• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

Explorer ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this may seem petty to some, but to me it's upsetting. I've always enjoyed using adobe products for 10+ years and was rapt when they began the subscription service. It meant that their products were now streamlined and affordable.

Now though, they've increased their subscription price twice in as many years I doubt I am going to be able to continue with it. I have periods where I work and periods where I don't, and to keep having to deal with the increase in prices when what made it all so attractive in the first place was the competitive monthly cost is making it more difficult to justify.

This is a shame, it's upset me. I really don't know if I can afford $73 per month, it stings when I think i started off paying much less than that.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 131 Replies 131
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software if you are looking for an cheaper alternative.

I can't actually swap my workflow over as I require the entire CC suite to do what I do professionally, but if you just need to tweak photos I've heard Afinity is as close as you'll come to a PS replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the entire suite as well, which is another reason why I'm incredibly irritated by this poor decision of theirs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, looks good, will look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for putting me on to Affinity, buying it this weekend and have just cancelled my Adobe CC subscription (and they still gounge an extra $35 out of me for the privilege.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeking advice on an alternative to Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Formerly, Adobe did not collect GST for subscription purchases in Australia and New Zealand. However, starting last fall, the company was required to start collecting GST for online purchases, on behalf of the Australian and NZ governments. For more details, see:

Here’s Why Some Creative Cloud Subscription Prices Are Changing

Note that all annual subscriptions renewing in Oz/NZ throughout 2017 will see this tax begin to be collected, and this starts at the time of your membership renewal... So, for example, if your CC subscription renews every May, then you would begin to pay the GST starting in May 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the taxman cometh.  

That explains a lot.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need more explanation from Adobe. My subscription in 2016 was $49.99 - adding Australian GST would take it to $55. My 2017 renewal notice says $72.59 - I'm not sure where that additional $17 is coming from. Time to reinstall my Creative Suite software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't make sense, because Adobe does not want it to make sense.

This is what I got from Adobe:

"The reason for the price increase is that, US dollar has surged against many currencies and this has had an impact on Adobe revenue. To address this, we are implementing pricing changes for all Adobe products."

"As of now; we don't have any information regarding to lower the prices"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. I don't think it will stop at $72 & GST will only ever make up 10% of the total price so when it gets to $100+ per month for the same product I used to pay $49 for how are they going to "justify" that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well obviously, nobody ever likes a price increase. But it's important to note the comparison chart at the bottom of this article​, which shows that before taxes, the new Aussie prices still work out to a bit lower than the US prices in all cases (after multiplying the exchange rate).

So even after the increase, Australian customers will continue to pay Adobe less in US dollars than American customers do for the same subscription plan. (Added gov't taxes are higher though, as in Europe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to make excuses for Adobe. The reasons Adobe have given for the price increase is totally deceptive. I am no longer a subscriber and couldn't care less about Adobe. I only work with ethical companies who treat their customers with respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree to what you are saying here. One thing i have never understood about business is why existing customers are never treated with Loyalty. Its all about NEW customers, but once you are in the door.... then its time for the anusol.!

I have lodged a complaint with the ACCC and the Department of Fair Trading here in NSW, and will be following through with it. Adobe have just emailed me a Survey which was interesting.

sad times ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know how you go, I have considered doing the same. I was also asked to completed a survey, which I did. I think I gave a reasonable response considering whats going on. I have 20 days left and then I don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

s1mplem1nds  wrote

... lodged a complaint with the Department of Fair Trading ...

But again – and not to belabor the point – customers in Australia are still paying less than those in America for the same CC plans (on a US Dollar basis), even after the adjustment...

(In order to compare apples-to-apples, you have to remove the government taxes, which the company now collects but doesn't keep.)

So sorry to hear that your costs went up, but looking at what Adobe is actually receiving for the same product, how is that truly unfair?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got your last reply exactly the same from another forum user, word for word. If you work for Adobe say so. If you don't, why do you not understand my points, Adobe has never mentioned taxes in relation to the increase, why so you keep bringing it up? I don't give a rats about what other countries pay,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, sorry, don't work for Adobe. Agreed that the company did not seem to communicate clearly, fully and directly the reasons involved for the price increase.

Just trying to help shed light on what's actually behind it based on research, and point out that Aussie customers still pay Adobe less than US users, after currency exchange and taxes are netted out.

You may not care about the big picture on what's actually involved or what other countries pay, but if you don't, then you could miss comprehension of the key factors driving the change.

Best to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate.

This is the only reason for the price changes, provided by Adobe itself, all other reasons are speculation.

As part of doing business globally, Adobe monitors currency exchange rates in order to make adjustments to our pricing up or down as needed. You may be aware that currency exchange rates have fluctuated significantly over the last few years. As a result of recent changes in exchange rates in your region, the price of Adobe products and services is increasing starting on 5 June 2017<x-apple-data-detectors://1>

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darrenh55843548  schrieb

Adobe has never mentioned taxes in relation to the increase, why so you keep bringing it up? I don't give a rats about what other countries pay,

What's so hard to understand?

Adobe wants to get a revenue of 50 - 55 US-$ for a CC subscription.

In Germany it's 55 US-$, United Kingdam it's 52 US-$, Switzerland it's 54 US-$, just to name a few examples. Your 72 AU-$ are round about 53 US-$. All calculated without tax.

Be happy if you went away a long time with a lower price and for now  - it's not fun to pay more but the price is not excessive. For what reason do you think you are privileged? You can cancel if you don't like it.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only reason for the price changes, provided by Adobe itself, all other reasons are speculation.

As part of doing business globally, Adobe monitors currency exchange rates in order to make adjustments to our pricing up or down as needed. You may be aware that currency exchange rates have fluctuated significantly over the last few years. As a result of recent changes in exchange rates in your region, the price of Adobe products and services is increasing starting on 5 June 2017<x-apple-data-detectors://1>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled my subscription weeks ago.

I just don't agree with Adobe apologists. They made a record profit last year and their reason for price hikes is the exchange rate which is rubbish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking up the exchange rates, it looks like the Aussie charges after the increase are still a bit less than what we're paying in the US.

So what you're saying seems to be you are ticked off at being required to pay almost as much as I and most other users around the world pay?

Interesting attitude. Not particularly collegial, of course ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware of what consumers in the US pay. I was just coming from my own perspective where it was once really affordable and now it's increased. My main concern is it won't stop here. Two price increases in however many years & if it keeps going I won't be able to work. I'm a small fry, but I use all Adobe products and don't know how I could afford the cost with all my other expenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also don't forget to consider that your Govt requires their taxes now.  Previously they didn't.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines