• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly right. I'm sure people can afford it if they stop being naive. It cost $1.66/day average. I'm sure they are spending or wasting that money somewhere. I've been on the subscription for nearly 3 years now and gave my physical copies to family members. I don't need outdated software that can't take advantage of my hardware.

When you buy software just like when you buy a car, you are buying a DEPRECIATING ASSET that will never be worth what you paid even after the first year, the value will diminish, especially with all the new hardware leaps every year. CS6 is still fairly solid, but performance wise especially if you're a print designer using InDesign it can't compare due to EPUB and 64 Bit in CC 2014.

The people complaining are just uncomfortable with change. If you're business can't sustain a $60/month expense, that is not you for not being business savvy, not Adobe being wrong in any way.

If you're a hobbiest not making money you should be using GIMP or Adobe Photoshop or Premiere Element or Open Source anyway assuming you haven't bootlegged it. I'm sure they are finding $60/month for their cable subscription, eating out and going to other things that don't make them any money.

The fact is they COULD make money of the Adobe software easily if they wanted to each month. At $1.66/day they could just cut coffee out of their life and afford it.
If you still think that Creative Cloud is an issue and you refuse to get over the subscription model and just try it and see if you can live with it and if it improves your productivity I cover the benefits and alternatives in a video below.

.Best Graphic Design Software 2014 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's simply not true. For people who use it casually or as a hobby it's not at all a better option. 50 dollars a month for a casual hobby is a pretty hefty price tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People who smoke spend what....$6 a pack?  Most smokers I know smoke a couple packs a week. That is $48 right there a month --- add in the future costs of treatment for cancer and it seems like smoking is a MUCH more costly "hobby".

Coffee drinkers spend at least $4 a day during the work week for their fave bev from Starbucks.  That's $80 a month.

Honestly, it's a mental thing.....the $50/month for what you get is, really, a great price IF you are into video. You have a crap-load of power in your hands when you have this software.

If you buy a pack of cigarrettes and smoke just one a month, you will likely throw away a bunch because they will get stale.....so maybe buying a pack isnt the route for you.

In the same way, maybe for those who dabble in video a tool like Adobe Elements would be better...basic editing and such....and its like $200.

But if you want Professional level software it comes with a professional level price tag and a commitment IMHO. We each have to make the call.

I, too, am wondering when I will jump onto the CC bandwagon because, honestly, the naysayers all up in arms about the "renting" thing have gotten into my head. LOL

But truth be told, Premiere, Encore and the other apps Iove ROCK and it is likely I will eventually make the leap eventually.

I voiced my opinion on this many months ago in this same thread and am not surprised it is still going strong....and not really looking to get back into this losing battle because those who just want to complain and moan about this will keep doing so forever til they either get their way or people stop responding......lol...but really folks, vote with your wallet, not on a forum.  If you think you get better value elsewhere for a cheaper or less "serfdomish" arrangement, go for it.

The only way Adobe will offer any other option is if you voice your opinion with your wallet and take away market share. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Davez.

Your comparison to cigarettes isn't far off, because Adobe is also making the users dependent.

I feel voicing my opinion on a forum is better than doing nothing.

I've been angry about the perpetual licensing since CC came out. I'm hoping that every user who disagrees with the system will do the same.

A mild shit storm is better than nothing at all. However, I also agree, that forum posts, as a rule, are absolutely neglectable.

You're right: a social media campaign would be even better, and any type of boycott would be just grand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL ...."dependent"....maybe.....though I would argue that smoking is about as wasteful a "hobby" as can be....literally burning your money for a quick buzz/addicttion fix....at least you can make money or art with Adobe.  Or perhaps a PSA about the perils of smoking....LOL

The argument of "dependency, IMHO, is moot.... if you "own" the full version, paying a couple grand for it in the beginning, and never upgrading, you are still  "dependent" on that software too to open your old files and you are stuck with old features.  You need an upgrade to play well with new OS or equipment....or you want a new feature or fix.

But I guess I understand why some people feel like it is "renting" software.....Some people also say that leasing a car is dumb....I used to....till a deal came along I couldnt pass up.....got me into way more vehicle that I could afford to buy outright.....at the time it was the right move for me. Minimal money down for a LOT of vehicle that I ended up buying out....got a great vehicle at a great price overall.

For most, i cannot see the issue of opening old files as being a huge issue unless you are continuously rehashing old work as new, and what fun is that??.  I am sure that some folks will be affected but I have hundreds of old Adobe projects saved and honestly I have no idea why....I guess its the inner packrat in me.  LOL  I prefer to start fresh and do new stuff, occasionally borrowing pieces from old prohjects perhaps but never their whole timelines.

What I do not understand is why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth for months on end on an ADOBE forum.  If there are equal or better FREE software out there, why are folks wasting their time here? Just move on and populate the forums at your new software's home and let us "suckers" go on our way.  But no, some seem to have made it their life;s work to "get back" at Adobe.  trust me, folks, to Adobe, you are the fly buzzing around a camel's butt.   Not even noticed.

I have been around the block enough times to know that "free" typically isnt all its cracked up to be with a few exceptions.....I have found GnuCash to be a WONDERFUL and FREE alternative to Quicken.....however there is a huge learning curve....other freebies are sketchy at best or do not have the features I need, not reliable, etc etc. ....there is usually a REASON something is free....I know that is hard to believe for the younge crowd what with free "apps" for cell phones everywhere....but look closer and see that those "free apps" have built in spyware or adware or otherwise get you to give up something.....NOTHING is ever "free". Of course, as the saying goes....your mileage may vary.

I have used Fusion (full version) and After Effects.  I prefer After Effects....I just prefer the interface of AE.....saying "nodes" or something is "better" or "preferred" is opinion and marketing....IMHO.  LOL Its ll in what you prefer.  Its PC vs MAC....its electric versus regular tooth brush ......its mustard or ketchup.....its blond or brunette....its smart car vs big SUV 4x4.......its preference. There will always be someone syaing you are wrong for liking what you do.   Who cares.

And Fusion/Resolve aint free. The old versions or a lite version may be.....but again, nothing is FREE, at least not for long. You will find that you want or NEED features they are holding back etc and will end up buying the full version.  Been there, done that , got the t-shirt and souvenir photo - twice.  Then again, if you are a hobbyist just dabbling in video then maybe this approach works (a market Adobe is no longer interested in for numerous reasons).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davez wrote:

In the same way, maybe for those who dabble in video a tool like Adobe Elements would be better...basic editing and such....and its like $200.

But if you want Professional level software it comes with a professional level price tag and a commitment IMHO. We each have to make the call.

But truth be told, Premiere, Encore and the other apps Iove ROCK and it is likely I will eventually make the leap eventually.

Professional industry standard non-linear video editing and visual effects software is available for free NOW from Blackmagic: Davinci Resolve and Fusion. The so-called 'lite' versions work with up to UHD 4K footage, and pretty much include everything from the professional versions (minus the stereoscopic tools and network/team tools).

The newest version of Resolve includes multi-cam editing (lite version too!). And its colour grading tools are hard to beat - industry standard.

A node based editor such as Fusion is generally far preferable to a layer based compositor (After Effects). And its performance is many times greater as well.

All for free! Add in Blender, Krita, and a inexpensive copy of Photoline for image editing (even supports multi-layered OpenEXR files and 16/32bpc editing), and you have a mighty set of tools - for almost free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how it is a better option. As someone who doesn't make a lot of money, I'd rather save and own a software than throwing my money down the drain for a software I will not own once I stop paying. As a student I had the whole CS6 suite for 200$. I have it forever, and for the use I make I can use this for the rest if my life,I seriously do no need upgrades. Now I need Muse and they're asking me to pay monthly. My fellowship is enough money for me to eat 3weeks a month, I'm seriously not cutting that to pay for software. I'll shop around for another alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not earning a living from my creative work. I am retired and living on

a fixed income. I am a "Serious Armature" photographer who has won some

contests, have shown some work in Galleries and restaurants, have yet to

sell an image, and I pull in a hundred or so a week giving camera lessons.

I cannot afford another $600 / yr as it cannot be offset by business income.

I suspect that of all the people who currently own PS or LR, there are way

more folks like me than there are people who actually earn their living

through their work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenters who say "if you can't afford $50 per month…" are clueless as to how freelancers do business. Fixed expenses come right out of my profit margin: the higher my fixed expenses, the less money I make. I am a sole proprietor freelancer, working in a tiny rural community. My clients are small businesses, non-profits, and creatives such as writers and artists. The recession is still going strong here; businesses are cut to the bone (those that have been able to stay alive) and so my business is cut to the bone too. I have cut my prices drastically in order that my services can still be affordable. I have eliminated all nonessential business expenses, and also cut some which were very important - like professional development, conferences, etc. Adobe's move to a subscription-only model is a giant "F-U" to freelancers such as myself. I have always been on an every-other upgrade cycle like thousands of other freelancers, as this is the strategy that allows me to have reasonably up-to-date software at a price I can afford. Now I am being forced to lease software that I already own, and if I stop paying, my work is rendered unusable, and I go out of business. This is called EXTORTION.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too live in a rather rural area, a bedroom community of 7000, next to a larger 35k city. I went into an area of the city last week which had been thriving in previous years and the small businesses have been absolutely devastated. I can certainly understand the pain of a freelancer in your position. It has become very apparent that these decisions were made at Adobe with absolutely no regard for the consumer they would be affecting. It is certainly not that the people in charge didn't know, they simply didn't care.

I wish I could say that I've never seen a corporation almost intentionally try to garner so much ill will, but just yesterday noticed a blurb from the former CEO of Nestle stating that water was not a basic human right and it should be privitized. I was so taken aback I looked this up in a multitude of places to verify it.

Corporations don't, and have never cared for their consumer base. Never forget it. Adobe is about to learn the very hard lesson of what happens when you mistreat your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't understand the word "recession" because they are immune to it just like Hollywood.  I used to do freelancing and many times it was hard to budget because clients were late paying sometimes six months later.  Fifty dollars a month toward something you'll never own is a waste of money unless you're a big corporation making money from it.  If it were rent-to-own that would be a different story.

Those who say "if you can't afford $50 a month..." are probably kids living at home with mommy and daddy and can afford the luxury of the CC.  Working adults in the real world see this as a never-ending payment on their budget and something that cannot easily be removed from their budgets if they need it for their business to survive.

Whatever happened to having to be on CS6 to upgrade to the next version?  That's why they killed upgrades from CS4 and below last December.  Nothing was said then that the next version after CS6 was going to be Creative Cloud.  I faithfully upgraded all the software I was using from CS4/CS5/CS5.5 to CS6 to be eligible to the next version since we could only be one version behined.  They lied.  Since Adobe has changed most of their website, it will be impossible to find that statement again to prove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine if, Final Cut Studio was using an exlusive subscription model when Final Cut Pro X was released. Not only could you not skip the newest version, but you might possibly loose access to the previous version. Or if they let you have both versions installed and you decided to jump ship to Adobe and Avid (like many customers did), you would still have to keep paying Apple for the use of the previous version as long as you ever needed to open an older file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William Boswell wrote:

I faithfully upgraded all the software I was using from CS4/CS5/CS5.5 to CS6 to be eligible to the next version since we could only be one version behined.  They lied.  Since Adobe has changed most of their website, it will be impossible to find that statement again to prove it.

Take a loot at this link: http://web.archive.org/web/20111225143517/http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html

(accesed 25 December, 2011, accesed 19 April 2912).

What is Adobe's upgrade pricing policy?

With the availability of Adobe CS6 solutions in 2012, Adobe will no longer offer upgrade pricing to customers who are on older versions of Creative Suite dating more than one version back. Customers on versions of Creative Suite CS4, CS3, CS2 and older will not be eligible for upgrade pricing for CS6 unless they have upgraded to CS5 or CS5.5 before CS6 is released.

Why is Adobe changing its upgrade policy for CS6?

In October 2011, Adobe introduced Adobe Creative Cloud, a complete solution of cloud-based creative services, applications, and community that will enable customers to create, publish, and share across channels and mediums. Creative Cloud will be offered for as low as US$49.99 per month for an annual plan, providing our customers maximum flexibility and lower cost of entry.

Given this innovative new offering at such an attractive price, we expect that many of our customers will become Creative Cloud members. To that end, we are simplifying our perpetual license offerings for Creative Suite. This change is designed to streamline our offerings while simplifying the choices our customers need to make. Customers may choose to keep their Creative Suite perpetual licenses current in order to receive upgrade pricing when new versions of Creative Suite are released, or move to Adobe Creative Cloud when it becomes available, at an extremely attractive and affordable price.

Especially these expressions are important: "Customers may choose to keep their Creative Suite perpetual licenses current in order to receive upgrade pricing when new versions of Creative Suite are released, or move to Adobe Creative Cloud when it becomes available", "Adobe will no longer offer upgrade pricing to customers who are on older versions of Creative Suite dating more than one version back".

The word new "versions" is in plural, not in singular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hektorix, Exactly. This was a pure case of bait-and-switch. How many people forked out for CS6 upgrades in the past year and a half because of this announcement?

A quick look at the Archive shows that as recently as April 23rd Creative Suite CS6 was being offered for sale, with no indication that Creative Suite would be abandoned on May 6th.

"Not ready to move to Creative Cloud?"

http://web.archive.org/web/20130424132055/http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design-web-pre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrienne Adams wrote:

A quick look at the Archive shows that as recently as April 23rd Creative Suite CS6 was being offered for sale, with no indication that Creative Suite would be abandoned on May 6th.

CS6 is still for sale:

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesu...

and we plan to continue to sell it. This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, you are missing the point!

Whether they are continuing to sell it won't matter in few years if it effectively becomes obsolete because of incompatibility and a lack of features.

They are killing the Creative Suite system plain and simple, and leaving you no option but to eventually rent until the end of time if you need or want to use your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be supported and available for purchase, the company has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products."

= Abandonware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrienne, Abandonware ...  That's cute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

= Abandonware.

Abandonare = Adobeware 😉

If people knew that Creative Suite 6 was abandonware they would not have bought upgrades to CS6. Without many customers-upgraders last ADBE increases on Wall Street would be imposiible. Now it is time to fall.

When the mid-cycle version Creative Suite 6.5 will be available?

"So Adobe decided to ship major milestone releases of Adobe Creative Suite software approximately every two years, with mid-cycle releases that incorporate the most critical features customers need in the interim years. The first mid-cycle release is Creative Suite 5.5"

- David Wadhwani, senior vice president Adobe Systems

http://www.adobe.com/inspire-archive/may2011/articles/article1/index.html?PID=2159997

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrienne Adams wrote:

"While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be supported and available for purchase, the company has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products."

= Abandonware.

Very strange. Look at below quotation archived by 11 may 2012 year, after CS6 ships. Bolds are not original, are mine.

• Access to any language version in which the CS6 and other desktop applications are available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a Creative Suite product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the freedom and flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application.
  • 20GB of cloud storage space on www.creativecloud.com and device syncing to be able to access your work on both desktop and tablet
  • Access to online services that are not available through the desktop products alone
Is Creative Cloud a replacement for Adobe's traditional creative products and suite editions?

Adobe believes that Creative Cloud is a better way to get your desktop tools because you get access to the latest updates and features as soon as they're available, plus services that tie the new publishing workflows together. Adobe will continue to develop and sell individual CS products, and customers can purchase them through the Adobe online stores and select retail and online stores.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120511064814/http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Can I find in Adobe Store any individual CS product developed to next version in relation to CS6? Maybe any order or preorder? CC is not CS. CC product we may only rent, but I want buy CS product, not rent CC product - according to quoted FAQ (accessed 11 May 2012). I want to buy product not any subscription. When will be available mid-cycle CS6.5 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have said a lot of understatments and delusions and other inconsistent or polysemantic statements. To many...

Please read quoted above FAQ sentences again according to "ADOBE CODE OF BUSINESS CONDUCT" (bolds are mine).

Business Ethics Principles

Adobe aims to be a good corporate citizen by conducting business in an ethical manner in all of the countries in which we conduct business. We should strive to ensure that the people and companies we associate with have the same values that we expect from ourselves.

Adobe is committed to promoting integrity and maintaining high standards of ethical conduct in all of our activities.Our success is built on a foundation of integrity and depends on trusting relationships. Our reputation is founded on the personal integrity of our employees and our commitment to the following guiding business ethics principles:

• INTEGRITY AND RESPECT in conducting business according to high ethical standards and treating our employees, customers, vendors, partners, stockholders, and the community in which we work with dignity and respect

• HONESTY in our internal and external communications and all business transactions

• QUALITY in our products and services, striving to deliver the highest value to our customers and partners

• RESPONSIBILITY for our words and actions to confirm our commitment to do what we say

• FAIRNESS to our fellow employees, customers, vendors, partners, and stockholders through adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and policies and a high standard of behavior"

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/corporate-responsibility/pdfs/code-of-...

It is very sad that now we are verifying what Adobe people have said in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

178982_162352747267347_808817287_n.png

Creative Cloud: The real story...

To the naive tech writers covering this story: this is not about "boxed vs. unboxed". Downloading software has been going on long before the existence of the cloud concept. It's about owning the serial number vs. leasing the serial number. Buying into the idea of owning the serial has long been sold with the idea that one qualifies for an upgrade if and when a new release comes out.

The other missed story here is: the fact that Adobe is using the Creative Cloud subscription model to "wipe out its installed UPGRADABLE user base" that only pays the $375 upgrade fee and restore them back to paying the same full price the new buyers would have to pay every time a major version release is made and thats a big chunk of users. None of the tech articles have had the foresight to see this let alone give much acknowledgement to the $375 Creative Suite (upgrade) price in their price comparison bar charts. Why not? Good question.

The recent decrease in time from 18 to 12 months for their typical upgrade cycle was an increase in price. I'm guessing to make the Creative Cloud appear cheaper when the numbers are compared annually.

I guess when a writer's employer is responsible for the purchasing and installs of their software they wouldn't be aware of these details but I at least expect them to do their homework and report a complete unbiased article even if it does risk them not receiving ads or other benefits from Adobe.

Click "Like" to the Facebook page if you agree to join the discussion:

https://www.facebook.com/NoMandatoryCreativeCloud

and the sign the petition at:
http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-su...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes wrote:

The recent decrease in time from 18 to 12 months for their typical upgrade cycle was an increase in price. I'm guessing to make the Creative Cloud appear cheaper when the numbers are compared annually.

Yeah it was certainly not because of what Adobe stated at the time, to then now do a complete reversal shortly there after. Adobe knew they had plans to completely undermine the best interests and "choice" of "loyal" long term customers and used those lies to buy time while they implemented their deceit and mirage which is the Creative Cloud.

hektorix wrote:

Adobe have said a lot of understatments and delusions and other inconsistent or polysemantic statements. To many...

Please read quoted above FAQ sentences again according to "ADOBE CODE OF BUSINESS CONDUCT" (bolds are mine).

Business Ethics Principles

Adobe aims to be a good corporate citizen by conducting business in an ethical manner in all of the countries in which we conduct business. We should strive to ensure that the people and companies we associate with have the same values that we expect from ourselves.

Adobe is committed to promoting integrity and maintaining high standards of ethical conduct in all of our activities.Our success is built on a foundation of integrity and depends on trusting relationships. Our reputation is founded on the personal integrity of our employees and our commitment to the following guiding business ethics principles:

• INTEGRITY AND RESPECT in conducting business according to high ethical standards and treating our employees, customers, vendors, partners, stockholders, and the community in which we work with dignity and respect

• HONESTY in our internal and external communications and all business transactions

• QUALITY in our products and services, striving to deliver the highest value to our customers and partners

• RESPONSIBILITY for our words and actions to confirm our commitment to do what we say

• FAIRNESS to our fellow employees, customers, vendors, partners, and stockholders through adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and policies and a high standard of behavior"

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/corporat e-responsibility/pdfs/code-of...

It is very sad that now we are verifying what Adobe people have said in the past.

It is as if Adobe decided to sell it's soul for profit. Using the Creative Cloud mirage, deceit and yes lies, with complete disregard to its customer base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thing is really ridiculous. I manage an internal marketing department for a small company. I have to justify every expense to mangement and while I need a minimum of 5 seats of CS, most of the time we are not working in it. When we need it, we need it, but I can go entire days, sometimes even a week without opening an Adobe application. When I get asked by bean counters and management, "how much do you use it?", its hard to explain that it will now be $200/per month for our "introductory year." Followed by maybe $350/per month next year or who knows how much per month after that. Before, I could allocate the upgrade cost over a couple of years and we'd know our costs for the period in between upgrades. There appear to be no guarantees of future cost with this model.  If it all needs to be managed over the cloud, why can't I pay for the actual time I use Adobe apps? 1 hour today, 3 hours tomorrow, 15 mins on Friday? If I'm really just renting then let me rent for the time I actually use it. There has to be a better system that what they have come up with. This model skyrockets my costs for software. Adobe should at least give consumers a real choice. Then they would know exaclty how many support this new model and how many don't. Stop telling us this is what we want. We clearly don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes wrote:

The recent decrease in time from 18 to 12 months for their typical upgrade cycle was an increase in price.

It's far worse than that.

Most Adobe users didn't upgrade every cycle.  They sometimes skipped 1, or 2 release cycles!

That means going from CS2 to CS4 or from CS2 to CS5.

That means upgrading every 36 to 48 months.

That should be the real basis for any comparison with the Cloud.

Say it cost me (to pick a round number) $600 every 36 months to upgrade, for example from CS4 to CS6.

Now with the cloud it cost $1800 every 36 months.

A 200% increase in cost, or $1200 more!

Say it cost me (to pick a round number) $900 every 54 months to upgrade, for example from CS2 to CS5

Now with the cloud it cost $2700 every 54 months.

A 200% increase in cost, or $1800 more!

And yes I did upgrade from CS4 to CS6 for about that much through an Adobe certified reseller.

What a sucker I was.  I thought I was buying into a continuing franchise.

Gee....I wonder where I got that idea.  Oh yea...Adobe told me that!!!

And none of this pricing BS even begins to address the fact that when you stop paying the rental fee you stop being able to use your files.

How could any tech writer not be blasting Adobe for this.

Are they all bought and sold by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines