• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe, skipping an upgrade/s usually meant paying more for the current version so no you were never really saving a lot by doing that.

For instance, if you went from CS4 to CS5 you might have paid $375 where as going from CS3 to CS5 might as cost $750 on the same $1200 software package.

So you were paying for CS4 with your CS5 upgrade but never saw the benifits of CS4. This pricing system started with the CS packages as I recall.

But still, according to my math $375 every 18 months was cheaper then $900 every 18 months @ $50 a month. Tech writers may not understand this math but then again most tech writers are clueless. That includes CNET - their tech writer, Stephen Shankland needs a new calculator as he thinks $900 is cheaper the $375... or at least his bar graph never acknowledged the $375 price point... Dumb as a rock. No wonder they retracted the article.

The one thing your really being robbed of is the ability to sell the rights to your serial number through the Adobe serial transfer process. I sold off several serial numbers when I moved to the CS package as each of those serials were capable of allowing a user to buy that inital CS package at a discount. I profited off my first purchase of CS by about $1,500.

Most were too clueless to take advantage of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes wrote:

With Adobe, skipping an upgrade/s usually meant paying more for the current version so no you were never really saving a lot by doing that.

For instance, if you went from CS4 to CS5 you might have paid $375 where as going from CS3 to CS5 might as cost $750 on the same $1200 software package.

So you were paying for CS4 with your CS5 upgrade but never saw the benifits of CS4. This pricing system started with the CS packages as I recall.

But still, according to my math $375 every 18 months was cheaper then $900 every 18 months @ $50 a month. Tech writers may not understand this math but then again most tech writers are clueless. That includes CNET - their tech writer, Stephen Shankland needs a new calculator as he thinks $900 is cheaper the $375... or at least his bar graph never acknowledged the $375 price point... Dumb as a rock. No wonder they retracted the article.

And of course the other big difference is that you didn't loose the CS3 license if you skipped the CS4 upgrade. With Creative Cloud you effectivly do loose the previous software as soon as you stop paying for the "upgrades".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's far worse than that.

Most Adobe users didn't upgrade every cycle.  They sometimes skipped 1, or 2 release cycles!

That means going from CS2 to CS4 or from CS2 to CS5.

That means upgrading every 36 to 48 months.

That should be the real basis for any comparison with the Cloud.

I've upgraded on every version. If you skipped an upgrade during the CS years you paid the difference and saved little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes:

I've upgraded on every version. If you skipped an upgrade during the CS years you paid the difference and saved little.

That is not true.

Upgrading through Adobe certified 3rd party retailers like softwaremedia.com and others, which offered sale prices from time to time, made skipping releases very doable.  I will have to pay 3 times as much for the CC compared to what I was doing before.

And none of this even begins to address the insane concept that the moment I stop paying for the CC I won't be able to use my files!

From Adobe in the CNET article here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57586521-92/dislike-adobes-creative-cloud-subscriptions-tough-beans...

Second, Adobe wants to provide a way for customers to access their files even when they've stopped paying. That seems likely to include the ability to open, print, and export files, but not to edit them, however.

Let me get this straight, I pay $1800 for CC over three years, and then when I stop paying and a client wants me to make a change to a project, I can't.

Hmmm....Adobe...I've asked this before, but are you all high?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild wrote:

gepkes:

I've rarely seen more then a $50 savings on the CS versions unless your buying a used seriaul number and transfering it and I've been doing this for 25 years. Full versions might go on sale but upgrade sales not so much.

Let me get this straight, I pay $1800 for CC over three years, and then when I stop paying and a client wants me to make a change to a project, I can't.

All you have to do is pay $75 to edit their file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes wrote:

Presuming it takes less than a month...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg Bohn wrote:

gepkes wrote:

Presuming it takes less than a month...

And presuming that the file is still compatible with the latest version of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unaware of this URL for checking Creative Cloud status:

http://status.creativecloud.com/

Look at all the issues each and every day, so this is considered the new "flagship offering" from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe're going to sell a product with known bugs, that Adobe has a fix for (13.1) and yet won't release a patch to CS6 users only Creative Cloud users?

Meanwhile the product will get further and further behind the CC version, but Adobe will, most likely, sell it (CS6) for a premium?

CS5.5 is the last version I will be getting, There's no way I'm going to pay Adobe in perpetuity for upgrades, that may not be compatible with my system as they come along (unless I'm forced into a faster hardware upgrade cycle also. Plus, lose access to ALL my work (even if I've paid the equivalent of a couple of releases after a few years of CC) If I miss a months payment, whatever the reason.

It's kind of staggeringly audacious the contempt Adobe has shown for all the non-pro's, hobbyists or freelancers who don't get much high paying work.

MikeChambers wrote:

Adrienne Adams wrote:

A quick look at the Archive shows that as recently as April 23rd Creative Suite CS6 was being offered for sale, with no indication that Creative Suite would be abandoned on May 6th.

CS6 is still for sale:

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cat alog_sl_software_sl_creatives...

and we plan to continue to sell it. This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah they are a bunch of little new features in PS 13.1 for CC users that Boxed users didn't get. Nice, Adobe, screw the faithful customer! Who needs them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arviewallbanger, Adobe has promised updates to CS6 will be bug fixes.  AFTER first being available on their . . . Creative Cloud.

Your confidence depends upon whether or not you believe and trust Adobe promises.  I don't.  I own too much abandoned Adobe software.  Excuse me, i own diskettes, CDs, and DVDsj "licensed" from Adobe.

BUT . . . in the past . . . each piece of abandoned software gave me an upgrade opportunity to something better.  Right up to CS6 Master Collection.

Not even Microsoft is so confident about their ability to prune their customer base from perpetual licenses to World Book Encylopedia style life-time subscriptions.

Seen a World Book Encylopedia recently . . . except in used book stores?

At my age, i kinda thought CS7 Master Collection would be my last upgrade.

I haven't made up my mind about Adobe's Cloud.

But, I'm still LMAO at the Youtube Hitler video.  Even Hitler submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i saw there are now online alternate versions of the Hitler rant.  Quite different from meaning and import we first saw.

Will try to provide link to the original video.  Did Adobe have anything to do with it?

Don't know.  Bet they or their sychophants did.

Why would a legitimate business, their employees, violate multiple federal laws?

Question becomes . . . was the original youtube real . . . or was it edited later by others?

who were the others?

Think you guys know.

Conclusion of the real and original video was . . . however sad and hilarious . . . Hitler submitted to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan,

FYI these Hitler videos are a quite old (several years) internet meme. Hitler gets upset about anything you can imagine basically. The scene is taken from an absolutely superb movie called "Downfall" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) in which Hitler is finally realizing that there is no way he can win shortly before committing suicide in his bunker. I highly recommend watching the actual movie. It's available on Netflix streaming. Ever since that movie came out people have been subtitling the scene with different texts so this Adobe related one is not at all that original. It's just another one of thousands of such alternative subtitles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who paid the poster to recreate and republish the video?

Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Hitler video was great until the ending - A fictional video where in in reality Hitler would have never submitted and neither will a lot of customers. So if it was made by Adobe - Keep dreaming. Most people are not sheep who will blindly follow with whatever decisions you make.

As a filmmaker, I'm one of the people who "switched" to Adobe a couple of years ago from a competitor's software. After trying CS5.5  I fell immediately in love. I upgraded to CS6 Production Premium and planned on a life long love affair with Adobe and their upgrades. WIth Creative Cloud - No More. Some people say I own too much software to adbandon Adobe. I say, I own too much NOT TO.  I don't want to rent software that I invest in. I want to own it.

Adobe, you had a life long customer until the announcement of Creative Cloud. Many customers DO NOT want to rent software. I will never pay for a subcription to software even if Creative Cloud could edit a entire feature film by itself - I wouldn't be interested. If subscription fees were $1 a month - I wouldn't be interested. Customers DO NOT want to rent software.

I've seen several posts on FB by Adobe stating that with CC they will be able to upgrade and improve the software faster.  I don't want faster or improved software if it comes at a price of a subscription. I'll take slow upgrades and longer improvement times over innovation.. 

In the end, Adobe ignored their customers as Apple did with FCP.  Now it is time for me to "switch" to a competitor's software.

Goodbye Adobe - you lost this life long customer. And whichever executive at Adobe thought Creative Cloud was a great idea and approved it should be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

I've seen several posts on FaceBook by Adobe stating that with CC they will be able to...

I especially like the customer responses and feedback on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/adobecreativecloud?v=wall&filter=2

Alot better reading than Adobe's promises and lies. Seems like alot of (cough) "happy" customers there, does Adobe notice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt anybody paid anything for this. These videos are just made by

random people on the internet. They are very very simple to create. It

literally is no more than editing a text file, running it through a

subtitling program together with the original footage and uploading the

result to youtube. The work is only in writing the new subtitles. Note that

Adobe would never touch this even with a ten-foot pole as it is a copyright

violation to do it (the video and sound are straight from the original

movie). The movie makers tried to stop this sort of thing originally when

it became the thing to do but they ran into the Streisand effect and

eventually embraced it as great promotion for their movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Removed: not following community guidelines]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's approriate to take out your frustration on the rank and file who likely had no input on Adobe's course of action as a company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg Bohn wrote:

I don't think it's approriate to take out your frustration on the rank and file who likely had no input on Adobe's course of action as a company.

Thank you, Greg. Yes, we are only trying to help provide accurate information about Creative Cloud, we have no control or influence over company policy regarding pricing or subscription models. 

People are free to speak their minds on our forums, as long as they abide by the community guidelines: https://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

A much more productive way of letting Adobe know how you feel is to post a feature request directly to the product team(s). Just request what you want and they will read it, unlike posting in forums, which they probably will not read.

Here is the URL: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Best,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan Parker

Your post was removed. Please abide by our community guidelines: https://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

Do not:

• Personally attack people, their edits, or their comments.
  • Rant or otherwise harass, abuse, or intimidate others

Please, kindly treat everyone with respect. Adobe employees, our volunteers like MVPs and Moderators here on the forums are people too (by the way, MVPs and Moderators are not employees, they're volunteers). The people here helping out do not have any controls over pricing or subscription models.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, i see.

The corporate censors try to weigh in.

Take it to the cloud, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you guys get them . . . Adobe will send you mystery messages when you've gone off the reservation and you've made true comments they don't like.

I've received a RED letter notice i violated posting rules.

Gues i should just shut up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan Parker wrote:

Guess I should just shut up.

You should certainly change your recent approach and be more professional about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How so?  Lead by example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines