• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AcroTray.exe has stopped working - Terminal environment

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the terrible way Adobe is reachable for support, I will try it this way with hopefully some results.

Our users have started getting errors using Adobe Reader X after the installation of Adobe Acrobat DC. They are getting the message “Acrotray.exe has stopped working”.

We have paid licenses so would like to request support on this matter seeing it’s AcroTray.exe, component of DC, that generates the error. I will elaborate our environment.

We have a customer with 50+ users who all log in on four Windows 2008 Standard x64 Terminal Servers. On this server they have multiple application like Office,

Adobe Reader X, and many more.

The customer requested to install Adobe Acrobat DC on all four servers next to the existing Adobe Reader X installation. After the deployment of DC, the users were getting

random Acrotray.exe error messages. Some get it when they log in to Windows on the Terminal Server and others get it when generating PDF.

We can’t reproduce the error using a test account on the same server as the users, this test user is a copy of a normal user.

Here are two examples of the Windows Eventlog: Applications.

Eventlog server 01 (05-mar-2016 18:17:24)

Faulting application name: acrotray.exe, version: 15.6.30060.15959, time stamp: 0x5595fe57

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23338, time stamp: 0x56a1c6e6

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000ce843

Faulting process id: 0xf34

Faulting application start time: 0x01d17702e19a0cfc

Faulting application path: D:\Progs\Adobe Acrobat DC\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 202e502c-e2f6-11e5-9594-005056964fb8

Eventlog server 03 (07-mar-2016 10:11:12)

Faulting application name: AcroTray.exe, version: 15.6.30060.15959, time stamp: 0x5595fe57

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23338, time stamp: 0x56a1c6e6

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000ce843

Faulting process id: 0x40cc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d178514ac5c12e

Faulting application path: D:\Progs\Adobe Acrobat DC\Acrobat\AcroTray.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 8914298e-e444-11e5-9e85-0050569654e0

Does anyone have any experience in this and maybe can tell how to solve this issue?
Thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

For those who have the same issue, I believe to have found the issue causing it. When removing the following key from the windows registry we have found to have no issues anymore with acrotray.exe.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2015]

Within this key are 3 sub keys, all 3 keys need to be removed, or the 2015 key has to be removed in general. This has solved the issue for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who have the same issue, I believe to have found the issue causing it. When removing the following key from the windows registry we have found to have no issues anymore with acrotray.exe.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2015]

Within this key are 3 sub keys, all 3 keys need to be removed, or the 2015 key has to be removed in general. This has solved the issue for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about your problem.

It would be great if you could share the crash logs for the case where Acrotray.exe crashes. This would help us to isolate the issue at our end. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this is the solution to my problem as well (Two issues with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro)

The Adobe support is ridiculously bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bother you with this, but this fixed the issue on our terminalservers temporarily. After a while the crashes come back and I'm thinking about implementing a GPO for this which always deletes the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not resolve the issue with acrotray.exe crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Acrobat Pro 12 on a Windows 2012R2 Remote Desktop Service.

The Acrotray.exe will plant regularly and at any time. In a session of a user often had the error message when the user was a right click on a file.

Someone would have a solution?

Error :

Nom de l’application défaillante acrotray.exe, version : 15.6.30119.36332, horodatage : 0x5673f30f

Nom du module défaillant : ntdll.dll, version : 6.3.9600.18233, horodatage : 0x56bb4e1d

Code d’exception : 0xc0000374

Décalage d’erreur : 0x000e6054

ID du processus défaillant : 0x9468

Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d1bbc599ba1d5a

Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2015\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

ID de rapport : d7834563-27b8-11e6-80e4-00155d8c0d01

Nom complet du package défaillant :

ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error, but I don't see that registry key in my Windows 10 64-bit system.

Under Computer Management logs I see the following error:

Faulting application name: AcroTray.exe, version: 15.16.20045.57024, time stamp: 0x57487806

Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a84cbb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00085d3c

Faulting process id: 0x2680

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ccff5955d772

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\AcroTray.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

Report Id: 3e99cdf9-accc-49e6-ad38-ae1f77612b9e

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased 3 new Win 10 Pro x 64 computers in the last couple of months. Acrobat DC Standard was purchased for all of them. I have used Acrobat for many years, going back into the early 2000's or 1990's. On EVERY SINGLE computer, we get the acrotray has stopped working with probably 98% of print to Adobe PDF. We have tried all the fixes available online including uninstall, reinstall, use different browsers, use the cleanup tool-nothing works.

It is almost impossible to convert a webpage to PDF. Rarely works.

Blue screened one Dell high end Win 10 laptop because so many acrotray crashes. Was on the phone with Dell pro support and only solution was to uninstall DC. Now computer works fine but no PDF creator.

My daughter just graduated from a architecture/design school where a number of  Adobe products are used. She tells me that no one uses Adobe DC anymore because of all the crashes not only on Win 10, but also 8.1, and 7.

I had nothing but problems with Acrobat 11 on Win 8.1. Constantly having to reboot. Tried all suggested fixes there and gave up.

Last version of Adobe we  had that worked was Acrobat 9 Pro.

I am dumping all my Adobe stock. It is up but i can't understand why. With the abysmal customer service and the  products not ready for use with Windows, especially 10, this has to catch up with them.

If anyone has any permanent solutions i would  appreciate knowing. However, it is obvious to me that the software is flawed, DC, 11, etc. The only solution is to re-design the software but Adobe seems to busy cutting support and increasing prices for software that doesn't work.

Does anyone know of other PDF creator software that works? We are at the point where we are ready to write off our investment in Adobe products. Too much downtime. Another once well run company that no longer puts its customers first and produces junk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First of all, we are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused 😞

"we get the acrotray has stopped working with probably 98% of print to Adobe PDF"

==> Can you please let us know of the source application(s) from which you are printing to PDF. This can help us isolate the problem

"It is almost impossible to convert a webpage to PDF. Rarely works."

==> Can you please try the followign workarounds to convert the web page to PDF

(1) Use the Acrobat add-in/extension in the browser (Chrome, IE and Firefox) to convert the web page to PDF

(2) Use Acrobat's File -> Create PDF from Web Page...

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We get the error when printing from Microsoft Word 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information

While we resolve the issue, you can use the Acrobat PDFMaker available in Microsoft Word 2010 ribbon to convert Word documents to PDF

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too whenever I print to PDF.

On surface book Win 10

There is no reg entry as indicated above in the "answer" with 2015.

Error log:

Faulting application name: acrotray.exe, version: 15.17.20050.61080, time stamp: 0x5774e2eb

Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a84cbb

Faulting process id: 0x4874

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e79be737301a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

Report Id: 7f6a43f4-a2b0-471f-8a26-686dceb3f6e6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an exclamation mark in the middle of the AcroTray icon.

I feel like I am going insane with this issue.  I open up any pdf document.  For a few seconds it is operating - I can scroll, but then it freezes and the message "not responding" shows.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my Acrobat Pro DC.  I have tried a chat support and they sent me to Adobe Community.

All day I could not do any work in my PDF files.  I tried creating a pdf from Word doc and it freezes too.

Please please help me.

Noreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Using Windows 10 on a 64-bit PC, AcroTray has stopped working.  No 2015 Reg key to delete. Logs as follows:

Faulting application name: AcroTray.exe, version: 15.16.20045.57024, time stamp: 0x57487806

Faulting process id: 0x3d54

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d14a582a27b3

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\AcroTray.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

Report Id: 11d5f516-891a-4d0b-aab6-bd2ac1e90350

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue and no reg entry 2015 only DC

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the error message I get.  I am not in the program to receive this error.  I was saving an image to a file (.jpg) image and it popped up.  Can't fix.  Comes every minute. How do I fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It causes the whole system to freeze.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculous problem. This never occurred with the previous Acrobat version. This seems to be a huge problem and should be fixed right away. I don't appreciate Adobe staff suggesting a work-around because their pdf creator cannot create a pdf. This isn't a free software. The issue has been reported for quite a while.

Must be very confident to mess around with the registry. I saw a Microsoft Forum in which a user place a minus sign in front of the arcotray registry key code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not answered.  I see this with Windows 10, printing from FireFox.  It happens more than 50% of the time, though the PDF is usually created, nevertheless.  My registry does not contain the allegedly offending key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also on Windows 10 and I seem to get this error every time I print to PDF. Same ting, my PDF is created but this is getting really annoying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have released an update today that fixes the "AcroTray has stopped working" issue. Please open Acrobat or Reader DC and visit Help > Check for updates to make sure you are on the latest patch.

Details about the release: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/acrobat-dc-august-02-2016.html 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the patch was released on 8/2/16, why then after purchasing Acrobat DC on 8/18/16 do I get the same error message with every pdf printed - yes I do get the pdf, but what a pain. EVERY PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines