Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GIT commits to repository but DW hangs and needs to be force restarted

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to using Git with DW.

On a MacBook Pro when I use Git it does commits to the repository but DW hangs and needs to be force restarted every time.
What can I do about this?
I am using MacBook Pro, GIT and DW2021

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

This has been driving me nuts for ages. I noticed that when it hangs and you swap quickly between apps the Git Repository window reappears. This has led me to think it might be a timeout issue.

So my workaround when pushing to the repository, is to move the mouse quickly around the screen until the push is finished. No more timeouts.  ðŸ™‚

Please let me know if this ridicules workaround works for anyone else? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Mac OS  -- Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey (version #)?

Have you tried restoring preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.0.1

I havent tried restoring preferences yet. I was going to do that as a last resort.

I have done this

• Enable related files > disable
  • Linting > disable
  • Code hints > disable
  • In app updates > turn off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried restoring preferences. DW still crashes after I post to Git

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a response or a solution to this? I'm having this happen on multiple machines, too.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.17.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I never did. If you find one please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a lot new to report, but I spent almost two hours on Thursday with a tech while they tried to make it happen (which it happened more than I thought it was going to). They took notes and all sorts of log files and said someone would contact me from a higher level support. 

As I was waiting for them to work with the machine, one thing I realized was the sites that I have more trouble than not with are pretty large. Smaller sites I almost never (or never) have this issue with. I am wondering if it has something to do with the size of the site and the number or size of objects or files or total commits. I'm totally just guessing here, but thought I would throw it out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still going on and it's happening with more regularity now. It's beyond just being annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an individual plan or Teams/Enterprise plan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Business plan, so I guess Enterprise (i.e. it's not an individual plan). Does that matter?

Apparently there is a bug logged on the issue and it will be fixed in the updates, but it's insane that it still hasn't been addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Work with your IT dept's admin who can request Adobe Tech Support from their Admin Console.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the admin and I did and Adobe Tech Support was useless. They even went as far as telling me that they needed to close my ticket because it was on their bug list and at some point it would be fixed through updates in the future. 

I just chatted with them again today and got the same answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is what it is then.  Fellow users can't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me nuts for ages. I noticed that when it hangs and you swap quickly between apps the Git Repository window reappears. This has led me to think it might be a timeout issue.

So my workaround when pushing to the repository, is to move the mouse quickly around the screen until the push is finished. No more timeouts.  ðŸ™‚

Please let me know if this ridicules workaround works for anyone else? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For as dumb as your solution sounds ðŸ¤£, in my using it since you posted this I've not had things crash when working with the Git Respository.

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully at some point Adobe will fix for real, but I'm not sure I will ever notice now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for me as well! Moving the mouse while the files uploads stops the timeout. Thanks @Bobby_Solo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this a few times and it hasn't worked for me yet. And not to be a negative nelly, but is this really an acceptable solution? Like @Bobby_Solo mentioned, this is a workaround. But not a solution. Our company is on an enterprise plan with a lot of staff members who use Adobe Creative Cloud, and the products aren't exactly cheap.

We first noticed the Dreamweaver freezing issues in June of 2021. In the beginning, the issue happened sporadically across our teams. Then, around September of 2022, the number of instances increased and started happening about 50% of the time, either when performing a Git Push or a Git Pull. And as of December 2022, we have been experiencing the same issues 99% of the time. And every time it happens, Dreamweaver has to be force quit. This is not a viable solution for our company.

Are there any alternative programs or software that are available to use to connect to a repository?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suthern Buckeye,

Thanks for writing to us, we apologize for the issue you are observing on your machines. Can you please confirm the Dw and OS version on which you are observing the issue. We can accordingly have a remote connect session at your convenient time to further investigate the issue.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Nayan_Kankariya,

I appreciate you taking the time to help with this issue. I am currently using version 21.3 of Adobe Dreamweaver and working on version 13.2 of macOS Ventura. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suthern Buckeye,

Thanks for confirming the versions. We see this issue is observed more frequently on macOS 13. While we are investigating the issue internally, we would like to keep you informed that the issue persists on macOS 13 only, further we will keep you informed as we make progress on this issue. As a workaround which you might be already aware, you can please try invoking Git CLI terminal from Dreamweaver's files panel or Git panel by clicking on "Open Git Terminal" for managing files in your Git repository to keep you unblocked. Please refer to the below commands for performing Pull and Push operations.

• git pull <remote_branch_name>
  • git push <remote_branch_name>

Screenshot:

Git dialog workaroundGit dialog workaround

Please feel free to refer this link for Git commands: https://www.atlassian.com/git/glossary and let us know in case you are looking for any additional info from our side.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nayan_Kankariya Seriously? Your workaround is to use the command line tool? While I have had to resort to using that and the GitHub Desktop app (which is a much better "workaround" than command line), it is amazing to me that this would be the temporary solution.

Most people using Git with Dreamweaver are doing so to make our lives easier. Not to introduce another piece of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sfabravo,

Thanks for sharing your kind thoughts. We understand user will have to use terminal due to the issue, but to unblock the user with the site files between git repo and local site folders, we have recommended the workaround. Terminal window is native to the OS and shall not require additional tools. Yes, you have mentioned rightly that GitHub Desktop app can also be a workaround along-with command line. We will further investigate the issue for other workarounds and keep the thread updated in future.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually @Nayan_Kankariya, after looking back at records I've kept on the date the issue first started, I was incorrect in saying that it began in June of 2021. This issue started on November 10, 2020. Which means it has been a problem dating back to macOS 10. I appreciate the attempt to provide a workaround to use while Adobe continues to investigate the issue. But, with all due respect, training myself on how to use the Git CLI terminal, and then having to train the rest of the staff, is not a feasible option.

How long has Adobe actively been working on a solution, and are you able to give me any indication on when this will be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello@Nayan_Kankariya, if there hasn't been any progress on this issue, I think the "Solved" status needs to be removed. And if that's not possible, I will create a new post in the Discussion or Bug catagories. All I am asking for is an honest answer on whether or not this issue is on Adobe's radar, and if so, has any progress is been made.

As I've stated before, I have a lot of staff that are experiencing the same issue, and it is my responsibility to ensure they are able to perform without any interferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suthern_Buckeye,

We apologize for the delay in our response on this thread and appreciate for your kind patience on the same. We see that the issue is frequent on macOS Ventura versions and we are investigating the behaviour internally. We will provide an update once we complete analysis on the root cause of the issue observed with Git panel related dialogs on macOS 13.

Have a pleasant day!

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines