• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Creative Suite 4 run on MacOS Big Sur?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious if I will lose all my old software with this update. 

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Not only will CS4 not run on a modern Mac, you can't even install on an old operating system

The CS2-CS3-CS4 activation servers have been removed from service
-https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, will I lose my files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No CS4 is long dead and won't run on Big Sur. From Catalina onwards, 32-bit applications were discarded by MAC and CS4 falls in this category of application besides being not supported by Adobe any longer. With regards to files, if you are upgrading in place then you won't lose them, to be safe do make a copy of the files on an external drive.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m in a similar position whereby my 2013 MacBook Pro was stolen and now need to buy a new machine. Sounds like the latest and greatest won’t work, so you think if I go for a MacBook that runs Mojave or older, I might have a shot at installing my old CS4 discs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to install, but you will not be able to activate CS4 and use the software! "long dead"

As stated by @John T Smith  "The CS2-CS3-CS4 activation servers have been removed from service"

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.

So if were able to purchase CS 5/6 I might be able to install and activate on MacOS Mojave or older?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Suite is no longer legally sold by any vendor, retailer or country.   Beware of pirates selling fake copies online.   Non-genuine software can put and your new computer at great risk from malware & ransomware.  Way too much risk with no reward.

Even if you had previously purchased legitimate CS6 software when it was still available, the legacy installers are not compatible with Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave without terminal workarounds.   And they absolutely won't work on Catalina, Big Sur or beyond. 

Face it, you need modern software that's compatible with new equipment and operating systems.

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements or Premier Elements (approx $100, no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the folowing:
- Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
- Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
- Lightroom Classic
- Portfolio website + hosting
- Spark with premium features
- Bridge
- 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + apps & services) and Single Apps Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy

However I suspect Adobe does not have a solution for my particular situation. Apologies in advance for the impending sob story...

I haven’t worked since COVID came to town and my ability to secure employment has been significantly impeded by both the pandemic and personal injury. I have recently become aware of the possibility of a small ongoing job art-working files but might be a long shot as the ‘employer’ has indicated that they are looking at utilising/reworking existing student designs for their own purpose offering a prize for successful submissions, i.e. spending many hours working for free with the possibility of making some small gains. 

For me to be in with a chance I first need to submit some examples of my work, all created in CS 4 and not immediately accessible stored on hard drive, as I mentioned previously in this thread my older MacBook Pro was stolen. Then there’s the very real possibility that I’ve fallen too far behind and will not be able to compete as I’ve not regularly practised/produced anything since 2014, and even at that time I was unable to secure enough work to sustain myself financially and turned to the hospitality industry full time.

Obviously I would need new hardware to do this, and although risky, I decided I would use the last of my savings and invest in a MacBook to go for this ‘job’. 
I’ve looked into the latest M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur, and even the entry level machine appears to be quite capable at a reasonable price, though would not leave much leftover for a CC subscription [Ai/Id/Ps/Acrobat] and is hard to justify the cost when I might not even be able to secure the work, delivering a handful of files per month, and currently don’t have any real regular income. I’m also quite an old dog, not massively ‘techie’, and struggled a bit the odd time I had to use CS 5.5 so not sure how I would go with all the new tricks of CC! Additionally, and not sure how accurate this is, but was advised to hold off on CC until it had been ‘fixed’ enough to keep pace with the advances of Apples M1 chip. And would I even be able to access/work on my old CS 4 generated files.

This has lead me to revisit older hardware and try and replicate something I previously had that’s useable in a 2015 machine with my CS 4 software. As much as I would prefer to avoid buying second hand electronics, I have found someone with a refurbished MacBook Pro and is prepared to work with me to find the right MacOS that will run CS, if not my own software, something else that will work. The investment obviously isn’t as high therefore the risk is lower to me should this work not eventuate.

So really not sure there is a realistic solution for me here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't afford Creative Cloud, use FREE or low cost alternatives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy

I don’t want to completely discount Adobe altogether, though I don’t seem to be able to get definitive information in order to be certain of a solution. As I mentioned, I’m an old dog and really would struggle to learn how to use another providers software, even the newer versions of Adobe could very well trip me up!

Ive made a significant investment in CS 4 software and tuition way back when and obviously would be very convenient if I could activate the software that I own and just pick up where I left off in 2014. I appreciate that technology moves on and that there is a cost associated with this development. It is now apparent that CS 4 activation is no longer an option.

If it were possible to obtain a legitimate copy of CS 5-6, and with the correct MacOS, would it then theoretically be possible to activate the software as the servers are still currently in service?

I’m definitely not opposed to a new machine / CC subscription, there were just a few things that I’m unsure about:
You’re correct, I can’t really afford it right now, and making a 12 month commitment doesn’t seem like a viable option when I might not able to generate enough to cover the subscription, or possibly even get past the first hurdle of securing the work. If I’m being optimistic and think that I can make it all work, then new hardware with a CC subscription would be a fairly easy decision BUT is the CC software currently able to perform without functionality issue on Apples M1 machines and will I even be able to access and manipulate my CS 4 generated files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or a CC subscription might become more viable if I bought an older machine. Would there potentially be any constraints in accessing my CS 4 generated files using CC apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamiep67598753,

Documents created using a previous version are compatible with the later versions of InDesign. So your CS4 documents should open fine in CC versions.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Manan

Sounds promising...

And this would be irrespective of how new the hardware/MacOS is?

I understand there are minimum system requirements the other way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud constantly updates the system requirements. It won't run on old Mac systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever version of CC application your MAC will able to support, contingent on the minimum system requirements it will be able to open the CS4 document. The key is if you are able to install/launch a later version of InDesign on your MAC you will be able to open and edit documents that were created using an earlier version of InDesign.

One point here to note is that Adobe officially supports just the last two major versions of the app. So for InDesign, it would be CC2021 and CC2020, make your MAC purchase decisions keeping in mind this information.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re correct, I can’t really afford it right now, and making a 12 month commitment doesn’t seem like a viable option when I might not able to generate enough to cover the subscription...

========

@jamiep67598753,

Then why are you obsessed with buying an Apple machine?  You get a lot more bang for your buck with a good Windows PC for a lot less money.  Windows can run old & new apps, no problem.  Apple can't.  With Apple, you're forever chasing that illusive carrot on a stick. With Win, not so much.

The M1 chip is expensive Apple hype aimed at a luxury class of consumers with disposable income.  You do NOT NEED THIS to run Creative Cloud software.  Moreover, you'll have far less aggravation without it.  Let common sense guide you.  Focus on what's essential and affordable right now.  6-12 months from now, you can re-assess your situation, hopefully with more money in the bank.  🙂

Whatever you decide, I wish you success & best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy

Youre possibly right, however about 12 years ago I started down the Apple path and now I’m in deep into their ecosystem, obviously no Mac, but there’s the iPhone, the iPad, iCloud, plus all my design and music files on hard drive which is Mac formatted...

BTW I did used to have CS 5.5 on my new work PC, just found it much easier, more intuitive and reliable to use CS 4 on my own iMac that was a few years older. Probably just the old dog in me!

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have iPhone, iPad, etc...  but I don't need to support Apple's fancy schmancy M1 when we can get a state of the art workstation optimized for Photoshop that does more for less money.  Apple iTunes music easily converts to MP3, so that's a non-issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only will CS4 not run on a modern Mac, you can't even install on an old operating system

The CS2-CS3-CS4 activation servers have been removed from service
-https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines