• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Understanding clients' businesses

Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to beef up my knowledge of the real estate business in order to sell a real estate website. However, the complexity of the business is driving me crazy, not to mention the competition with vertical market companies that specialize in real estate websites. Any DW users with real estate website experience care to comment?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

This might be of interest to you if you're open to using Business Catalyst as your development platform. 

SuperHomes: the very first BC template for real estate agencies with MLS integration included

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

I am trying to beef up my knowledge of the real estate business in order to sell a real estate website.

SMH. You have a real estate question, NOT a dreamweaver question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a web design question regarding real estate websites. DW users build websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That must be why this completely relevant DW discussion is flooded with replies? Don't be daft. You're asking about how to cater to a specific market, not how to design or code something. Ask your specific market question in a forum that deals with that specific market. Or maybe ask your high school teacher?

FWIW I am a licensed Real Estate agent and a full stack developer. I know exactly what the RE market wants and how to build it. I am not going to answer your off topic question in this forum, however.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a real estate question, NOT a dreamweaver question.

It's a web design question. It seems to me like a fair question to ask in this forum.

My guess is that there are a lot of polished CMS options out there made specifically for the real estate market, so the competition is going to be tough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rob+Hecker2  wrote

You have a real estate question, NOT a dreamweaver question.

It's a web design question. It seems to me like a fair question to ask in this forum.

My guess is that there are a lot of polished CMS options out there made specifically for the real estate market, so the competition is going to be tough.

If you feel it's a fair question to ask then why is your reply a vague, speculative guess? Perhaps because you don't have any experience in the market. Web designers don't know what RE agents want. RE agents know what they want. That's why it's better to ask RE agents instead of web designers that are inexperienced in the specific market - like yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to take EBaySellers side on this, asking what real estate agents want, requires real estate agents to answer.

I work exclusively in the aerospace engineering industry, and I am 100% certain that anyone who has not worked in that industry, on product support, doing outside working party aircraft updates would have any idea about what i do, and what those working in the industry require. Even if i was to answer a question on what the people i support required, no one here would probably understand the answer anyway, as it is so full of industry and aircraft specific tech speak and abreviations, that without having experiance in the industry, no outsider would understand it.

I am certain real estate also has its 'tech' speak, insider knowledge, etc. and without that no outsider can say anything, or say where to start in project requirements. Yes, one could visit RE sites, and see the requirements for the front end, but the back end remains closed to outsiders of the RE industry.

The only place to ask RE agents, is a RE agent forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

The only place to ask RE agents, is a RE agent forum.

Ask 10 real estate agents what they require and you'll get 10 different answers just as you would if you ask a web developer what workflow is best or what web editor to use.

You really have to assess the situation by asking your client what they require and if that clients expectation meets with your expectation skill level and budgets.

I work mainly for the lesiure industry and all my clients require different approaches based on personal needs and budgets. Its no good asking in a forum at all, you will just get a lot of opinionated information which could be neither right or wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

I work mainly for the lesiure industry and all my clients require different approaches based on personal needs and budgets.

Can you tell me the best place to visit on the 6th Jan. 2018, with good food and wine to celebrate my complete retirement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

I work mainly for the lesiure industry and all my clients require different approaches based on personal needs and budgets.

Can you tell me the best place to visit on the 6th Jan. 2018, with good food and wine to celebrate my complete retirement?

I just hope its very sunny where ever it is and I'm hugley envious. Im not quite ready yet but as you know I dont think it will be too long. As I said I've been there, done it, seen it am much more balanced, wiser and WONT miss it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done hotel or B & B websites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

Have you done hotel or B & B websites?

No, I investigated that area some years ago but it was an area which every freelance developer was diving into.  The good hotels and B&B's were being serviced by much better developers than I was at the time so I felt I could not offer anything useful. Even today the best hotels and B&B have some really nice solutions and are well catered for. Those that don't most likely don't have the budget, there are still some pretty poor examples but it's no good trying to get blood out of a stone.

These days I develop/manage for a niche leisure market. I'd like to expand out of it but its quite difficult once you get pigeon-holed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

I am trying to beef up my knowledge of the real estate business in order to sell a real estate website. However, the complexity of the business is driving me crazy, not to mention the competition with vertical market companies that specialize in real estate websites. Any DW users with real estate website experience care to comment?

I should think there is a far reaching spectrum of individuals/companies selling real estate, especially in the US where anyone and everyone can get in on the act, without having much or any experience.

You wont be able to infiltrate the top tier as they are out of your reach and beyond your skill level  BUT there will be room for you to target those that dont have infinite 'cash to trash'. It's much the same as any industry - those developers/companies that only have dollar signs engrained on their pupils won't be able to, or feel its beneath them, to work for those real estate business that have lower budgets than they feel they are worth or can command. That's good as it spreads the work around and suitable client/developer relationships are formed based on differing critrea.

I would concentrate on what you do best and assess if your skills are a good fit when the oportunity arises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brother sells Real Estate in California where the market is fiercely competitive.  It's not uncommon for new listings to sell the first day & in some cases attract multiple offers. 

IMO, the best RE web sites look great but never at the expense of form & function.  No Flash stuff either.

A great IDX search feature is essential. Buyers & sellers want to find what they're looking for quickly and not be limited to just the agent's inventory. 

Prospective clients also need to get a call back from the agent or broker ASAP, not 3 days later.   

Best Practices for Your Real Estate Website Home Page | Realtor Magazine

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, Nancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, have you done a real estate website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vacation Rentals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This might be of interest to you if you're open to using Business Catalyst as your development platform. 

SuperHomes: the very first BC template for real estate agencies with MLS integration included

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines