Exit

[Locked] Bens challenge

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

You wrote:

As part of the bargain I would suggest that you produce one fully functioning responsive master/detail page using Ajax and PDO within 10 minutes as per Master-Detail Relationship with App Connect - YouTube

I don't like to disagree with you (well I do) but having watched the video I decided to have a go at your challange using ajax/mysqli. It took me all of 7mins approx to produce more or less exactly the same as that shown in the video, next time it will take me about 3mins, now I know the workflow and have snippets - no clicking!

Still think pure php is a more robust solution for this kind of thing but of course the page does have to refresh.

Cheers

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O/K, now we have a seperate discussion i am going to pose a question open to anyone but especially those who use extensions.

Instead of a simple master/detail set-up that uses ajax, how would an extension cope with the following, which is becomming a typical usage on larger e-comm sites, and one that we use in the app i work on -

The user selects the item, but instead of using ajax to insert the data in the current page a modal window opens showing all the details that would normally be seen on the detail page, complete with scroll bars if required.

To add to the above, any screen size below 9 inch, does not open a modal window, instead it inserts the data below the item selected, but does not show the full data which is still available via ajax using the detail/summary element.

BTW: I did the pdo with php 7 challenge in 39 seconds using cs6, and no 3rd party app. I did use my own pdo extension for this, so am i cheating .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many ice-creams is it worth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

How many ice-creams is it worth?

None, i know how to do it.

My point is that once something is required outside of the norm for an extension, framework or any pre-built template then the user has a problem if they do not know how the code works and more importantly how to modify it, and once one starts into css, javascript or server side code the modification often becomes difficult, (sometimes impossible) without documentation.

I do agree that extensions and bootstrap, (don't swear at me ) do add value to Dw, but the inability of Dw to allow users to create not just what extensions and frameworks can do, but to expand and improve on them, is slowly killing Dw, as too many users are now becomming code illiterate and completely reliant on extensions and frameworks for everything. This is NOT the extension creators fault, as they like anyone else are simply making a living by filling in what Dw is missing.

This is now being echoed in forum posts when users say they will post code elsewhere, and members of a certain forum, (something to do with new versions) and some acp's think no code problems should be posted here, probably explains the fall off in posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

This is NOT the extension creators fault, as they like anyone else are simply making a living by filling in what Dw is missing.

Party it is but as you say if its their way of making a living then fair play, everyone needs to make a living and I'm sure the extension developers don't care a jot who uses their products, as long as they sell. What I admire is their ability to make the extensions that is undeniably skillful and if I could I too would be bringing them to market with the same view, who cares who uses them. I just want them to fly off the shelves regardless of what damage, if any, they may be responsible for, that's down to the those that buy into them.

pziecina  wrote

This is now being echoed in forum posts when users say they will post code elsewhere, and members of a certain forum, (something to do with new versions) and some acp's think no code problems should be posted here, probably explains the fall off in posts.

Well posts related to code problems. Mostly now its a bit unproductive as far as I'm concerned in terms of really learning anything new myself, which is the downside to a forum heavily reliant on a product which relies so much on third party components. If it wasnt for the OT posts not sure I would hang around much longer to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_ 

If it wasnt for the OT posts not sure I would hang around much longer to be honest.

Others would likely say the opposite. You mentioned really learning anything new yourself in this forum. If you think about it, no one coming here is learning anything except what the opinion is of a few users who, quite frankly, are retired hobbyists that have nothing better to do. Just think of the last topic that got locked and you decided to undermine moderation and post a new OT for. And look at the moderator that locked the previous thread only to be the sole participant other than myself in this OT. Do you think the OP of the topic you hijacked will come back to ask opinion of you or others that went off topic on their question? Not likely!

People other than the regular users that post here all day, everyday quickly realize this is not a forum to learn anything, but rather a forum to read opinions of 5 people that should be discussing their personal, inexperienced opinions in their own little chatroom. Isn't there a lounge forum for OT posts? Regular posters will say yeah, but lounge rarely discusses Dreamweaver topics. Well guess what: the Dreamweaver forum rarely discusses DW topics either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller  wrote

Others would likely say the opposite.

Number of views of the OT posts would suggest otherwise. If they only got 10 views I wouldnt bother so stop personally fueling the flames if you dont want it to continue.

EbaySeller  wrote

you decided to undermine moderation and post a new OT for.

The thread was locked. It was necessary to respond to anotther poster who threw out a challenge.

EbaySeller  wrote

Do you think the OP of the topic you hijacked will come back to ask opinion of you or others that went off topic on their question? Not likely!

The OP had already recieved the information they required. If regaulars then had differing opinions those views are shared, which may or may not be helpful for others or just plain entertaining in what is a generally a dull forum. You of course go out of your way add to the dullness - you must have taken a degree in the subject .

EbaySeller  wrote

People other than the regular users that post here all day, everyday quickly realize this is not a forum to learn anything, but rather a forum to read opinions of 5 people that should be discussing their personal, inexperienced opinions in their own little chatroom.

Tell that to those that have recieved help here over the years. How many have you actually provided any useful help to, very few?

EbaySeller  wrote

Well guess what: the Dreamweaver forum rarely discusses DW topics either!

Shows how much interset you show in the forum. If you care to look at the posts the majority ARE DW topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

EbaySeller   wrote

Do you think the OP of the topic you hijacked will come back to ask opinion of you or others that went off topic on their question? Not likely!

The OP had already recieved the information they required. If regaulars then had differing opinions those views are shared, which may or may not be helpful for others or just plain entertaining in what is a generally a dull forum. You of course go out of your way add to the dullness - you must have taken a degree in the subject .

I would also like to point out to ebayseller that i did make a post in the discussion to ask if the OP wanted the discussion to continue, and i only locked it when it moved completely off-topic.

Unlike ebaysellers opinion, creating a new discussion to continue is an acceptable method in this forum, and had someone asked branching the old off-topic posts to a new discussion was also possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Unlike ebaysellers opinion, creating a new discussion to continue is an acceptable method in this forum, and had someone asked branching the old off-topic posts to a new discussion was also possible.

What is the topic of this discussion now? Pray tell! Can you please create 5+ branches of this discussion for all the avenues it went off the original topic? Can I start a topic on what kind of car do DW user's drive? It's DW-related given regular poster's logic since I occasionally drive a car to a computer that has DW installed on it. I don't expect you to see my point, but where does the line get drawn? I can't blame you or other "contributors" of this forum because you can't help it and have nothing better to do. I do blame Adobe for allowing this forum to go to the dump though. To compare to a forum that actually has participation: look at how many stackoverflow questions end up looking like DW forum's feces-laden OT posts.

PS os: your off topic discussions get lots of views because you and the small handful of others that post all day, every day on this forum look and reply to the same thread 150 thousand times. You think anyone other than you and 3 other people are looking at your discussions then you're in a fantasy world. Perception is one's reality though. If you think a lot of people are looking then in your little world it's true!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller  wrote

pziecina   wrote

PS os: your off topic discussions get lots of views because you and the small handful of others that post all day, every day on this forum look and reply to the same thread 150 thousand times. You think anyone other than you and 3 other people are looking at your discussions then you're in a fantasy world. Perception is one's reality though. If you think a lot of people are looking then in your little world it's true!

True but even the 5 of us would be hard press to get it up to 700+ views inside a day or two, as in the case of the Bootstrap css thread That's like 140 views each, even you cant believe that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riiiight

You have visited this thread at least 10 times in the last hour. I imagine that you reload the page over and over to build your post count ego to justify your ridiculous posts so you probably visit more like 50 times an hour. You also spend over 14+ hours a day on this forum. So it's not unbelievable that you and others much like yourself would visit one thread in excess of 140 times. At least I know that you can do math! I underestimated you.

PS pziecina​ is this off topic thread going to be branched into another 5 threads like I requested? Not sure what the topic of this thread is. Judging from the title I was never sure since I didn't read the other thread that was apparently viewed over 700 times by less than 5 people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller  wrote

Riiiight

You have visited this thread at least 10 times in the last hour. I imagine that you reload the page over and over to build your post count ego to justify your ridiculous posts so you probably visit more like 50 times an hour. You also spend over 14+ hours a day on this forum. So it's not unbelievable that you and others much like yourself would visit one thread in excess of 140 times. At least I know that you can do math! I underestimated you.

Now you are clutching at straws. People say and think the most riduculous things when they are pushed into a corner and have nothing left to use as serious answer.

If you want a serious answer to your pathetic reasoning. The reason that the forum is a dump (your words, not mine) is because the original News Group became this forum. Not sure you were even out of diapers when that was around but when it was it attracted a wide spectrum of contributors from beginners to professionals and wasn't particularly DW centric. It attracted dozens of posts a day, including those which addressed DW issues, morning to night and beyond, unlike this forum which now averages no more than about 10 posts per day. Its not because of people like myself or the other 4 you mention, its because of lack of willingness or the lack of knowledge that others don't contribute, they just come and take or just lurk. That's ok but don't blame the handful that are largely keeping it going for its current state!

We might not be perfect, hell we arent but if we all went tomorrow the responsibilty is down to you and for all your big talk and large mouth I cant see you giveing up much of your time to help out and provide ongoing help when its most needed.  Ok you pop in once every couple of weeks but maybe thats not enough to keeep a forum going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no point trying to reason with two narrow minded individuals. This is what the DW forum represents now, unfortunately. That is why you're the only ones participating in the forum. Bottom line.

You really think there was over 700 unique visits to this discussion today?!? If you had an inclining into how to code then you'd know there's scripts that can do that. Ask over at SO sometime if you want to learn how to code until then just stick to the DW forum since that's where you're king of the hill. Soon you will all go where Ken Binney and Murray went and when that day soon comes this forum will be back to normal discussions. Until then we can only wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller  wrote

There is no point trying to reason with two narrow minded individuals. This is what the DW forum represents now, unfortunately. That is why you're the only ones participating in the forum. Bottom line.

You really think there was over 700 unique visits to this discussion today?!? If you had an inclining into how to code then you'd know there's scripts that can do that. Ask over at SO sometime if you want to learn how to code until then just stick to the DW forum since that's where you're king of the hill. Soon you will all go where Ken Binney and Murray went and when that day soon comes this forum will be back to normal discussions. Until then we can only wait.

If the forum had to rely on contributors with your attitude anytime soon sadly it WOULD already be a Dodo, period. Unfortunately for you, whilst I might drop out, I dont think the others you mention have any intention of doing so, your going to be waiting a very long time, enjoy. Now back to please your pay master (which I fortunately don't have to do)  whilst I get some well earned sleep after another long day in the forum, 14+ hours according to you. At least I know that you CANT do maths! I over-estimated you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm thinking this has probably played itself out.

If anyone sees a valid reason to unlock this, lemme know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller

I do expect you to now post stupid irrelevant posts now, as this is your normal course when someone challenges your ego. I also expect you to complain about abuse as this you also do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you joined the forums in 2011, all you have done is critisize others and complained if they post something you do not like or goes against your ego.

Any discussion can go in any direction the creator of that discussion agrees with, and unless the creator agrees, or it goes completely off-topic no actions to lock or branch a discussion are taken.

As for criticising Dw, negative feedback can be just as usefull as positive, as it tells Adobe where someone thinks a program is going wrong. As an example in CS6 there is a css styles panel, which was replaced by css designer, however css designer has now fallen so far behind that it cannot even be used with sass files, something that requires fixing if Dw is serious about including a sass workflow, the i personally would prefer that css designer was dropped and a new updated css styles panel included.

Now to flexbox and css grid layouts, as you do not know the history of my involvement with Dw and Flexbox, it will be difficult for you to understand why i continually try to promote better support for flexbox in Dw. If you are interested then ask in the pre-release as that is covered by nda, just as my involvment with Dw and flexbox still is.

If you are serious about improving Dw for all users, just as i am and wish to do so outside of the pre-release, then this forum is the only place available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time lurker here in the Adobe forums. I was finally pushed to create an account because of the constant, and I mean CONSTANT wailing of a small handful of posters here, who continually hijack threads to have their anti-DW/anti-Bootstrap rant-discussions.

As far as I can tell, FROM ADOBE'S OWN FORUM...

1) Absolutely NOBODY should ever use DW, certainly not Bootstrap within DW, unless they happen to be a abject, rank amateur

2) No professional developer could possibly EVER use DW in the real world

3) Real developers use "my" methods, and anyone who uses anything else is a hobbiest, at best.

4) If you aren't using Flexbox and CSS Grid, you are so backward you may as well hang it up and go home

It's remarkable that Adobe allows these "contributors" to continually bash the program, and more importantly their program's users, with these passive aggressive slights, in their own forum.

It's total absurdity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McMorty  wrote

I'm a long time lurker here in the Adobe forums. I was finally pushed to create an account because of the constant, and I mean CONSTANT wailing of a small handful of posters here, who continually hijack threads to have their anti-DW/anti-Bootstrap rant-discussions.

As far as I can tell, FROM ADOBE'S OWN FORUM...

1) Absolutely NOBODY should ever use DW, certainly not Bootstrap within DW, unless they happen to be a abject, rank amateur

2) No professional developer could possibly EVER use DW in the real world

3) Real developers use "my" methods, and anyone who uses anything else is a hobbiest, at best.

4) If you aren't using Flexbox and CSS Grid, you are so backward you may as well hang it up and go home

It's remarkable that Adobe allows these "contributors" to continually bash the program, and more importantly their program's users, with these passive aggressive slights, in their own forum.

It's total absurdity.

Absurdly fake - McMorty. Thanks for your efforts though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok "osgood_".

Look at the DW forum home. I don't have enough digits to count the number of anti-DW or anti-bootstrap discussions (by you and a small number of other) there.

Fake my eye. It's a known issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McMorty  wrote

Ok "osgood_".

Look at the DW forum home. I don't have enough digits to count the number of anti-DW or anti-bootstrap discussions (by you and a small number of other) there.

Fake my eye. It's a known issue.

Here's a suggestion for you - don't read the threads you don't agree with, especaily where I'm involved, because you are obviously not going to agree any time soon, which is really just fine. How easy is that, unless of course you actually enjoy reading them, which I think you almost certainly do. You're like the person who shouts 'banish porn off the box' and is the first one to switch it on Oh boy I really do like this forum, sometimes. Now go back to DW and have fun with all those  nice extensions, which you are obviously in desperate need of to be defending it and them so forthright. You are entilted to your opinions, maybe join in more instead of just lurking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As no one else will probably reply, not wanting to voice their thoughts or opinions -

The number of regular contributors that used to post in this forum and no longer do, is i think inversely proportional to the decline in Dw features and the rise in Dw's approach to the one size fits all rwd sites, added to those the introduction of the subscription model and it's unpopular appeal, then i am not surprised you find nothing new or interesting, as many have already left for the same reasons.

I don't think anyone considers Dw a forward looking product anymore, and until someone higher in the Dw team is willing to ask themselves why, instead of defending its mediocracy, nothing will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

As no one else will probably reply, not wanting to voice their thoughts or opinions -

I guess no-one else is in a position to voice those opinions, maybe for good reason, which is a bit of a shame really as the more that contibute makes for a better forum where everyone can give and take.

Hey ho, that's life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines