• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more Muse, what about DW?

Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know what do to after using Muse.

I started using the Dreamweaver with StudioMx  but few months ago started using Muse.

Muse......March 26, 2018 we will release the final feature improvement release ...

Adobe doesn't even recommend Dreamweaver.

Should I come back to Dw?

Really need you advice.

thank you for reading,

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Coming back to the original question about Dreamweaver. It's a copy-paste from another discussion, but I do hope you understand why.

Like I promised, I checked with the senior management about the future of Dreamweaver, and their answer was that they see no reason to stop developing the product. Dreamweaver will continue to exist, period.

I understand that no amount of reassurance will suffice, but I do want to put other Dreamweaver users visiting this post at ease.

I am marking my answer as corre

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes certainly... this one seams better... just updated 8 months ago for 40 active installation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was merely clarifying your provided link of a theme vs a builder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes ... I understood...

my remarks concerning WP and its environment (what ever they are ... theme, builder, plugin ...) are generally based on the follow-up of maintenance and updates ... this generally results in the introduction of faults... so 8 months ... is some how speaking by itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general I can't imagine the average or typical Muse user moving to anything Wordpress related and feeling completely comfortable. In many cases it may be out of the realm of a designers thinking. A lot of unforeseen non-designer related things can occur in the world of Wordpress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are not you one of the developers of Wrappler ? sorry if I'm a little sluggish ...

as you said, typical Muse user could feel uncomfortable whan moving to WP, I think, that the majority of the muse users must be directed to a MuseLike ... it is true that there are some outhere solutions ... including Wrappler.

WordPress can be a little hard for a non-coder, it still remains a database-centric development ... and creating a few pages that are different (in look and feel) requires to have a minimum of separate page templates ,and settings options for specific frame of page (headers, footers, sidebar, menus...)... not to mention the customization of the modules themselves (widgets) or the nesting of the contextual menus ... including the overall responsive management (including DPI, and multiple management of images specific to WordPress ...)

since many years that I'm addict to this amazing tool... it is true that most of the pure designer that I'm involved with, scratch their mind on how to really taming the beast...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

are not you one of the developers of Wrappler ? sorry if I'm a little sluggish ...

What on earth made you think or feel that? I had previously been questioning it and somewhat speaking against various aspects of it here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to wonder how many of the posts in the 'alternatives to muse' discussion are spam?

A number of posts over the last few days, are shouting the praises of products that are not even close to being anything like Muse. Then are replied to by one or two people, (new forum members) saying thank you and how great the product looks.

Maybe it is just my suspicious mind when it comes to forums, especially when someone says a product is fantastic only a few minutes after being told about it.

I'm surprised though that Adobe or the Dw team has not responded to AL's offer (PVII), or put together a quick video of using Dw with a couple of extensions. Then again,not really surprised when one thinks about Dw 2017/18 and all its problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im staying out of this as its a true reflection of how l have known for ages that  the state and decline of the industry in general has been heading in a downwards spiral. People using bits of software that they totally depend upon coupled with off the shelf widgets WTF did they think was going to eventually happen when someone who has been pulling their strings for years decides they no longer want to participate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

Im staying out of this as its a true reflection of how l have known for ages that  the state and decline of the industry in general has been heading in a downwards spiral. People using bits of software that they totally depend upon coupled with off the shelf widgets WTF did they think was going to eventually happen when someone who has been pulling their strings for years decides they no longer want to participate.

You should at least read some of the posts in the Muse forum especially those posted over the last 24 hours in -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2470136

They remind me very much of the bootstrap/extensions vs hand coding discussions here, with almost exactly the same reasons being given for using Muse, or a visual alternatives as have been given for using bootstrap/extension in this forum.

Quite a few posts could almost be copy/pasted from this forum, except they are from different people or from people you will 'know' but stating the opposite opinion to that posted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following some of the discussions in the Muse forum as l required a bit of a laugh to lighten the last few days.

Im shocked that a percentage of posters would even consider themselves to be professional web developers and their company will collapse without Muse.  No they are not professional web developers at all and thats why they feel they have been left  canoeing up a creek without a paddle.

It might be time for some of them to move onto a different profession like brain surgery, you can pick up a packet of scapels at any good craft shop.

The advice  they are being given is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, use another automated workflow/program that you invest time and money in, are totally dependent upon, until that eventually flops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

I'm shocked that a percentage of posters would even consider themselves to be professional web developers and their company will collapse without Muse. 

Yup.  Anyone who hangs their career on a single app or service is committing professional suicide.  That goes for any profession though,  not just web design.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree Osgood. Graphic/web designers all over the world have been relying on Adobe for many, many years (I've been in the game for 30 years). Adobe is the industry standard software. We should be able to rely on Adobe to create and then stand behind their groundbreaking products as this is what we have come to expect over a very long period of time. In the past Adobe has ceased making certain important versions of software but have always had an alternative to go to, but in 30 years I have NEVER experienced the likes of the situation we now face with Muse. Adobe have blazed a trail and then left loyal followers in the lurch. It is a major loss of trust for long time clients. The days of coding websites should have been long gone a long time ago. Clients pay billions of dollars for web developers to copy and paste code from one website to another, and to duplicate sites and simply swap out graphics. We don't code to operate a computer, or code to use Indesign, or code to use a robot. We use a 'user interface'. This should be the same with web development. Designers need WYSIWYG applications so that they can get on with the job of creating engaging websites, instead of templated solutions. Muse was an answer to this, and I maintain this kind of software is still the way of the future. Mark my words. If Adobe doesn't do it, someone else will. The shame of it is that whoever takes up the baton will probably also come up with design software and then Adobe will lose all the graphic designers and web designers the world over to another company, in exactly the same way that Adobe took QuarkXpress clients way back in the day. This decision by Adobe could well and truly shoot them in the foot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tiff_meek  wrote

Adobe is the industry standard software.

For DTP application yes, for web applications its never been 'industry' standard software. The majority of professional web-developers DO NOT use DW or Muse, never have and never will.

tiff_meek  wrote

We should be able to rely on Adobe to create and then stand behind their groundbreaking products

Ground breaking products for a short period of time, web-development is constantly evolving and these ground breaking producs cease to be ground-breaking products any longer, in general they have short-shelf lives.

tiff_meek  wrote

In the past Adobe has ceased making certain important versions of software but have always had an alternative to go to, but in 30 years I have NEVER experienced the likes of the situation we now face with Muse. Adobe have blazed a trail and then left loyal followers in the lurch. It is a major loss of trust for long time clients.

I agree absolutely but it had to happen some time. Now maybe Adobe web-application users, those who claim to be professional developers, that choose the drag and drop applications to base their livihood on, will NOT place all their trust in the company in the future . They may even consider learning to code so they can never again be left in the same situation, regardless of what software company decides to pull the plug on their favorite editor. Of course this is different for those that create a one off website, they cant be expected to learn to code, so yes I do have empathy with those people.

tiff_meek  wrote

We don't code to operate a computer, or code to use Indesign

DTP has hardly changed in decades, it's the perfect environment for a 'drag and drop, pull around the screen' application. Web develpment is vastly different and a lot more complex. I'm involved in both print media and web-application.

tiff_meek  wrote

Designers need WYSIWYG applications so that they can get on with the job of creating engaging websites, instead of templated solutions. Muse was an answer to this, and I maintain this kind of software is still the way of the future. Mark my words. If Adobe doesn't do it, someone else will.

Designers such as those in the graphic world are NOT professional web-developers. There will always be software companies trying to deliver the eutopia web-application where no coding is involved and yes they may or the product many survive for a limited period but if the web continues to evolve at the pace it has over that last few years that will be a tall order if those that use such programs want to take advantage of the latest techniques.

tiff_meek  wrote

The shame of it is that whoever takes up the baton will probably also come up with design software and then Adobe will lose all the graphic designers and web designers the world over to another company, in exactly the same way that Adobe took QuarkXpress clients way back in the day. This decision by Adobe could well and truly shoot them in the foot.

No other company has come close to matching Adobe when it comes to DTP or photo-editing software and I see that continuing for the foreseeable future. As I said there has been nothing new in DTP in decades which has been critical to the workflow so to convince people to change from a well established product to one which has not been tried and tested is a major task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

tiff_meek   wrote

Adobe is the industry standard software.

For DTP application yes, for web applications its never been 'industry' standard software. The majority of professional web-developers DO NOT use DW or Muse, never have and never will.

tiff_meek   wrote

We should be able to rely on Adobe to create and then stand behind their groundbreaking products

Ground breaking products for a short period of time, web-development is constantly evolving and these ground breaking producs cease to be ground-breaking products any longer, in general they have short-shelf lives.

tiff_meek   wrote

In the past Adobe has ceased making certain important versions of software but have always had an alternative to go to, but in 30 years I have NEVER experienced the likes of the situation we now face with Muse. Adobe have blazed a trail and then left loyal followers in the lurch. It is a major loss of trust for long time clients.

I agree absolutely but it had to happen some time. Now maybe Adobe web-application users, those who claim to be professional developers, that choose the drag and drop applications to base their livihood on, will NOT place all their trust in the company in the future . They may even consider learning to code so they can never again be left in the same situation, regardless of what software company decides to pull the plug on their favorite editor. Of course this is different for those that create a one off website, they cant be expected to learn to code, so yes I do have empathy with those people.

tiff_meek   wrote

We don't code to operate a computer, or code to use Indesign

DTP has hardly changed in decades, it's the perfect environment for a 'drag and drop, pull around the screen' application. Web develpment is vastly different and a lot more complex. I'm involved in both print media and web-application.

tiff_meek   wrote

Designers need WYSIWYG applications so that they can get on with the job of creating engaging websites, instead of templated solutions. Muse was an answer to this, and I maintain this kind of software is still the way of the future. Mark my words. If Adobe doesn't do it, someone else will.

Designers such as those in the graphic world are NOT professional web-developers. There will always be software companies trying to deliver the eutopia web-application where no coding is involved and yes they may or the product many survive for a limited period but if the web continues to evolve at the pace it has over that last few years that will be a tall order if those that use such programs want to take advantage of the latest techniques.

tiff_meek   wrote

The shame of it is that whoever takes up the baton will probably also come up with design software and then Adobe will lose all the graphic designers and web designers the world over to another company, in exactly the same way that Adobe took QuarkXpress clients way back in the day. This decision by Adobe could well and truly shoot them in the foot.

No other company has come close to matching Adobe when it comes to DTP or photo-editing software and I see that continuing for the foreseeable future. As I said there has been nothing new in DTP in decades which has been critical to the workflow so to convince people to change from a well established product to one which has not been tried and tested is a major task.

1. I was talking about graphic/web designers as mentioned in the previous sentence of my original post. 

2. Of course ground-breaking products are only so for a short period of time. That goes without saying. However Adobe has always stayed ahead of the ball game with continuous improvement (updates) so that they remain ahead of their competitors (if/when there are any).

3. It didn't have to happen. We could say that the launch of a space shuttle is bound to fail sometime, but if an employee on the space program used it as an argument when there WAS a failure they would find themselves out of a job.

4. It may be a tall order, but all digital software and app companies have to deal with these challenges in today's world. Web developers have been facilitated way beyond their time. We need web solutions that are in alignment with the way the rest of the world operates. If there is a 'lag' between the development/innovation of web 'techniques' and access by designers/consumers then the market will accept that - it's the way of the world and we're used to it.

5. It's irrelevant whether or not someone has matched Adobe to date. It's entirely possible for someone to do so in future. All it would take is an entrepreneur with funds who sees an opening in the market. This event with Muse is exactly the kind of faux pax that would drive loyal clients across to another platform in droves. People are fickle. If/when there are alternatives, people will change sides to make their point. This is a sign of the times as well. People vote with their money and their customage. Companies ignore that fact at their own peril.

Cheers Tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tiff_meek  wrote

1. I was talking about graphic/web designers as mentioned in the previous sentence of my original post. 

2. Of course ground-breaking products are only so for a short period of time. That goes without saying. However Adobe has always stayed ahead of the ball game with continuous improvement (updates) so that they remain ahead of their competitors (if/when there are any).

3. It didn't have to happen. We could say that the launch of a space shuttle is bound to fail sometime, but if an employee on the space program used it as an argument when there WAS a failure they would find themselves out of a job.

4. It may be a tall order, but all digital software and app companies have to deal with these challenges in today's world. Web developers have been facilitated way beyond their time. We need web solutions that are in alignment with the way the rest of the world operates. If there is a 'lag' between the development/innovation of web 'techniques' and access by designers/consumers then the market will accept that - it's the way of the world and we're used to it.

5. It's irrelevant whether or not someone has matched Adobe to date. It's entirely possible for someone to do so in future. All it would take is an entrepreneur with funds who sees an opening in the market. This event with Muse is exactly the kind of faux pax that would drive loyal clients across to another platform in droves. People are fickle. If/when there are alternatives, people will change sides to make their point. This is a sign of the times as well. People vote with their money and their customage. Companies ignore that fact at their own peril.

Cheers Tiff

Ive been around probably longer than you in the industry. You name another software developer in the last 30 years that has bought a useful and sustainable DTP program onto the market to challenge Adobe or Quark Xpress. Yes, there is a possiblilty that in the future another software company could bridge that space but to do so they are taking huge financial risks by asking loyal users of stable programmes used over many decades and are widely renowned in the print industry to walk across that void and use their new software.

Now take a look over the same time span at how many web-editing programs, have arrived on the market and disappeared, some very innovative and state of the art when released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

tiff_meek   wrote

Cheers Tiff

Ive been around probably longer than you in the industry. You name another software developer in the last 30 years that has bought a useful and sustainable DTP program onto the market to challenge Adobe or Quark Xpress. Yes, there is a possiblilty that in the future another software company could bridge that space but to do so they are taking huge financial risks by asking loyal users of stable programmes used over many decades and are widely renowned in the print industry to walk across that void and use their new software.

Now take a look over the same time span at how many web-editing programs, have arrived on the market and disappeared, some very innovative and state of the art when released.

I have no idea of the relevance of your comment. What has happened in the past has little relevance to the future in the online space. DTP programs arrived earlier in history and have developed to a point where upgrades are no longer as relevant simply because we still use a printing press and are constrained to their capabilities. But in the online space we are only just beginning to discover what is possible. The global brain is only restricted to the boundaries of our imagination, and to our level of intellect and human advancement at any point in history. Other than that the sky is the limit. We need tools that enable creatives to create. That is the essence of innovation. Muse was the beginning stages of a new kind of tool in the world. That's all it ever was. And the tool will still come. It has to come. It simply won't be called Adobe Muse by the looks of things. Cheers Tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DTP programs arrived earlier in history and have developed to a point where upgrades are no longer as relevant simply because we still use a printing press and are constrained to their capabilities.

before arguing, I repeat once again that I am 100% on the idea of ​​developing tools "à la MUSE" that allow a pure designer to be able to push content online , without writing any extra code, and that is respectful about w3c standards, and open to the use of external widgets developed by third-party providers.

that said ... I think you are blinded by a desire to cost your arguments.

The world of printing is far from having reached a limitation due to the machines that produce the final document ... and far away without necessity.

you are not unaware that printing is oriented towards formats such as PDF (redistribute PDF as interactive layering and format, provided that it is properly structured, using proper tags and well formatted) ... but also to e-pub format. .. and what should be said about connected paper books exploring the world of scents, touches, and reliefs ... and here again we are only at the beginning of what can be envisaged ...

what you call printing-press are very often replaced with laser impressions that allow many feats and possibilities of screenings and gramages quite impressive. So our Design tools must integrate all of it...

I remember feeling the same feeling when we had to preview PostScript documents before ripping them ... and what a release when the first version of the PDF format arrived with its paid player ....

also the same feeling of blocking with XPress 3.31 ... and a kind of release when InDesign came to compete at that moment ....

today, in my opinion, we are in a turn of the same magnitude ....

our layout software gives the impression to evolve less quickly ... but to date FrameMaker's own capabilities (SGML) still remain much higher than those of HTML ... but ... for what I say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well l think you have answered your own question - dtp programs have no necessity to evolve anywhere near the pace of web applications. They  are as good as they are going to get give or take a few irrelevant tweaks.

Web applications have to evolve  quickly or they get put out to pasture frequently as a result of difficulties in keeping pace with current trends or the income from them is not deemed viable enough to continue the develoment needed to keep them relevant.

I can only accept these kinds of programs are right for the amatuer to use, not someone who is basing their business model on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... as I don't use those type of tool... perhaps that you give a try (if it's not already done )... to

and send us some feedback... does this can fit your needs ?... is this the type of tools that you need...? if not ? what is missing ?... what you expect ?...

then once a tool (or more) can be defined as a way to go to produce content using graphics tools... developpers could have a look and check about the code quality, the plug in developer could engage a widget complementary, and the bridges could then come accross....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

I agree... as I don't use those type of tool... perhaps that you give a try (if it's not already done )... to

and send us some feedback... does this can fit your needs ?... is this the type of tools that you need...? if not ? what is missing ?... what you expect ?...

then once a tool (or more) can be defined as a way to go to produce content using graphics tools... developpers could have a look and check about the code quality, the plug in developer could engage a widget complementary, and the bridges could then come accross....

I missed this post! Thank you, investigating Webflow and appreciate your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I'm starting to wonder how many of the posts in the 'alternatives to muse' discussion are spam?

A number of posts over the last few days, are shouting the praises of products that are not even close to being anything like Muse. Then are replied to by one or two people, (new forum members) saying thank you and how great the product looks.

Maybe it is just my suspicious mind when it comes to forums, especially when someone says a product is fantastic only a few minutes after being told about it.

I'm surprised though that Adobe or the Dw team has not responded to AL's offer (PVII), or put together a quick video of using Dw with a couple of extensions. Then again,not really surprised when one thinks about Dw 2017/18 and all its problems.

It is making my blood boil!

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big problem is that by doing and saying nothing, it makes Prerans statement of -

quote:

Like I promised, I checked with the senior management about the future of Dreamweaver, and their answer was that they see no reason to stop developing the product. Dreamweaver will continue to exist, period.

Look more and more like just words, and not a statement of commitment to Dreamweavers future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

pziecina   wrote

We're releasing a very useful tool... a convenience item that will enable users to add and edit styled text links, individual buttons, and lists of buttons. Our beta testers are wild about it. We could announce it on Adobe forums in a laid back way, of course, but I don't want to get accidentally banned for spam again. We could even consider a special intro offer for forum users. I just need some reassurances before taking the plunge .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

BenPleysier   wrote

pziecina    wrote

We're releasing a very useful tool... a convenience item that will enable users to add and edit styled text links, individual buttons, and lists of buttons. Our beta testers are wild about it. We could announce it on Adobe forums in a laid back way, of course, but I don't want to get accidentally banned for spam again. We could even consider a special intro offer for forum users. I just need some reassurances before taking the plunge .

AL, I will start a new discussion with a link to your home page.

If you are willing could you then repeat your post in that discussion and I will then also post in the Muse forum for those interested in at least looking at the possibility of Dw plus extensions.

I may not like extensions, but I do know there value and that they do help users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines