanned video file bug, 2 years and still no fix )

YOU ONLY EVER INSTALL ADOBE SOFTWARE AFTER IT HAS PROVED TO CONTAIN BUGS THAT YOU ARE PREPARED TO LIVE WITH

I don't hate Adobe software I love it and have for 20 years, so I have more experience than most.

Good luck with your cloud

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here comes the incompatibility!

David Torno has an excellent scripting tutorial series.

Here is the latest: http://provideocoalition.com/pvcexclusive/video/after-effects-extendscript-training-ep-12

Here is a quote from him.  I first noticed this on an Adobe forum.

AFTER EFFECTS CC NOTE: This series was recorded before After Effects CC was released. In After Effects CC, Adobe updated the ScriptUI for ExtendScript, so some of the information in this tutorial may not work in After Effects CC. This tutorial was made using After Effects CS6 and the code explained should be compatible with CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6. I am currently in the process of researching the newly made changes in After Effects CC and may post an update to this tutorial at a later date.

Isn't this the sort of nonsense that we've been fearing.  This means scripts written pre-CC may not work right with CC, and more importantly vice-versa.

Gee.....I wonder why Adobe would be changing things like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild wrote:

Well, here comes the incompatibility!

Adobe updated the ScriptUI for ExtendScript

Isn't this the sort of nonsense that we've been fearing.  This means scripts written pre-CC may not work right with CC, and more importantly vice-versa.

A few InDesign and Illustrator examples of this as well...

ID CC SUI - Insane Daft Crazy Cuckoo Stupid Useless Idiotic

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5423464

script UI is Ugly in CC,Why?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5446542

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's scott Kelby's recent blog post... when you read inbetween the lines his guilty conscious is seeping through.. he forgets he is meant to be an evangalist to his NAPP members...not to adobe...

http://scottkelby.com/2013/you-said-something-i-disagree-with-you-must-be-getting-paid/#disqus_threa...

Unfortunately Scott whether you like it or not you are a superstar in the world of photoshop. being a superstars comes with many benefits and also disadvantages.. people of fame have to deal with this..

Many people look to you to stand up for their r
ights.. you feel you have done your best...calling adobe and writing letters...Many users believe you could do better... your rant in the blog demonstrates on a subconscious level you know you can

The haters hater because they love adobe software...they hate because they have been betrayed... these same haters don't hate the cloud... in fact I can see the cloud benefits.. what I don't like is the removal of choice..

Previously we could rent or buy..? Adobe saw profits in the rent only model and have decided to yank the purchase option.. in your blog you said they thought long and hard about this...clearly they did not... to think users would subscribe to a system where they lose file access if they stop was not well thought out..

The only way the file access issue can be solved is thru a purchase model..

Your Drobo post about your loss of file access was very frustrating to you... imagine a freelancer in a bad economy ..

In short you have to ask yourself am I an Evangelist for Adobe or for all your users... deep down you know the answer.. the question is will you be that person

here;s my response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is also abandoning its educational customers.  In the past we were in the Cumulative License Program (CLP).  I am not certain exactly how that worked, but given the volume of licenses purchased, we received substantial discounts.  Last year we puchased CS6 Web Premium for $296, and CS6 Design Standard for $247.  These were permanent licenses for the programs that our users needed, and not a penny for programs that we didn't need.  We were not eligible for upgrade pricing, but with the CLP pricing that was no problem.

Now?  Our only option moving forward is to pay $427 per year (until it goes up) for CC.  Plus, there is no loss-leader discount for the first year for us.  It is $427/year from day 1.

Now, $427 is better than $600, but these fees are paid out of individual department or faculty soft money accounts, for the most part.  There is no guarantee that the funds to continue the rent payments will be there from year to year.  And, if an employee wants to access their work made with Adobe products after retirement, it will be $600+/yr to do so.

As far as installations of Adobe software in classrooms and teaching labs, I really have problems going forward having students prepare materials using Adobe products if they are going to have to subscribe to CC in order to access those materials once they graduate.  What Adobe is doing is using educators as though they were drug dealers, handing out free samples to get kids hooked.  We provide CC in the classroom, students prepare materials and projects that end up in their portfolios using CC, and then are forced to subscribe in order to actually use those materials.

It is a rotten deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said pknight424, I too work in higher education and have been hearing similiar reports as you suggested. Higher ed is getting screwed in this deal and there's plenty of pissed off faculty to go around. I agree with you in regards to sending these students off after they graduate and assuming they're going to "want" to pay the ransom fee that was developed after they made the decision to do this for their career. So they too are being forced into something that was created after they already enrolled. Like you, I'm not okay with assisting this Adobe behavior.

I had sat down recently a couple weeks back when Adobe came to our University to explain the new Captive Cloud model and I can't begin to tell you how many pissed off faculty and staff there were with many questions that Adobe reps could not answer or gave some BS reply to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creativetta,

At least Adobe spoke with you.  All of our dealings with Adobe run through Software House International, who handles our state software contracts.  We get to talk to our SHI rep, who can only tell us what Adobe tells him (i.e., take it or leave it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has so many intricate "partnerships."  So many pricing tiers.

Back in the old 1980 days, we would have called Adobe a CONGLOMERATE trying to be a monopoly, which they have pretty much succeded in becoming, by buying up attractive companies to help them either dominate a market or expand into markets

What is really interesting, since the announcement of Cash Cow, is their spending spree.  They're buying up lots of stuff . . . for really big bucks.  What are they up to?  Gotta wonder.

There's a reason Adobe went from being a 1970s font provider to a 2013 conglomerate.  Gotta admire them for that.

Graduate business students ought to study Adobe.  Maybe PHd candidates ought to consider writing their thesis on something relating to Adobe market acquisition.  They've been, as a former customer, something to behold and stand in awe of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope I don't get suspended again or banned permanently.

If I do . . . so what?

I'm stuck, not without delight, at CS6 Master Collection.  Adobe has already told us . . . no upgrades . . . just bug fixes.

All you posters . . . got any earnings and profits from  sells by Adobe top officers?  Got any stock you can sell for profit.at all from simply buying their once perpetually licence.

Adobe is not our friend.  Pretty much, anyone looking at the cost beyond a year, you're fooling yourself.

Look at all the abandoned software Adobe sold us.  What makes you think the Cash Cloud will be any different?

Asking every and each person who bought that software.  Surely, we can provide a long list.  Dontcha' think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End of a thousand plus replies?

Adobe has billions to buy what they want. 

they made that much profit with their core enterprises and bought everything they could within reach.

Adobe's traditional customer reach is no longer what Adobe cares about.

Once . . . we thought Adobe posters cared about customers and and marketing opportunities for customers . . . but now we know . . . .or soime should catch on . . . Adobe isn't a font factory anymore

a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just received a letter from Adobe.

It states: "As a special thanks to our current customers, we'd like to offer you an annual Creative Cloud membership....just $19.99 a month."  It goes on..."The world's best creative tools......and they're all available only in Creative Cloud."

Adobe let me reiterate, I would have handed thousands of dollars over the coming years to you for upgrades every couple of releases (Not every one!), but now I will give you nothing!  I will never join your Cash Cow as it currently stands.  I'm sure millions of your customers feel, or will feel, the same.

Oh...I have three boys.  I will instruct them never to buy Adobe products.  I will teach them how you treat your customers and provide alternatives to them as replacement software becomes available.

You guys don't realize what you've started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$19.99 is the hook. This time next year there's going to be a lot of angry people in these forums when their accounts get sucked dry with the price increase. Looking forward to watching from the sidelines as all the Pro-Cloud people start realizing what a mess they've gotten themselves into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree ... they are using a lost leader tactic of..come in at a low price and we'll gouge you later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do you existing users of CS and now CC who have signed up for the higer subscription rate feel now that Adobe have slapped you in the mouth with this offer of yet more reduction in the subscription to $19.00?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. More discounts. Chaeaper.

Seems they can´t catch as many Cloudies as they need, to hold out to Wall Street in November.

They must have 1,25 K of users in their horrible no way out solution till Nov - else they have to tell Wall Street, they failed in reaching their own plans.
(And that will be a GREAT problem for them, trust me. Espec. as their minimalistic business reports pointing out this cloud BS "sooooo" successful. Also hiding how much of their income is based on selling CS6 fair prducts)

Wonder if the next thing will be, you get the CashCow for nothing, but please, please subscribe... We need you... Make our dreams come true...

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is the price discount is only for new subscribers.

It has no bearing on me one way or the other.   $600.00 USD per year for masters collection +  with on going updates and new software, website hosting and thusands of dollars in fonts and other offerings where I don't have to come up with $600 at once and just pay $50 a month to me is a good deal.

I don't have to stick with Adobe's software and quite often use other 3rd party paid and free software that in some cases do a better job in certain circumstances along side whatever applications I choose to use from the options available in the cloud subscription.

I don't have the problem with the cost as many seem to.

I dislike many things Adobe does and way they seem to disregard support in exchange for a help yourself via peer forum mentality.  I also dislike a higher fee if you want the option to cancel at anytime without having to pay the 50% of the remaining balance in the year contract.

Discontinueing software in exchange for frankensteined dumbed down applications but at least they give the option to roll back to CS6 versions of the main software.

I don't like the code generated by most of the web tools but they do help me to mockup quickly sites and dreamweaver does help when taking those mockups and rewriting the code while getting the same look and functionality.

Some of the stand alone software will be going 100% to online versions at some point as stated by members of the team of Muse. That being at least one that is planned to be transitioned to 100% online.  At which point I will stop using that particular software.

My year is up and my new price will be 50.00 per month while the last year it was 30.  What I have experienced with updates and new releases during the first year as long as it continues then I have no problem with paying the new amount.

They have to alert us to price increases and my understanding is we will be given the option to cancel at that time.  I can still cancel upto the renewal date and any price increase after that from my understanding we will be notified and then given an option to back out before that new increase happens.   Maybe not but we will see when that happens.

I am not a shill or adobe playboy, I walked into the subscription being fully alert to what it would be like and the cost, including the second year renewal increase to full price.

I don't feel cheated or ripped off.  I got what I paid for and then some during the first year.

I expect the same in the following year.

It really is a simple thing.  Either join the creative cloud or don't.   I made the educated decision to subscribe a year ago.  I don't regret it.

The ISP's here also have a similar contract where you are locked in for at a minimum 2 years and have to pay to cancel before that time.  The costs of my internet has gone up since I started service, I am not angry about that either.

My insurance, mortgage and utilities are also a monthly service and the prices vary. None of the monthly bills I have are below 50.00.

I make money with the tools Adobe offers and I find the price of the subscription very economical compared to paying thousands up front for static software that will last maybe a couple years before being in large part redundant by the ever changing standards and technologies.  I do A LOT of web design and programming for the web and having tools that are upto date is extremely important.

I have standalone CS3 suite I paid $1500.00 which I can't even use anymore because it is so outdated. $50 a month is worth it to me for updated tools and not having to pay out another high price all at once,  I can't do that.

Speaking for myself only, I have no problem with paying 50 or 80 or 100.00 per month for the subscription.  These are professional level tools and to get access to them for 50 a month instead of 2500 or more is a great deal.  That is more than 4 years of subscription at which point CS6 or any static software would be long in the tooth and not used a whole lot.

Even standalone static software has a shelf life especially webdesign software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At_play, thanks for a well written post.

You seem like a good target for the creative cloud and I respect that.

With mostly web-related work you don't have to worry so much about Adobe's proprietary file-types. You can edit your html, css, php, javascript and other files easily with other editors if you ever decide to stop subscribing. That makes the situation much more tolerable I'm sure.

I guess my questions to you are the following:

-You say you need to stay current because of the fast changing industry. I respect that. But do you really feel like Dreamweaver has kept pace with the development of the industry in recent years?

-Why do you like Dreamweaver in the first place (I'm genuinely curious)? There are so many free alternatives available for coding, that if Dreamweaver is your main tool, then doesn't buying the full master collection seem a bit expensive?

-If you also use Photoshop a lot, then can you name a single must have feature for web development that PS has gotten say during the last 3-4 years?

-You write: "I have standalone CS3 suite I paid $1500.00 which I can't even use anymore because it is so outdated." Which exact features of CS3 are so outdated that it can't be used anymore for web work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

I guess my questions to you are the following:

-You say you need to stay current because of the fast changing industry. I respect that. But do you really feel like Dreamweaver has kept pace with the development of the industry in recent years?

The CSS designer and visual layout within Dreamweaver has.

They disabled the database connectivity features in DW CC but it can be enabled again easily. Some of the features seem to not work as well but I also have the CS6 version installed where everything database wise works great.  Depending on what I am working on I just switch between CC and CS6.

Why do you like Dreamweaver in the first place (I'm genuinely curious)? There are so many free alternatives available for coding, that if Dreamweaver is your main tool, then doesn't buying the full master collection seem a bit expensive?

I like Dreamweaver for the visual layout and the CSS designer, which makes creating UI layouts simple(er).

I also use 3rd party software notepad++, an older version of jetbrains PhpStorm and several other paid and free tools.

From the Creative Cloud I use fireworks CS6, photoshop cc, muse cc, audition cc, edge reflow, illustrator cs6, premiere pro.

I don't just create websites and web applications but I also create multimedia content, pdf and mobile ebooks, articles and various other audio / video and interactive content for the web and offline content.

-If you also use Photoshop a lot, then can you name a single must have feature for web development that PS has gotten say during the last 3-4 years?

I came from CS3 web design suite and I never used Photoshop before I got a hold of CS6 via the creative cloud, even though it is in my CS3 suite.  I primarily used Fireworks and paint.net for photo editing and creating graphics for the web. 

For me the must have features are the ability to easily remove imperfections and distracting background "stuff."  Ability to easily correct distortion in the image, color correct and brighten and bring out detail.   The new features in CC allow to do this MUCH MUCH easier and for me it wasn't that difficult to learn to use Photoshop CS6.  With the help of youtube and Adobe.tv.

Which exact features of CS3 are so outdated that it can't be used anymore for web work?

Dreamweaver CS3 is USELESS for correct visual layout and the CSS support even with plugins is not worth messing with.   The code it creates is also GARBAGE.   Why should I have to spend all my time rewriting the code the tool creates when all I want to do is visually layout and actually SEE live what I am doing so I don't have to keep refreshing a browser and save my current file in notepad++.  

I don't have the CSS codes memorized and I am not going to keep bouncing from tool to tool just to get one bit of information like a color code.

To do rounded corners and shadows with varying level of transparency in a complex layout have good luck trying to figure that out in CS3.

I opened up muse and made a mockup visually.  Exported the code and studied the html and then copy pasted the CSS into dreamweaver CC and within minutes had an identical looking layout with html5 validated code, without the extra divs.  I also simplified the CSS by hand which did not take that long.

In CS3, it would be easier to uninstall dreamweaver and code by hand in notepad++ then even try to do that.

I do not use Dreamweaver as a code editor for that I use notepad++, it is easier.   But working with CSS layouts visually in dreamweaver and the auto finding of dependant files dreamweaver CC wins. 

For example I was working with a CSS layout I designed and I was trying to figure out how to clear fix floated items so they were contained inside of the layout.   Visually I saw an out of place div element at a glance that I NEVER would of noticed just looking at the code.  Well, not as quick as seconds vs hours or days.

CS6 and CC of dreamweaver the code generated is actually good.

Fireworks CS3, don't even begin to use it for html or exporting css.  It can sort of export css but it is not very good and the html is all weird.

For Photoshop comparing the CS3 and CS6 / CC version is like compaing elephants and the moon.  I never use photoshop for html design, I do use it to quickly resize or downsample an image which usually happens round trip from another tool such as muse.

It is a HUGE time saver to very quickly mockup layouts in Muse and then export the CSS and html into dreamweaver to tweak on it and visually get feedback as I am doing it.  I very quickly converted a non-dynamic layout, no animations or paralax stuff, to a responsive design with much simplified html. 

Though I didn't really have to do a whole lot just remove some extra divs, change some from div to html5 tags / elements and rename some of the id's and classes so I know at a glance of the name what it is.

AND Adobe is kind enough to add a very nice clear fix that solves the floated element problem.

I didn't have to do anything there other than switch the associated elements to the name of my containers.  No need for adding "clearfix" to the classes in my html it is just auto done in the css.

Visually looking at the exported MUSE version and my responsive layout you can't tell the difference. Except on resize mine auto adjusts for best display of content.  Looking at the code the two are not the same but it really did not take very long to convert the code.  It is not like it went from table based layout to html5. It went from mostly divs layout to html5 elements and tag names.    What, couple minutes if that to do? 

Forms is much easier to design and layout / style  in DW CC.  The html5 auto complete is nice. 

I do have other paid software that is a MUCH better editor than DW, any version.  The reason I comeback and use DW is for the easy visual layout feature. To see what I am doing as I do it you can't really quantify the time savings to that.

phpStorm has an add in to chrome that allows you to do similar but then you have TWO programs open and you have to switch between the two.  In Dreamweaver it is just there in the tool and it works.

CS3 is no longer supported, finding plugins that were available 5 years ago are very hard to find now and many developers stopped writing addons that work with CS3.   I am not so sure CS4 is the same and CS5 is beginning to become depreciated as well but there is still development from 3rd parties on it.

Depending on what it is you are doing, photoshop CS3 works for some basic to moderate photo editing.   Fireworks CS3 was one of my main graphics programs I used but CS6 works better. Both versions have the same tools but CS6 has a few more that are nice.

Though using the full spectrum of tools and options in Photoshop CS6 / CC is night and day compared to Fireworks.  But I still use it.

There was no Audio tool in the web version of CS3, I used Audacity and an older version of Sony's soundforge which is not in development anymore or at least the version I have in a box somewhere in the basement.  I don't use it.

Audition CC has jumped quite a bit in usability from CS6.  Soundbooth, I think it was called back in CS3 days probably can't be compared much with Audition CC.   I do a lot of audio editing as well and removing background noises is so much easier in Audition CS6 from audacity it is not comparable.  Audition CC is even easier and settings just for that alone have been simplified and been expanded upon.  Makes my life easier.

As you see I use many of the tools and do a lot more than JUST webdesign. So for me I get much more out of it than just someone that would use Dreamweaver alone.

Though to focus on your question of if I were to only be focused on dreamweaver and photoshop, would the cloud subscription be worth it or would the CS6 master collection be worth the price?

I would probably, if I wanted the features just pay the individual product subscription for photoshop and dreamweaver instead of the full cloud.

If I were sitting with notepad++ and refreshing browsers would I spend the money JUST for dreamweaver?

Below CS6, I would not.

I would probably look at other options before dreamweaver, honestly.  There are MUCH better editors out there and for less than $100.  If it wasn't for the CSS Designer I wouldn't use it at all actually.

BUT, you see I have access to the cloud and along with that I also get dreamweaver so because I already have access to it, why not use it along side what I already am using.

I am more interested in MUSE and Edge Reflow than dreamweaver only for the quick mockups and the ONLY reason I use dreamweaver is for the CSS Designer and visually seeing what I am doing when working with the CSS. 

I go from visual only designing tools to coding WITH visual feedback in dreamweaver and then just for coding I use notepad++.  That is my current work flow when it comes to web design.

Paint.Net is a good option as replacement for a web photo and graphics editor but as a Photo editor for print or family photo's etc..  it kind of sucks, though they have a lot of plugins I just find that tool more suited for web only work.  Fireworks is more than capable of my web imagery.   Photoshop CS6 and CC is turning into my main go to program for photo's but Fireworks wins out for quick web image creation / editing.

I have looked at Corel and other competitors but none of their software really compares to what Adobe has.  And I just can't get over $50.00 a month I get thousands of dollars in software I can use and make money with and do whatever I want. 

You want to know the reason I started looking at Adobe again after I swore off the company and told them to go screw themselves years ago?

The mobile development tools and in the front developing of cutting edge web development.  They not just know the market they know how to code for the new stuff coming out and are on the pulse of what is going on from standards compliant coding and developing.

I knew NOTHING about how to code for mobile and I did not know what a media query was. I didn't want to have to think about it, I just wanted to make sites and have them work in everything that people would use to view them.  I did not want to have to spend months learning the mobile stuff, I just wanted to do it once and it just worked.  So I went looking for options and that is when Creative Cloud first came out.

Muse was being released in preview and then Reflow came out in preview or I just noticed it at the sametime.  I looked at Dreamweaver and saw the CSS stuff was much much improved and the code that was generated was not crap.

Then I looked at the development that went on in the other tools and then looked at what the price was for the cloud.  It was a no brainer for me to subscribe and I did.

I don't give a crap about the politics and have no problem telling adobes development teams what I think and why I think that way. They even listened once or twice and mostly just gave it back as much as I gave it to them but in the process I understand why they do things the way they do it.

I thought it was stupid until I hit a specific situation where the way they thought actually worked and saved me some time.  I backed off calling them all bone heads at that point and just paid attention to why things work the way they do and when possible I customize the tools to work how i want or I go and switch to notepad++ or one of the other tools I work with.  No big deal.

I don't like web only software, I don't like being told how to do something or being forced to use cloud only storage. I work the way I want to and I learn very quickly, my learning curves are shorter and also longer than some, depending.   For many years I hated Adobe with a passion, swore off them after CS3 and I saw CS4 and CS5 as frankenstein monster hodge podge be everything to everyone.  I went back to hand coding sites and php.

Then I tried and purchased competitor products and they too had issues and rigid thinking in how they do things, MOST customers there complained also.  Wasn't isoloated to one company but every company and even the open source projects.

I missed just being able to visually edit and seeing what I was doing live. Working in the browser editors and plugins didn't do a whole lot for me. I still had to go back and change my code so I was tweaking in one place and having to make the same change again somewhere else.  Didn't like the duplicating efforts.

Then mobile took a big turn about a year ago with MUCH more pushing in that direction than even in 2009 and 2010.  I ignored it until everywhere I turned it was mobile this and mobile that and if you don't do this or don't do that..  Mainly it was the tools I was seeing being switched to being more mobile development oriented that got me to move that way.  

Though I don't know a whole lot about it and just now figured out media queries and can code it by hand, isn't just the query line but you have to THINK in different screen dimensions and write all the css from beginning to end with multi-screen in mind. It's a new mindset at least for me with designing websites.

That is why I subscribed to Creative Cloud.  When the tools go online only I will stop using them and cancel my subscription.  Adobe wants to do that and will be a whole new level of angry customers when that happens, talk about not liking their subscription. Online only Photoshop or dumbed down dreamweaver online only versions...  Pitch fork and buring time then!   LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at_play wrote:

The ISP's here also have a similar contract where you are locked in for at a minimum 2 years and have to pay to cancel before that time.  The costs of my internet has gone up since I started service, I am not angry about that either.

My insurance, mortgage and utilities are also a monthly service and the prices vary. None of the monthly bills I have are below 50.00.

I make money with the tools Adobe offers

Your internet, insurance, mortgage and utilities are services. Adobe is providing tools. Big difference.

Unless you want to pay a subscription service in the future for every bit of software (from all companies) you want to use for the rest of your life then you should hope CC fails.

Other companies will watch not only the outcry from Adobe customers but the final outcome at Adobe.

If every bit of software in existence went to the subscription model tomorrow, I wouldn't subscribe.

Price isn't the issue - the subscription model is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 28th -- An Open Letter to Adobe on Creative Cloud -- mac.appstorm.net

http://mac.appstorm.net/general/opinion/an-open-letter-to-adobe-on-creative-cloud/

Every time we write about Creative Cloud, our readers let us know how the new subscriptions plans don’t work out for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s rather worrying for the Adobe CFO. Only 700,000 subscribers after more than 12 months. That’s out of a total of 12.8 million Adobe customers (8.4m creative suite and 4.4m single products)

Apple sells real products. The cloud (App Store is buzzing) and has 250 million customers. Apple does not sell subscriptions apart from a few e Magazines.

Adobe can change. Adobe needs to change. Adobe needs a global level playing field like Apple. Rip off pricing outside the US is doomed to failure. That’s a lesson to be learned from Apple.

I could actually like CC given real choice, but not the present misguided strategy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines