• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uneasy after allowing Bomgar total access during screen share

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is long and I didn't know where to put it but I'm still feeling very uneasy about this Bomgar full access with Adobe help centers. Here goes:

My last week was spent trying to solve the problem of getting Creative Cloud to download and install on my system.  This seems to be a recurrent problem with this app but it was the first time I'd experienced it.  After spending 2 days trying different solutions found online, I decided to try calling Adobe's help center.  I think my first misstep was using an 800 number found on GetHuman.  Can anybody confirm if that is actually a legitimate Adobe help center number?

Anyway, frustrated and tired I called the number and explained what the problem was with Creative Cloud.  Without asking if I'd tried any of the solutions online, the tech immediately suggested a screen share.  In my anxiety to find a solution, I agreed.  That's where my unease began. Why? After getting access to my account and full access to my pc, here's what happened:

1) as if I'd called Sprint or T-Mobile, the tech wanted me to complete my phone contact details because it would "help them".  That made no sense to me so I said I'd do that later;

2) with the screen share with full access open, he then puts me on hold while he seeks assistance from whoever.  He then returns and proceeds to do the same thing I explained I'd been doing repeatedly for the past 48 hours - delete CC and do a reinstall, except he proceeds to try to download not the Adobe Creative Cloud uninstall tool but the recently virus infested CCLeaner.  At this point I objected, he does this silly laugh then says he got confused and thought that was what I was referring to when I said I'd used the Creative Cloud Cleaner.  Hmmm....

3) He then downloads the Adobe uninstaller, and re-installs CC.  The install fails (just as I described).  There's more silly laughter and he wants to put me on hold again while he consults with whoever.

4) In the meantime though, he has time to ask me what a green icon on my task tray is.  Why is he surveying what's on my pc and asking about it too? Isn't that a little creepy and invasive of customer privacy especially when the tech has no solution to the problem they are supposed to be solving with full access to my pc?

5) With the re-install having failed, I'm fed up and not convinced the tech knows what he's doing.  In fact, I'm feeling increasingly as if this is a phishing expedition.  Attempts to keep me on the phone and extend his access add to my unease.  Plus the sly attempt to suggest a call back which would then give them my phone number to add to my banking / address info to which they have full access.

6) Lastly, after having made that call, the help center info in my account now permanently is linked to that particular help center and phone number.  That wasn't the case before I got that number from GetHuman.  I find this out this following day when I contact chat from my account and the same exercise kicks in again: I explain my problem and the first solution is: Give us full access.  I refuse this time.

Still without a solution and unable to install Creative Cloud (which means I couldn't sync fonts or anything else to Illustrator) I finally cancelled my subscription after 4 years.

So why write all this? My concern is with Adobe not explicitly stating the legitimate phone numbers for the legitimate help centers they are using in India and wherever else.  Also why not forewarn customers that their help centers will be using this non-Adobe program, Bomgar to have full access to their computers?  What steps are taken to protect customers' information (addresses, banking info etc) when these help centers are given immediate and full access to that info and presumably authorized to ask for more?

This might sound paranoid, but I still have a distinct sense of unease on my own computer since I stupidly allowed that help center to get access.  Plus I'm still getting emails from GetHuman about whether my problem was solved.  (Does Adobe have some deal with GetHuman or something?)

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums.  to make a suggestion to adobe, Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tangerine34  wrote

I think my first misstep was using an 800 number found on GetHuman.  Can anybody confirm if that is actually a legitimate Adobe help center number?

Adobe's numbers are found here: Contact Customer Care . Any other number is not Adobe.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll use the form to make the suggestion to Adobe to make the customer care phone numbers more explicit on the site.  I'm quite ticked off now because I've found several sites where others are pointing out the fraud this company and number is engaging in with Adobe customers. 

It appears they operate as Adobe Acropro Subs; Adobe Web Sales with an 800 number that's posted on GetHuman as I explained earlier.  I'm still not sure how they had access to the database of client info to confirm details or how they were subsequently able to hijack the customer care link/interface on my account page.  This is some seriously fraudulent activity.  I'm not even sure now if my subscription has been cancelled or if the emails confirming the cancellation came from legit Adobe or this fake adobe.

Unfortunately, cancelling my credit card is easy. Finding what they may have uploaded on  my pc will be near impossible.  Perhaps a report should be made to the authorities to put a stop to this company's online fraud in the name of Adobe.

I hope that others will read this and not be tricked by them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tangerine34  wrote

I'll use the form to make the suggestion to Adobe to make the customer care phone numbers more explicit on the site. 

Go to Google search and type Contact Adobe.  It doesn't get much plainer than that.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tangerine34  wrote

I'm not even sure now if my subscription has been cancelled or if the emails confirming the cancellation came from legit Adobe or this fake adobe.

Go to https://account.adobe.com an check out your plans. You will see there all the information needed.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  The only odd thing is I called my credit card company to block any more payments (it turns out payments have been going to invoices with that phone number since 2017) and their customer care is insisting that that 800 833 number is the legitimate number they have listed for Adobe.  Stopped explaining, put a stop on payments and kept it moving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue! I needed assistance, they suggested a screen share. And then the FIRST thing the agent did was go to my systems control and open the window that prompts for the password to my computer. I took over mouse and closed window. This repeated a few times until I could grab control of cursor and go back to chat window to say please stop requesting access until you tell me why that is needed for this issue. They stopped. But then immediately opened my PS and started messing with settings- this would be concerning if I was addressing a problem on PS, but my states issue was with a cloud based tool converting a procreate file. I had to wrestle control of cursor back agian - all while watching them madly change settings- and tell them to stop, then restate the issue. It was all pretty upsetting, and made me think I'd let a scammer into my computer. Whatever system they have now for remote access is too aggressive and doesn't let the user have much control once they enter chat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away! Real Adobe employees will never reach out via Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

1. With a browser that accepts cookies and does not have script blockers, please log-in to your account portal below.
https://account.adobe.com/plans
2. Scroll down to Adobe Help Center on the same page. Click on the chat icon.
3. Online chat is available in English 24/7.
4. In the chat box, type AGENT followed by enter key and wait for a human.
5. Alternately, phone customer service M-F during normal business hours.
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html
===============
How do I Cancel my Subscription?
https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html
===============
Subscription & Cancellation Terms:
https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

CONTACT GENUINE ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see how the remote support is a third party scammer, I got to the "bomgar app" via adobe's support help pages, still I was not comfortable giving "full access" to any remote agent, even if they are affiliated with adobe. Why do they need that. Why can't I just screenshare without access and they can just walk me through whatever they think needs done. That to me is the safest way to do it. I'm also feeling really uneasy because I'm pretty sure I denied the "full access" and then told the agent in chat, that I'd have to deal with this later, but now I'm seeing that the bomgar remote download has been remvoed and I'm not real sure how that happened, because I never removed it. Is it something that only downloads temporarily while you're using it? Idk. I just know I'm not entirely happy with adobe right now. I pay a lot for these adobe products (a lot to me because I'm not yet able to make even close to a living from my work with them) and so it would be really nice if they're weren't always bugging out on me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Piamedea-Digital,

You've resurrected an old topic.

I never said Adobe support are scammers.  I said beware of actual scammers who reach out PRIVATELY by email or private message pretending to be from the Adobe Team.  They are impostors who use Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.  Real Adobe employees will never use those channels.

To be sure you're in touch with REAL Adobe Employees, use the official phone support or online chat system below.

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

If Adobe support asks to remote connect with your system, it's safe. 

Connecting with anyone other than Adobe is entirely at your own risk.  Got it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Piamedea-Digital is on tear resurrecting old threads and making no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines