• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a comment here recently where someone asked what you could do to avoid Adobe's subscription sevice. People replied that it is what best to move other to other companies software so that could be funded instead. I agree with that but something else that is equally important and that is to evangelize competitor's software that you really like. I just wrote a review on Amazon where I talked about how much more I liked Sketch then Fireworks and Photoshop (for webdesign.)

http://www.amazon.com/review/R37N9QYFC1JY6L/ref=cm_cr_notf_fhv_prd

It's fine to say that you don't like CC but telling people that there is a great alternatives to replace it with is twice as effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sketch looks interesting. Too bad it's only works on Apple's computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is true, Sketch sort of has to be Mac based since it's runs on technologies that I don't believe have an equivalent on Windows computers. However this provides a number of advantages:

- The developers don't have to write the program from scratch which then allows them to spend their time coming up with more features or fix bugs.

- It works like other Mac apps.

- When focusing on one platform developers can take the time to take adtantage of the latest hardware. Apps like Pixelmator and FCPX are optimized for the new Mac Pro where the competing Adobe products Photoshop and Premier are not.

I actually think focusing on one platform makes sense these days, I have to say I get a little tired of Apple introducing new tech and watching Adobe continue to ignore adding support for it. I also have no doubt that great competition will keep coming up on Windows as well. I don't use Windows these days so I am not sure what those options are. But if you have a Windows app that you think does a great job let the world know about it on social networking, Amazon, wherever. A lot of people almost seem to hold this belief that Adobe is the best at most things but it some areas (like web graphics) they have fallen way behind and not enough people are aware of this fact.

Below is a great article on Sketch. I not only like the article itself but the Twitter comments that run down the side of it. Several developers on the Photoshop team keep trying to rationalize sticking with PS CC and yet they keep getting shut down over and over again!! Hysterical! They simply can't make a good case.

https://medium.com/design-ux/25545f6cb161

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you hear the news? Adobe is now pulling the plug on CS6 perpetual licensing... Seems like even that little amount of choice was too much for the management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If true, it's just another heavy-handed tactic that monopolies use to dictate consumer action.

I'm going to buy a new PC later this year. Will be using WIndows 7 (have been happy with it) Plus, I can just re-install Creative Suite 5. No way in hell they're going to retro-actively rescind a CS5 license. No way in hell I'll use Adobe Cloud. Just too much of a scam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a link so everyone can read the news

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you here this? is there a link to this news?

Seems like there will be a rush to buy CS6 and that will prop up Adobe's bottom line for another 6 months?, after that the shareholders may see the fiscal results of a terrible business move,

I have been an Adobe user from the very first version, I have upgraded faithfully every upgrade.

Will I ever join the cloud subscription - NEVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/387724/adobe-to-halt-volume-sales-of-cs6-at-end-of-may

1 app for $20/mo

2 apps for $40/mo

17 apps for $50/mo

Anyone else see a skew in ala carte pricing here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe is now pulling the plug on CS6 perpetual licensing

As already posted, that is true for volume licenses to commercial customers ONLY... from the link

"CS6 products will remain available for individual purchase via electronic download on Adobe.com, as well as via licensing for education customers,"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John I just read that part too.. Can it be interpreted to mean that only single CS6 products can now be purchased (and no longer suites)? I'm not a native english speaker so I'm not sure how to read this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate CC as much as anyone, but let's make sure about facts.  Here is what Todd Kopriva from Adobe posted just last week at Creative Cow:

Re: Adobe 2014 Q1
by Todd Kopriva on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:08:13 pm

I have seen a lot of misunderstanding of one part of this, so I want to clarify:

The "general availability of CS6 perpetual licensing in the channel" refers to resellers. We are still selling---and will continue to sell---perpetual licenses for CS6 applications and suites through Adobe.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in other words the only way to buy CS6 is by giving Adobe your credit card info even though their website has been repeatably hacked into over the last few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through Adobe's website.

And if you think they won't price the software in a way to entice you to use Cloud...well.  It's basically a cowardly move by Adobe to make themselves the only distributor of the software. Expect a heavy price hike.  Looking at the scale of 1-2-17 that Adobe uses for Creative Cloud, I could see a 6-program CS6 license running for about $2000+USD.  They may even go so far as to retroactively alter the license to prevent people to get upgrade pricing to it.  Remember, to Adobe, you're nothing more than $$$. The only thing creative about CC, is how they think up new ways to cut the creative community's heels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pik80 wrote:

So, in other words the only way to buy CS6 is by giving Adobe your credit card info even though their website has been repeatably hacked into over the last few years.

Yes, but my point is that the guy who started this thread claims that Adobe is completely cutting off CS6 licenses.  According to Adobe statements as of last week, licenses can still be purchased.  If the guy who started this convo has additional info to the contrary, that is important and should be backed up by some actual links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

John I just read that part too.. Can it be interpreted to mean that only single CS6 products can now be purchased (and no longer suites)? I'm not a native english speaker so I'm not sure how to read this..

I read that to say that if you are a business, you may no longer buy multiple copies at a discount

You as an individual may still buy one of anything on the CS6 page... one program or a suite

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesui...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A proper purchase scale.

1 App - $20/mo.

All Apps -$50/mo

You can (one time) add 5 program of your choice for +$10/mo so...

1 app - $20/mo. (you choose)

6 apps - $30/mo. (you choose)

All Apps - $50/mo.

That way, you have some kind of middle-ground that is affordable. For what I budgeted for my upgrade, to get the software I wanted, I'd have to do the $50/mo, and that's 100% more than I had budgeted. It's just not doable. But I can see a 20% increase at $30/mo for 6 apps of my choosing (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Edge Inspect, Edge Reflow, Typekit Porfolio Plan for example).  If Adobe did something like that, I could bite. But at the same time, you'd have to be able to lock in rates for 1-year (if buying month to month) or at current cost (if buying by years) ie, if I pay $30/mo X 24 months = $720, my subscription could not be price hiked for that long (but all further subscriptions would be at current value at time of purchase).

Of course, there's still all the other issues with source files and the like but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corndogs R Us wrote:

Yes, but my point is that the guy who started this thread claims that Adobe is completely cutting off CS6 licenses.

The thread originator was speaking of going forward, that there would be no more perpetual licenses, CS6 was the last as Adobe chose to screw its customers and offer their software as "subscription only", along with all the negatives of doing so discussed throughout this thread concerning the fictitious Creative "Cloud" offering. Clearly Adobe could care less about it's customers and our concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

Corndogs R Us wrote:

Yes, but my point is that the guy who started this thread claims that Adobe is completely cutting off CS6 licenses.

The thread originator was speaking of going forward, that there would be no more perpetual licenses, CS6 was the last as Adobe chose to screw its customers and offer their software as "subscription only", along with all the negatives of doing so discussed throughout this thread concerning the fictitious Creative "Cloud" offering. Clearly Adobe could care less about it's customers and our concerns.

I think we are talking about different people.  I was responding to this comment:

1,617.Andy Bay,

Mar 24, 2014 1:36 PM   in reply to pik80

Did you hear the news? Adobe is now pulling the plug on CS6 perpetual licensing... Seems like even that little amount of choice was too much for the management.

So my point stands.  If, as Andy is alluding, they are completely pulling the plug on CS licenses, that is news, and as some of us are asking, please provide a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corndogs R Us wrote:

I think we are talking about different people.

Or perhaps you mis-worded your comment to which I then responded.

Corndogs R Us wrote:

Someone whom "posts in a thread" is different that that whom "started" the thread. That is why I responded.

Anyway, carry-on. Carefully of course however, as I am sure Adobe could pull the plug at anytime regardless of news, company comments, etc., since they lied about CS7 before they went Cloud Only, if you remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

Corndogs R Us wrote:

I think we are talking about different people.

Or perhaps you mis-worded your comment to which I then responded.

Corndogs R Us wrote:

Someone whom "posts in a thread" is different that that whom "started" the thread. That is why I responded.

Anyway, carry-on. Carefully of course however, as I am sure Adobe could pull the plug at anytime regardless of news, company comments, etc., since they lied about CS7 before they went Cloud Only, if you remember.

No worries W_J_T, this entire CC mess has all of us on edge.  For some interesting commentary, take a look at this thread over at Creative Cow, especially the charts that are posted about half way down:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/7099#7119

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thread at CreativeCow. One thing that kind of shocks me though is that thread appears to have more input from Adobe than this one does.

Other eye openers:

CC went from 400,000 to 1,800,000 subscribers. Perpetual licenses were 12 MILLION+ In what universe is that a success story?

70% of subscribers are full license!

Adobe professionals are still looking at initial purchase price of Master collection as somehow relevant for businesses instead of the upgrade path costs. I don't know of any businesses that have business plans longer than one year that consider only the initial cost and ignore maintenance costs...

Adobe is still ignoring the fact that this "no way out" model that either requires working with outdated software or tripling your budget for the same product means that the only other available option is piracy. Pretty strange since just a couple of years ago they had the single greatest piracy->legit conversion strategy in the industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who have posted information about alternatives to the Adobe programs.

Sign up for the subscription model??..... Pay for eternity to keep access to the data I have created??....  No way!

I would welcome an alternative plan in which I pay monthly (thereby spreading out the cost of updates), BUT if and only if I could buy a copy of the current version should I ever decide to stop the monthly payments AND that Adobe would allow me to buy the current version at a price that took account of the fact that I had been paying for it along the way with the monthly fees.

By not being able buy out a copy of the programs we have been using/subsidizing we are then captive!

We need to research the replacement programs and work out our "exit plans" on how to move our data when our current versions of the Adobe programs become unusable due to hardware or OS upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good plan.  Someone on another forum recommended the following for replacing Photoshop, and it does look excellent:

PhotoLine

http://www.pl32.com

Also there is OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, which is also excellent:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/suite8/

I'm currently looking at Final Cut and Motion as replacements for Premiere and AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with QuarkXpress 10 and don't need InDesign. Can open InDesign files in Quark with Markzware ID2Q.

Op 29 apr. 2014, om 17:22 heeft Corndogs R Us <forums_noreply@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by Corndogs R Us in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

Good plan. Someone on another forum recommended the following for replacing Photoshop, and it does look excellent:

PhotoLine

http://www.pl32.com

Also there is OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, which is also excellent:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/suite8/

I'm currently looking at Final Cut and Motion as replacements for Premiere and AE.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6340740#6340740

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Creative Cloud at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting to know that you can open ID files in Quark. That may be a possibility I look at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines